Random wanderings thread

Show us your photographic skills and work in here
coops62
Avid Poster

Re: Random wanderings thread

Unread post by coops62 » April 20th, 2015, 3:06 pm

kiran92 wrote:Thanks Guys,

Im familiar with the symbols and their specific purposes, I have played around with using them out of context too.

I didn't realize the camera didn't show the RAW image though.

My preferred way to view my pics is on the TV, which sadly doesn't support .NEF's

I've slowly started using Paint.NET to edit some photo's, it's a pov-pack version of PS, when it works, the surface pen interface is a joy, the fine control is great.

I'm heading out on Friday night with some other 4wders along the powerlines, so I'll be experimenting with night action shots: is the sports mode going to handle the low light well enough, or would I better off going manual with a high ISO and wide aperture with fast shutter?
Last time I shot Powerlines at night I used High ISO on a 50mm f1.4 lens using aperture priority, you won't be able to get a decent shot if you're relying on shutter speed.
96 STD HZJ80, 1HDF-T , Gturbo, W2A Intercooler, locked & lifted

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » April 20th, 2015, 5:06 pm

Coops has bought up an important factor more than a point. f1.4!!! To get decent shots in low light/night photography as in what your doing you need big apertures, nice fast lenses, like the f1.4 he refers to. I guessed however you don't have such a lens thats why I'm suggesting flash. Out of curiosity kiran, what is your lens?

Btw, I'm going on the notion that kiran is after action shots, so that's what I talking around.

Aperture priority is great if your using a prime lens or a constant zoom like the f2.8 70-200 but if your using a kit lens like a 18-55 then you'll be given the aperture choices of f3.5 - f5.6 as your widest apertures, depending on the focal length your at. Not the best low light apertures for what kiran is doing. So many newby's think that if they go Aperture Priority and set the widest aperture of say f3.5 that thats what they'll have when zoomed right out with their kit lens.

Having had a rethink and guessing kiran has a kit lens, I'm leaning more towards using flash full stop. Unless you want crazy high ISO's. I feel a bit rusty lately Coops. Am I on the right track with this ya think? lol :)

kiran92
Been here a while

Unread post by kiran92 » April 21st, 2015, 12:45 pm

I cant be sure, but I don't believe my lens is capable of that, its a superzoom.

I got the camera body alone, my lens is a Nikkor 18-200mm
I think it's this one (don't have the camera at work this week:
http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/nik ... vr_afs_n15

Correct, I'm after action shots.
I've never really played with much nighttime photography; this is what I've done previously with that lens
compressed night shot.jpg
I've cropped it, as I made a rather tragic error and had a shrub in the bottom of the frame and it soaked up a lot of the flash.
f/4, iso: 800, exp: 1/60s, exp bias: 0
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I work for my weekends... and damn it, I WILL enjoy them

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » April 21st, 2015, 1:49 pm

Ok then. Your aperture at 18mm is f3.5 and when zoomed to 200mm its f5.6 so that is to say it reduces as you go from 18 - 200, right? So regardless of whether your choose Manual, Aperture Priority or Shutter Speed Priority, your aperture is going to change the moment you zoom.
Before you go Friday, do some test shots of your car in a similar lighting situation as to what you may have at the Lines. I really think your going to have to incorporate flash for pretty much all your shots. That little pop up flash doesn't have a lot of power though compared to a dedicated Off Camera Flash Unit. That maybe one of your next investments perhaps. There are good after market units on the Bay..... :thumb:

Like I said either Manual mode or Shutter Speed priority. It's extremely important though to choose the slowest shutter speed that will do the job. Set your ISO to auto. Flash freezes movement so a high shutter speed isn't as crucial when using flash. My starting point would be; Manual Mode. 1/60th @ f3.5, auto ISO with flash. 1/60th does two things. It will help the flash use as little power as it needs to, and it will keep your ISO as low as possible. The higher the shutter speed, the more power the flash has provide and also has to bump up the ISO.

Don't forget to check out your cameras FEC (flash exposure compensation) to increase or decrease flash power. There should be a quick go to button or menu setting to adjust this. Most importantly though, you'll have to be as close to the action as possible, to help that little flash along. Let us know how you go if you do some test shots. Cheers.

kiran92
Been here a while

Unread post by kiran92 » April 21st, 2015, 3:47 pm

Cheers Viking,

I use a grunty little 900lumen head torch to help out as it has a nice spread beam and reduces the work on my flash, i'll try some test shots Thursday night when I fly home.

kiran92
Been here a while

Unread post by kiran92 » April 30th, 2015, 1:15 pm

Well my baby was off the road due to the gearbox replacement.

I did however achieve this, totally off my night time experiments but:
Copy of IMG_8223.JPG
Copy of IMG_8228.JPG
Copy of IMG_8230.JPG
the crab is probably me my favorite, it was damn difficult to capture as he was right on the waters edge and I couldn't get in the water
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kiran92
Been here a while

Unread post by kiran92 » November 9th, 2015, 12:55 pm

So, recently we changed air carriers at my IRL job.

I was tasked to take some photos for our magazine.

Sadly I can't show off the images with people's faces clearly visible but I thought I'd share what I could
Cobham First Flight-8.jpg

Cobham First Flight-16.jpg
Last edited by kiran92 on May 6th, 2016, 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kiran92
Been here a while

Unread post by kiran92 » May 6th, 2016, 3:22 pm

Wow its been a long time since I updated this thread.

Interesting to see how my photos have changed (improved?) even in the short span of time on here.
OTOP for 4WDINWA-19.JPG
Outback to Ocean Photography-11.JPG
OTOP for 4WDINWA-26.JPG
OTOP for 4WDINWA-10.JPG

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » May 6th, 2016, 10:50 pm

lol.... You forgot splash and what ever sound tyres make in sand... :lol:...... but yes; you've progressed in leaps and bounds. :)

kiran92
Been here a while

Unread post by kiran92 » May 9th, 2016, 12:50 pm

Well the actual sound for splash was: "oh ***** I don't have a snorkel"
(its only ankle deep...that day).
probably a rustling hiss like noise?

nilla60

Unread post by nilla60 » June 30th, 2016, 9:42 pm

That's some awesome pics.

Nice thing about phones these days is that you can take a pic whenever a picture presents itself. All the same, wish I had the DSLR along on the weekend:
kiandra_mill.jpg

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » July 1st, 2016, 5:31 am

I've tried to pick what it is nilla, but giving up. What are we looking at and where? :)

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » July 1st, 2016, 9:32 am

I dunno what your problem is the-viking, surely it's clear that's gotta be ice/snow on the sides of the old stamper at Kiandra!! :sillywink:

Or maybe it's..... Ohhh forgeddit! :p
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » July 1st, 2016, 5:53 pm

Well Derrrr.... Obviously I knew that Pete; just didn't want to come across as a Mr Know it all. Sheeeesh! What is your problem? :D

Pssst...... Whats a Stamper? :o

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » July 1st, 2016, 8:11 pm

What's a stamper?! That's what you do/become when someone else not only calls you on your smart-alec remark, but then bloody well trumps it with something even better!! :purplex: :gurn:

Or it's a relic from Gold rush days, the remnants of one of the big machines they used to crush the rocks in order to release the gold ore from the surrounding rubbish. ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Return to “Photography”