General chit-chat, banter and tips for growth

Show us your photographic skills and work in here
kiran92
Been here a while

Re: General chit-chat, banter and tips for growth

Unread post by kiran92 » August 24th, 2015, 4:35 pm

the-viking wrote:This was today up at the Watagan's SF NSW. Not getting much time this month which is a bugger as I like Long Exposure Photography. These are both roughly 2" @ f22 iso100 using 'Zoom Blur' method. To get the 2" I put on my Polarising filter as well as a ND8 filter....
How do you put both filters on at the same time?
Do some have a thread on both sides?
I work for my weekends... and damn it, I WILL enjoy them

Hamo1
Been here a while

Unread post by Hamo1 » August 24th, 2015, 5:59 pm

most have threads on both sides kiran.
Atleast thats what i thought.

Or slot filters.

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » August 24th, 2015, 6:36 pm

Hi guys.
I have a screw on CPL filter that I put on first then I screw on my Cokin Z Pro adapter ring ready for the filter holder. Before I put the holder on though I choose the amount of polarisation I want and then place the holder on. In this case I turned the ring until I got maximum (darkest) polarisation because I wanted to get the slow shutter speed. Next the Filter Holder goes on and then I slide in the desired ND filter in this case a ND8. It was a bright day so even with these stacked filters I still had to drop to f22 to get a 2" exposure.
Of course if you change the orientation of the camera from 'Portrait' to 'Landscape' the polarisation will change because your effectively turning the CPL Filter. Cheers. :)

kiran92
Been here a while

Unread post by kiran92 » August 27th, 2015, 12:06 pm

Legalese and images rights: (EEEEK)

I was going to make a new thread but I figured I'd ask here instead;
I did a friend's family portraits recently and charged them a carton (fine) they were very pleased with the results (about 30 selected images, 5 of which they are using for printing)
I wanted to put a few of the best on my FB page, so I asked permission, especially important given that 2 of the participants were under 18..
I was denied (fair enough).

I've recently been asked if I could do a friend's wedding (YIKES), I've agreed in principal so long as they let me do some portraits of them as a couple WELL before the big day, and then I'll agree to do the real deal; IF they're 200% happy with my work, if not I don't want to mess up their big day, or embarrass myself.

Now for the time being I take pictures for fun or a carton; but I want to start getting contracts in place for copyright, licensing and such in place so that I can keep myself safe and have the right to use my work in competitions, personal advertising etc.
Anyone here have advice on where I should start (excluding google)?

P.S: hope that wasn't too rambling and long winded but I wanted to give some scope and context to my question

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » August 27th, 2015, 2:39 pm

Hi kiran.

Shame your mate denied you but I can understand that these days.

Now, as far as the wedding goes. I don't want to put you off but your a brave brave man. Lol. I've just refused my niece on her request to take her wedding photos and I rejected a work colleague last year as well. As flattered as I was I had to say no. As much as I'm into Photography that's one area I won't go, and here's the main reason why. Equipment. I'm confident in myself to take the photos but I just don't have the right gear. If your gear is going to fail you, this is when it will happen.... Lol. :boggle:
Weddings are about fast lenses, the ability to be able to use a Flash (off camera) or Studio Strobes correctly and equally if not more important, have back up gear. You can't rely on the weather being nice and sunny for good light either.

The only way I'd maybe consider it is if I hired the right equipment.
You've got the right idea about the pre-shoot with them but taking portraits is not quite the same as a wedding day and yes I'd want them to be 200% happy as well lol. Seriously, please don't let me put you off, I take my hat off to you for considering it. I know I may sound like a Mr negative but this is no ordinary day for them (especially the Bride). I was nervous enough doing friends 'Renewal of Vows' ceremony. Worked out really well but boy what a day! I had my wife as an assistant. She was in charge of holding the softbox on a boom and operating the reflector.

As far as the legalities and copy rights and so on some of the other guys on here would have better knowledge than me.

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » August 27th, 2015, 3:24 pm

kiran.

Check what this guys got to say. I don't mind his tubes.
Cheers. :)

http://youtu.be/M5IZz5VwQNw

kiran92
Been here a while

Unread post by kiran92 » August 27th, 2015, 4:12 pm

the-viking
I wouldn't have agreed except I already know the rough timeline (wedding isn't for at least 8 months).

I'm quite nervous, but I'll be doing the trial shots well enough in advance that if either they, or I aren't totally comfortable, they will have time to book someone else.

You've given me a fair bit to think about though, and I'm glad I caveated my agreement that I can duck out if I'm not ready.

I've been at a few weddings and never seen the photographer with more than a couple of cameras and reflectors, but maybe they were an amateur hour outfit, or decided the rest wasn't needed.
Either way,

Thanks for food for thought :thumb:

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » August 27th, 2015, 6:45 pm

Well kiran if you've got 8 months before the wedding and you decide to do it then you've got a stack of time to get clued up.
If you haven't watched that clip yet he gives a good piece of advice. That is, see if you can walk around with an experienced local wedding photographer. I reckon thats a great idea. If you explain yourself as to what you're doing they may be more than obliging, ya never know.

Cheers and good luck. :)

coops62
Avid Poster

Unread post by coops62 » August 27th, 2015, 7:18 pm

Kiran I recently shot at a wedding as my daughters were flowergirls. Thank goodness I've also decided to not participate in this any further as anything more than a hobby as it was a complete failure.
Churches are dark and dingy places and nothing but high end equipment will suffice. You also need plenty of spares (batteries, memory cards, flash, camera). Throw in patience too ;)

Here's my terms should anyone plead with me to be their tog at a wedding
Minimum charge = $5000 (I justify this because I would want two other shooters and there's at least a weeks worth of editing time, interview time, working weekends (3 togs remember), travel to & from, Bridezilla (AND her mother)
NO MOBILE PHONES and no photography by anyone else at the church, I would have this written into the contract. I couldn't get a decent shot of my own daughters due to everyone being in front of me with their phones or compacts, any shots or footage i have looks utterly ridiculous

Justification:
Equipment
Insurance (incl public liability)
Labour (both on the day and editing time)
Design fees
End Product
Taxes
Mileage
Storage
Education
Rental fees
Lease fees
96 STD HZJ80, 1HDF-T , Gturbo, W2A Intercooler, locked & lifted

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » August 27th, 2015, 9:40 pm

Churches are dark and dingy places and nothing but high end equipment will suffice.
^^^^^
This comment from coops is what I mean about fast lenses. Weddings, to do them right are the territory for full frame cameras, and wide apertures like f2.8 and above. Expertise in the use of Off Camera flash with triggers. Learning special techniques like 'Dragging the Shutter', 'Rear Curtain Sync' for the lowlight reception stuff, 'Fill Flash' for bright sunny days and at the very least an assistant. Does the expression "Run away,Run away! Come to mind right now?....... Lol :)

Even if I had all the gear tomorrow I'd still want to tag around with a good repeatable Wedding Photographer for at least 12 months before tackling my first solo flight.

If you go ahead with this you will be Knighted and will be addressed as Sir kiran on this forum... :lol:

Cheers.

kiran92
Been here a while

Unread post by kiran92 » August 28th, 2015, 10:28 am

^^^
I've been adequately spooked I promise! Running away is definitely on the cards :S
I may well run away, hence leaving a get out clause, if I'm unhappy with the trial shoot I do for them, I'll bail !

I have access to sufficient equipment, parents have a fair bit in the way of DSLR bodies, lenses etc, the only stuff I'd need to hire is lighting.

I'm organizing to meet up with the couple in a few weeks and get an idea of what they're planning; I shall update you on my insanity or common sense (depending on my decision) when I know what they want exactly.

Ave, Imperator, morituri te salutant!!

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » August 28th, 2015, 5:47 pm

Hi kiran
Can I suggest then, for lighting, you way up the cost of hiring V's buying. Your best is to stick with Speedlights, (flashes) don't go with studio strobes. If you haven't already heard of the brand Youngnuo, they make quite good to very good and I'll go as far as to say excellent gear. I'm literally about to buy my 3rd flash unit. A Yongnuo YN568II. My current two are Canon but from the reviews and for what I want it for I'm not going to fork out for Canon prices. A Yongnuo 568EXII is the equivalent to Canon's 580EXII. 580's were going from $450 up I believe where as the 568's I can get atm off the Bay for $148! Yongnuo's YN622c triggers (YN622n for Nikon) are amazing. I have four of them as well as the YN622c-TX controller. Brilliant gear. I made my own boom arm from a paint roller extension pole. 5in1 reflectors are as cheap as chips also off the Bay. Good old eBay :)
Batteries to run all this? I got put onto a brand called eneloop. They are nothing but perfect. Little pricey but well worth it.
If you want to make an impression get that flash OFF Camera. This is where an assistant is invaluable.
Cheers.
:thumb:

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » August 29th, 2015, 8:04 am

coops62
Avid Poster

Unread post by coops62 » August 29th, 2015, 5:15 pm

this came highly recommended to me

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/381260879733 ... EBIDX%3AIT

and here's what Viking is touting also
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/190871701605
96 STD HZJ80, 1HDF-T , Gturbo, W2A Intercooler, locked & lifted

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » August 29th, 2015, 7:24 pm

Not touting coops just highly recommending through experience of owning. ;)

The 600 is of course based off Canons 600EX-RT. I think the problem has been rectified but there were issues with Yongnuo's attempt at the 'Quick Release Foot'. Yongnuo's didn't seat well in the shoe according to a lot of reviews.

Now I'm going off memory here and I stand to be corrected, but the YN-E3-RT controller only works on RT flashes. Like I said I could be wrong. Overall though still good gear and worth looking into kiran.

There are of course other brands of trigger systems cheaper than Yongnuo stuff. At the end of the day a trigger system of some sort is something I highly recommended. Even if you don't go ahead with this Wedding kiran it's good gear to have as part of your kit.

Cheers. :D

Return to “Photography”