Random wanderings thread

Show us your photographic skills and work in here
Flathead Fred
Been here a while

Re: Random wanderings thread

Unread post by Flathead Fred » July 1st, 2016, 8:16 pm

And what's a Kiandra? An American made toyota?

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » July 1st, 2016, 8:37 pm

Could be... but in this case it's the old Gold Fields up the top of the Snowy Mountains on the intersection of the Snowy Montains Highway & the road to Mt Selwyn Snowfields & Cabramurra, the highest town in Australia & one of the (very few) remaining Snowy Mountains Hydro owned towns situated in the middle of Kosciusko National Park. ;)

Back when the Gold Fields were booming, they used water cannons spraying high pressure water to wash away the top-soil & expose the gold bearing rock, then used more water to drive the wheels that turned the main shaft on the stamper, lifting each of the four (I think??) 100lb or so hammers at a time before dropping them onto & crushing the rock before washing the rock & soil off the gold in big panning races. The diggers (mainly Chinese) dug water 'aqueducts' (or canals if you like) many miles around & along the hillsides to bring water (mainly from 3 Mile Dam, which is, funnily enough, about 3miles up the road & stream) to the stamper & water cannon site, but the aqueducts continue on around the hillsides for many more miles, all just to get water to wherever they were working!! They are still visible today, looking sorta like a multitude of parallel sheep tracks running across the frost plains. During the first winter of the Gold Rush at Kiandra, they copped about 30 feet of snow & the diggers were lucky if they had thin canvas tents to keep them warm - most didn't, & many died!! So those who survived walked about 10 miles down the mountains (well, down what were virtually cliff faces!!) to get into the protected high country valley called Ravine, where they waited out the winter before climbing back up the ravine walls to the Gold Fields so they could start working their claims again! Lotsa history up there! :thumb:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

nilla60

Unread post by nilla60 » July 1st, 2016, 11:01 pm

Well spotted Pete! Here's a picture of the whole stamping battery. They can be found in every corner of Australia, I've seen them in corners of the Vic high country and Roothy found one on his west Cape York trip. The Kiandra one is a bit unusual as a lot of the wood is still there. There's a giant one still operating in Bendigo along with an old gold mine (well worth a look).
kiandra_mill_sml.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kiran92
Been here a while

Unread post by kiran92 » August 11th, 2016, 11:21 am

Okay... been a while since i last checked in on here..

Shameless piece of showing off.

Got one of my shots featuring in the Manta performance calendar for 2017 (my own car featured last year.
Chris Ranger for Manta-1 compressed.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I work for my weekends... and damn it, I WILL enjoy them

Return to “Photography”