September Photo Comp.

Show us your photographic skills and work in here
Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: September Photo Comp.

Unread post by Peter Aawen » October 3rd, 2016, 5:09 pm

Wow!! Interesting effect you've got in the wheels/sand there Todka, do you know how you got it/can you replicate it, or was it just a fluke of timing &/or those rims & the sand??

Ps: nice looking Mitsubishi too, but how on Earth do you ever keep that colour of car cool & clean in Aus?? :eek:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Todka
Been here a while

Unread post by Todka » October 3rd, 2016, 6:39 pm

Hi Peter. I just use the aircon. :-)
The sand patterns are the sand flying through the Black Rhino rims. Here's a close up from the other side. I tried 4 sets of rims for a dry fitment test before I found a set that both fitted the car and I liked the looks of.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » October 4th, 2016, 4:55 am

Yeh forget the prizes.. Like I'v said a thousand times, the beauty of this little comp is it doesn't have all the nitty gritty pesting rules that the camera clubs or similar do. The biggest rule we have is the photos have to be within the date of the current running comp. That's it really. So we have Coops, Hamo, Todka, Peter and myself bobbing around at the moment, let's see if the five of us can revigorate this forum with some good 'Australiana' photos. So think 'Australiana' guys..... :D

In regards to the mobile version being a pain to the point of not usable, for me I only really used my iPhone to check the site whilst waiting for the wife shopping or taking a break from an Inlaw visit..... :eek: and other such situations. What I don't get is the IT's would have had to put some effort into the revamp; why then just dump it and not fix the issues that have been raised by the members? Such a bloody shame. When this Photography Forum was in full swing I was thoroughly enjoying it. Now its like I can almost hear the Tummble Weed rolling past or the proverbial Crickets cherping in the background. Anyway, let's see what happens. The fact a few of you have emerged from the fog may lead me to giving it more that another month or so before I call it quits myself. :cry:

And yes! Nice new toy there Todka. The colour? Well I'm with Peter on that one. ;), and how cool is that pattern? Nice.

Cheers. :)

Flathead Fred
Been here a while

Unread post by Flathead Fred » October 5th, 2016, 9:25 pm

For me, in the last couple of months I reckon we've had 3 sunny days, and only 1 on a weekend. It's still bitterly cold out, we had a mini tornado rip through yesterday and the bitter cold and high winds are still hanging around.

If the photo comp had a "rain" theme, I would have been all over it.

I would have liked to do a night shot, but most nights were wet and under 0 degrees. Not going out in that.

The Australiana theme could be fun.

I am so sick of the #@%#^@%^#%@ cold and #@$#$@# rain! Daylight savings has started- thats meant to mean the beginning of warming up and getting out a bit. I am ever the optimist and think that some time this month it could be nice to get out there!

Flathead Fred
Been here a while

Unread post by Flathead Fred » October 5th, 2016, 9:35 pm

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » October 6th, 2016, 4:41 am

Omg!!! Flatty.. :) Another one. It's like that sene from Close Encounters of the Third Kind when all the abducted people are being released from the Mother Alain ship lol..... for those old enough to know the movie. Ok then do your best for this month and hope the weather is on your side mate.
The season has started and the wife and I are off for our first camp in a couple of weeks. Three night in Chichester SF. It's our default 'check the gear' trip. Sort of an apertiser.

Cheers.

coops62
Avid Poster

Unread post by coops62 » October 10th, 2016, 5:28 pm

Australiana

So we hot the track for our first bit of camping for the year. yet again it was cold , wet and blustery but it was happening anyway. Here's a few images taken along the way to reflect a bit of our Aussie culture

Koorda Hotel, built in 1925. My grandparents met here after having both shipped out here during the Great Depression in 1929.

Staircase in said Koorda Hotel, a work of art and iconic of most old pubs

The Drive-In - beat that for Australiana

Obligatory rockpile at top of the rocky outcrop. Kids asked me why there's always one and I have to admit, I couldn't tell them why.
96 STD HZJ80, 1HDF-T , Gturbo, W2A Intercooler, locked & lifted

smwhiskey
Been here a while

Unread post by smwhiskey » October 11th, 2016, 6:48 pm

Flathead Fred wrote: If the photo comp had a "rain" theme, I would have been all over it.
Know exactly how you feel. After 6 weeks of working stupid hours in a new role at work, we finally manage to get away for a weekend camping and this was the result - 2 Inches of water running through the camp and the 4WD tracks were closed.

Of course the weekends that we didn't go camping it was fine and sunny and the Missus had me doing the yardwork. :(

Ignore the date on the shots. Got a new GoPro clone and forgot to reset the Date/Time stamp before I used it.

Now that I'm not working stupid hours, I might actually manage to find some time to get the camera out and take some photos.

Simon
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2003 NP Exceed Pajero with a bit of lift, a large plastic straw to breathe through and hunk of steel on the front with a few bits and pieces hanging off it.

smwhiskey
Been here a while

Unread post by smwhiskey » October 11th, 2016, 7:00 pm

Late Entry for the the B&W "Australian" theme :)
Same weekend as above camp shots but the next morning after the rain cleared.

Simon
2003 NP Exceed Pajero with a bit of lift, a large plastic straw to breathe through and hunk of steel on the front with a few bits and pieces hanging off it.

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » November 2nd, 2016, 4:53 am

Hi all.
Well, other than some rather nice travelling pics from coops and smwhiskey, again a no go month for the Photo Comp forum. I deliberately didn't bother this month going on the hunch that it would be such the case. At the risk of sounding like a defeatist, I think the Photo Comp section has had its day at this point in time. I'm not suggesting for one second to close it down or anything but what I am saying is I think I'll step down running it. Seriously, I see no point. I feel like the Mayor of a ghost town. Was it really the interface upgrade that put people off? Seriously? As much as it's glitchy it's still usable, not on mobile phones I know but........ Anyway. Tiz what it is I guess. Still going to float around posting the odd photo here and there but the comps pretty much dead. If anyone has some serious ideas on how to put some life back into it (don't even think of anything that the higher beings would have to be involved in) then speak up.
Cheers. :)

coops62
Avid Poster

Unread post by coops62 » November 2nd, 2016, 9:56 am

I'd have to agree with you on this mate, it's a great pity but we're either all too busy or disinclined to join in......or both.

Top marks for your efforts in what must have been a frustrating situation.....thanks

Coops

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » November 2nd, 2016, 5:41 pm

Well firstly thanks Coops, however I have since been in touch with Peter and he has shed some promising light re developments with his contacts within the 4WD Action organisation that may lead to some final long awaited action about the issues raised by the members on the site since the up/down grade..... ;) So.... The plan is to skip a November comp and at the end of the month I'll get back in touch with Peter for his feedback. In the meantime everyone feel free to throw photos up where ever and with fingers crossed we might get back into it in the new year. :D

Cheers.

smwhiskey
Been here a while

Unread post by smwhiskey » November 2nd, 2016, 6:46 pm

the-viking wrote:Hi all.
Well, other than some rather nice travelling pics from coops and smwhiskey, again a no go month for the Photo Comp forum. I deliberately didn't bother this month going on the hunch that it would be such the case. At the risk of sounding like a defeatist, I think the Photo Comp section has had its day at this point in time.
I agree with Coops. Or at least wait till after Christmas/New Year before you make a decision.

Personally, between a secondment to a mangagement position at work and multiple renovations at home, I havn't had time to sneeze since Easter. Things are back to normal(ish) and with some long overdue holidays coming up, I can see the camera finally getting released from the cupboard

Simon

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » November 2nd, 2016, 7:50 pm

Personally, between a secondment to a mangagement position at work and multiple renovations at home, I havn't had time to sneeze since Easter. Things are back to normal(ish) and with some long overdue holidays coming up, I can see the camera finally getting released from the cupboard.
^^^Now this is what we need to hear. Iv had another chat with Peter and it's probably a good idea to right off the next two months for the comp and see what develops between now and the new year. I'd love nothing more than to see this pick up again.
Like previously said, keep posting photos in other threads or create new ones but the comp is on temporary hold. Like smwhiskey I too have had going on's at work and only now starting to get some stability, and we all know what coops has just been through. Don't take this the wrong way either guys but some new faces would be nice for the comp too. Anyway, see what happens.
Cheers.
:D :drink:

coops62
Avid Poster

Unread post by coops62 » November 7th, 2016, 12:48 am

I've long wanted a new face too......................but I've learned to live with the one that I have ;)

Return to “Photography”