Holiday (slash photo tour) tips!

Show us your photographic skills and work in here
Todka
Been here a while

Holiday (slash photo tour) tips!

Unread post by Todka » May 22nd, 2017, 7:44 pm

Hi folks. I haven't been on the site for a little while. It feels a lot faster on a desktop now which is great.

I have a Pajero Sports now and am heading out in a few weeks time from Sydney to Ularu and Kings Canyon with lots of stops in between.

I posted up in the trip planning section but though it worth askong the group of photogs here for any tips or must see's that would help me get some great shots.

I'll be taking a bit of an expedition worthy lot of gear with maybe 4 drones (if I include my 2 backup units), plus my trusty Canon 5Dmk4, and a recently arrived Fuji GFX 50s.

Many thanks in advance! :-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Re: Holiday (slash photo tour) tips!

Unread post by the-viking » May 23rd, 2017, 7:50 am

Gidday Todka!! It's like one of the figures merging from the mist. lol
Are you saying the sites faster on the desktop as in because of NBN? Thats the case for me. Our NBN transition was as smooth as butter and works a treat. I hear so many disaster stories though.

Anyway, my thoughts on your question, and without waffling on, is, when ever possible shoot in the Golden Hour periods for your Landscapes and whack on the good old Polarising Filter for those harsh contrasty sunny midday shots. I feel I didn't need to tell you that. lol Thats it. :D
Ok.... one more thing. If your taking people photos and have the time face them away from the sun and fill them in with a tickle of flash.... Im finding this method of exposing for the ambient and then filling with flash produces amazing images. I know in your case with the 5D you have to snap on a external flash which can be a pain but give it a go. Looking forward to the results and have a great trip.

Cheers. :)

Todka
Been here a while

Unread post by Todka » May 30th, 2017, 9:15 pm

Hi Viking. Good tip. I have off-camera flash and will try to keep that in mind. I really should use fill in more. The Fuji is similar to the 5D. It's a 51mp medium format camera with no built in. Amazing that for a $10k body they don't even give you a flash! If you know HeadOn, I won the landscape prize with a shot from my last trip out to Mongo lake and luckily the Fuji was a prize so I didn't have to donate any organs to fund it.

Not sure why, but the desktop experience for me seems to be faster than before. Nothing has changed on my side so I assumed the site had an overhaul. I can be wrong as it's been a while, lost in the mist.

Looking forwards to some nice sights. Hopefully my 1 year old daughter doesn't make it all a nightmare.

Cheers mate.

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » May 31st, 2017, 5:42 am

Hi Todka.
A One year old!!!!!! :eek: lol You should be right. :o
Well done on the win. :thumb: Have you thrown that image up on here? Love to see it.
Dedicated Speedlights. Yes the dilemma is you have to be bothered to get them out and wack em on. Even though my good old 60D has a pop-up, I try not to use it. The Pro body's don't have them because they're not a good light source at a professional level and so all that body space where a pop-up goes can be utilised with larger viewfinders and prisms and what not I guess. Having said that the pop-up is a good emergency light source for 'snap' shots or wireless flash triggering even though I use and prefer remote Triggers. Anyway. Iv been a bit lazy of late in photography department but beforehand I was loving HSS Flash in bright daylight. The ability to control the ambient light and then introduce some fill flash using high shutter speeds. Blimey!! I must get the gear out. I reckon I'm going to be a tad rusty.
What model is the Fuji and is it the $10k camera? If so Wow.
How nice would it be to get ya hands on one of those Phase One's???? :)
So if you want can you post up your winning image?
Cheers.

Todka
Been here a while

Unread post by Todka » May 31st, 2017, 9:52 am

Howdy. The image is the last one in this link. It looks like a monochrome but it's actually colour.

http://toddkennedy.zenfolio.com/p189563450

The camera is a Fuji GFX50s. It's shy of the Hasselblads and the Phase One at about 1/2 the pixels, but their prices are ridiculous. The lenses on the Fuji are pretty exey also. Mine came with a 63mm prime included in the prize, and I added a 23-63 out of my own pocket.

https://www.teds.com.au/fuji-gfx-50s-me ... mat-camera

Return to “Photography”