Part of the furniture

Re: General chit-chat, banter and tips for growth

Unread post by the-viking » May 23rd, 2015, 9:00 am

Cool!! :)

kiran92
Been here a while

Unread post by kiran92 » May 25th, 2015, 1:52 pm

Something like 600 photos, of which 50% have potential for use with minor editing

And this is my long week at work :( I forsee a lot of late nights

I took the opportunity to play when the cat got stuck up the tree though
_DSC0334.JPG
and this
_DSC0579.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I work for my weekends... and damn it, I WILL enjoy them

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » May 26th, 2015, 5:15 am

Mate, be ruthless with the culling process of your images. I tend to go through and do the obvious cull. Then I'll walk away and do something else, come back and look at the remainder with fresh eyes and cull off some more. Once what's left is processed I'll cull again.
So was that 600 images on the friends B&B?
How do you think you went? :)

kiran92
Been here a while

Unread post by kiran92 » May 26th, 2015, 10:54 am

That's what I've done yep.
3 rounds of culling so far.
I need to be pretty quick with the first batch as she has the web design girl on standby.
Brochures A4 booklet and A4 concertina as well as a single 1/4 A4 two sided thing (think info centre style) as well as business cards to follow.

I keep practically every image bar the blurry, or washed out/un-usably under-exposed if for nothing more than my learning process, I try to examine the EXIF data and get an idea of what doesn't work settings wise.

probably 400 individual images
the rest are duplicated (RAW+JPEG).

We had a quick review on her laptop before I left, so she could check I had everything and I could re-shoot something if she wanted.
Pretty wrapped overall, she wants me back to do spring/summer images as well and also when they finish the renovations and conference centre.

It's more about selling the B&B than taking a technically excellent image so that was my primary focus over good technique (if that makes sense).

I have now managed to acquire (or will this weekend) a nice hot shoe flash with diffused and adjustable head and a new tripod is on it's way, that quick release is too good not to have.

Biggest thing I found?
If you have the capacity and time, make sure all the lights are working, and of the same hue! there were several rooms with both yellow and white flouro's in them which made white balance a nightmare to manage.

Having my model/assistant/friend along was invaluable as she knows how I like to do my shots and can change lenses, knows the difference between a polarized and neutral density filter and can generally fetch and carry :)

also: a 40W work lamp is fine for dealing with the car, but a handheld hunting lamp with a diffuser would have been better.

That about wraps it up.

this was a bit of fun I had later that evening, it's a shot EVERYONE in perth has probably done..
_DSC0619.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » May 26th, 2015, 11:59 am

Sounds like a success to me. Good stuff! :)

What flash are you getting?

kiran92
Been here a while

Unread post by kiran92 » June 1st, 2015, 11:11 am

It's a Nikon SB800 speedlight.

Fully adjustable head, integrates with the camera etc.

Also now have a nice Manfrotto tripod with 3 way head, the thing I was using before wasn't really strong enough to take the camera.

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » June 1st, 2015, 11:22 am

Good stuff!! :thumb:

Kellys_
Getting to know the place

Unread post by Kellys_ » August 13th, 2015, 9:58 pm

I'm looking at buying a slr camera willing to spend upto $1000 what should i get?

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » August 13th, 2015, 11:23 pm

Short answer: One you like the look and feel of. Don't worry about the brands.
Long answer: Yep, there is one but just go with the short one....... :D

Cheers.

kiran92
Been here a while

Unread post by kiran92 » August 14th, 2015, 11:18 am

So, it's been while, but the website I did the photo's for has finally gone live, not all of mine are there, some they re-used, some they did themselves, for those interested:
http://possumcreeklodge.com/gallery/
and have a look through the individual accommodation pages, they also feature some of my work.

Kellys_ wrote:I'm looking at buying a slr camera willing to spend upto $1000 what should i get?
What Viking said +1,
buying an SLR though, $1k can buy you a nice body but no lens, or a more entry level body and a lens (or two depending what you get).
Bear in mind you also need to buy; memory cards (SD/CF), and other accessories depending what you want to do with it
for example: (if you're wanting to do long exposures (waterfalls, star trails) then a good tripod is essential, unless you have sniper level stillness

my 2c :)

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » August 14th, 2015, 5:41 pm

kiran
Just took a ganda at the photos. Looks like a nice place. All the images look pretty good. Well done. :thumb:

Hamo1
Been here a while

Unread post by Hamo1 » August 16th, 2015, 2:38 pm

For entry DLSR it doesn't matter to much with brands unless you want to spend on full frame.
Depending on who you ask nikon still has the better sensor out of nikon and canon and nikon uses a sony sensor so IMO i would look at nikon or sony. Nikon may give you more selection with lenses compared to sony though.

With nikon you can get a D3300 with 2 kit lenses and still have a bit for a tripod etc.
Nikon D5500 might just scrape under 1k with 2 kit lenses but nothing else left for tripods etc. (there is a a D5200 between the two)
D7100 you will go over and not have anything for tripod but thats the last of the crop sensors (appart from 7200 which is about 1200 for just the body or something)

Don't know to much about sony i didn't have a good look when i bought my d750 which i kind of regret now but they are mirrorless which probably doesn't matter with a first DSLR.

I would go prob a D3300 but screw off the kit lens and get yourself a decent one (kit lens is fine but better lens = better photo, better off with a better lens ***** body than the other way around)
Tripod......yea depending what you want, if you want a cheapo bout 100 bucks if you wanna look cool 500+

If you wanna do everything i would look at the 18-300mm for the nikon, i had that on my d3200 and it worked a treat, still have it now and use it sometimes on my D750 for closeup work.

ALSO:
Like the others say what ever feels right, you may pick up a canon and go wow this is good so buy that but i dunno much about them because im a nikon guy so i can't help you there.

Possibly look at a fuji or a pentax, personaly wouldn't bother with the other brands but again if you like it go for it. Entry level cameras are very similar these days with capabilities unless you want to get really technical.

Erm.....When i started i basicly wanted to shoot everything so try keep that in mind, you may go blow your budget on like a 18-35mm or something then be screwed cause you can't take bird photos and so on. For entry level i think something like the 18-300mm would be better suited unless you know you're serious and want to get into it later on.

Im sure some nice chap will fill you in on cannon after this post too just so they dont feel like cannon got left out :lol:

Also worth looking to buy as a kit, camera house do kits like this one
http://www.camerahouse.com.au/products/ ... ripod.aspx

Not saying buy that one its an example -

Also (this is going on forever)
If you don't get a kit lens you can look at tamron and sigma to makes things more complicated.

kiran92
Been here a while

Unread post by kiran92 » August 17th, 2015, 12:16 pm

Thanks Hamo, there's probably a dozen of mine up there, I'm working on getting a bit more exposure doing free work for various people, they get pictures, I get my name out there.

As for the D3300,
I have one and I love it, still find myself reaching for a second scroll wheel like the pro-series have though.
I bought just the body for about $450, you could get a tamron AF 18-200mm lens for about the same.
that would fill most of you $1k
18-200 is what I use as my primary and while it doesn't do well for macro, or for full zoom (aperture issues) it does almost everything else well enough, if you stick within a few F-stops of its extremes

Hamo1
Been here a while

Unread post by Hamo1 » August 17th, 2015, 1:13 pm

Yea trying to get exposure localy too. Won a little local photo comp but there was like 10 prizes, my entries where in a bit late and it was based on facebook likes so i lost the battle. Still 50 bucks towards my first car is a bonus (one photo got a few likes)!

But yea started using instagram and that to get a bit more exposure too. Viewbug is good as well got top 20 with a comp in that recently which was nice as well. Lots of photographers use 500px as well which i dont use much and flicker.
Sort of got to find a balance between them all and cross promote each page through the other.

If you're on facebook there is a group called aussie photography which is helpful and focus

https://www.facebook.com/groups/aussiephoto/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/FocusPh ... Australia/

Focus is more of a group thing, people go out and get together on weekends and take photos like a group and get tips etc etc if you're into that sort of thing. Haven't done one yet but usualy post my photos on both for critque and what not, some nice photographers in the groups and generaly helpful with 90% of things.

-----------------------------------
if you're going to do mostly landscapes and that kelly i would get a polorizer as well. Maybe a uv filter to protect the lens but unless you're caring it through the scrub like i do i honestly wouldn't bother but i think they're pretty cheap so.....up to you. Would probably go with Hoya as a brand. good but still on the cheaper side. If you wanna be cool then Lee filters (but they will blow your budget very easily, well worth it though)
I think cannon and nikon are still doing a cash back thing at the momment as well so keep that in mind when bargaining.

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » August 18th, 2015, 5:57 am

Kellys_ wrote:I'm looking at buying a slr camera willing to spend upto $1000 what should i get?
This is just a thought. Are you willing to wait a bit longer and save so you can go the next level and instead of getting a 'Kit Lens' deal get one good 'Pro-Sumer' lens with the body of choice. There's basically three grades of lens or levels of lens. 'Kit', 'Pro-Sumer' and Professional. Some of the main differences between 'Kit' and 'Pro-Sumer' are build quality, metal mount as apposed to plastic, better optics, better focusing motors, some form of image stabilisation and in some instances more light, as in in aperture size. Don't get me wrong the 'Kits' will get you started by all means, this isnt a 'Kit Lens' bash but when your checking out gear, ask to hold a kit lens in one hand and its equivalent in a Pro-Sumer in the other and you'll see what I mean. Don't even think about Professional. Your paying for optics and light with those suckers big time. This of course will tip you over the $1000 but I thought I'd just plant the seed for you to think about and look into. Look at something around the 15-85mm range or there a bouts. It's a good alrounder. Possibly going a bit to far ahead but just so your aware look up 'Crop Factor' so your aware of what this is all about. There have been so many people come up to me at work saying. "I just bought this super wide angle zoom lens". When the fact is they haven't. It annoys me when sales people don't explain this to the customer. So, to explain, with the 'Crop Factor taken into account, the 15-85mm I mentioned is in reality a 24-136mm. This will cover everything from Landscapes, Portraits, medium Macro and if your clever some Wildlife.
Just an option to think about. Cheers.

Return to “Photography”