General chit-chat, banter and tips for growth

Show us your photographic skills and work in here
the-viking
Part of the furniture

Re: General chit-chat, banter and tips for growth

Unread post by the-viking » May 19th, 2015, 11:33 am

Cool. :) If your going to try it tonight, then heres some extra tips.

1. You really need some form of ambient light for best results. Just enough to expose that movement before the flash fires. This can be the very last of the twilight, or even a good moon light. Short of those, introduce some soft artificial light, like an iPhone light for example. The more the light the less the exposure time required before flash.

2. The longer the exposure, the more the movement, the shorter the exposure, the less the movement.

3. Settings suggestions:
Manual Mode; Start off at 1" @ widest aperture. iso 400. Flash Poped and set on to 'Second Curtain Sync' (Flash control menu)
If you stay in the one spot, use a torch to pre-focus then turn AF off. (I use rear button focus to avoid the camera wanting to re-focus every time you press the shutter). Also stay at a wide focal length to keep your aperture open as wide as you can. Massive Depth of Field is not required usually for this style. So instead of using the zoom to compose which will decrease your aperture the tighter you zoom; you move instead to compose so as to retain the wide aperture.

4. Use a tripod but have a go with hand held by all means. I don't think you need to use the 2" time delay when using the tripod for this style of photography. Your after movement anyway and the flash will freeze the last bit of the exposure.

5. Check the results for 1" exposure then adjust the shutter speed from there for the effect your after. Adjust iso higher if you have to, but try and keep it down.

Cheers.

kiran92
Been here a while

Unread post by kiran92 » May 20th, 2015, 7:57 am

Sadly all I can control on the built-in flash is the intensity :(
EDIT:
Tell a lie, I just found it !
I work for my weekends... and damn it, I WILL enjoy them

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » May 20th, 2015, 8:58 am

Some other examples on SCS.

As you can see its not restricted to dim light conditions. It's used in a variety of photographic genre's and lighting.

Remember, flash freezes motion. No if's or but's.

For the bike rider, a simple slow shutter speed of say 1/4" or maybe slower will blur the pack in the background but when the flash fires it will snap freeze the subject thats closest to the flash. You can see though he too has some movement in him.

The runner is different. This would have been trial and error to take this, mainly for the timing to get her in the right spot for when the flash fired (they may have been lucky and got it on the first take though.) Because she is moving so fast during the long exposure to capture the ambient light of the background, her image doesn't register or get exposed onto the sensor of the camera, but as said, when the flash fires… SNAP! The photographer obviously didn't want that movement trail for this shot. If he did, all he'd have to have done would be to slightly light the girl so shed be captured as a blur during the longer part of the exposure. Btw as going by the shadows, this is 'Off Camera Flash', so no pop-up in this case.

The BMX riders looks like an example of hand held SCS.

Looking forward to your results. Remember it may take some time to nail the shot. :)

Cheers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » May 20th, 2015, 9:10 am

I meant to point out. You can do this on FCS (first curtain sync) which is how your flash generally fires by default. However you get the reverse effect as shown by one of my all time favourite cartoon actors…. :D lol
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kiran92
Been here a while

Unread post by kiran92 » May 20th, 2015, 12:16 pm

Cheers Viking,

I must say this forum has been invaluable for me :)
I was practicing by rolling a steel ball mill ball along my desk.. which is a challenge to do and shoot !

On an unrelated note; I've got a 'professional' engagement this weekend, doing some photos for a colleague's wife's BnB thing.
It's on a trial basis really, if she likes the pics, she can have them, if not, no harm and I've had a good learning opportunity.

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » May 20th, 2015, 2:24 pm

Good stuff. :thumb:

Doing client or assigned photography forces you to think a bit more than if it was for yourself.

What is it she actually wants you to take photos of if you don't mind me asking?

coops62
Avid Poster

Unread post by coops62 » May 20th, 2015, 2:53 pm

Great stuff Kiran.

You'll notice the step up when you're engaged in an official capacity. It's harder than you might imagine but fulfilling once it's all over too. I know you'll do well but good luck anyway
96 STD HZJ80, 1HDF-T , Gturbo, W2A Intercooler, locked & lifted

kiran92
Been here a while

Unread post by kiran92 » May 21st, 2015, 2:49 pm

She has just taken over the business and wants to refresh the website.

I've looked at what's there already and it's just general images.

I'm planning to head out there and do a session 9am Saturday, and talk with the client and see what she wants, I don't think she quite knows what she wants.

So this is my cheeky non-entry for the 'My Ride' Competition, some blonde kept getting in the way of the Lambo
(not actually my ride)
image.jpg

kiran92
Been here a while

Unread post by kiran92 » May 21st, 2015, 3:22 pm

Thanks Coops !

As far I'm concerned, if she likes the images enough to use them, then I'm happy just to get the credit for the work at this point, $ for fuel at Most.

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » May 21st, 2015, 4:08 pm

Ha ha ha ha. Very good........... :D What year model? ;)

Anyway.... Lol. I'm guessing there will be a few shots required of rooms or interiors. No chance of you borrowing a dedicated hotshoe flash is there? You'll really want to be carful with the pop-up flash. Of course when you can use natural light and a tripod if the shutter speeds drop beyond hand hold. I've wacked a link on that gives some techniques on ways to soften and or bounce the pop-up flash. I used a white polystyrene cup lined along the inside rear of the cup with some aluminium foil to help direct the light forwards. This was before I got my first dedicated speedlight. Worked pretty good but nowhere near as good as a dedicated flash.

For the exterior avoid direct sunlight, as in the middle of the day, overcast is good, better still shoot at twilight so there's a good ambient balance with the establishments artificial lights. The 'Golden Hours' (an hour before or after sun rise/set) are a good time. Enjoy, have fun.

Cheers.
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=defu ... CAYQ_AUoAQ

kiran92
Been here a while

Unread post by kiran92 » May 21st, 2015, 4:20 pm

I'll see if I can get a hotshoe flash.

Given the likelihood of it being overcast and that I cant get there till 9am, I'm hoping to be able to arrange a second shoot under better conditions.
Tripod, torches, a plug in worklight and a windscreen sunvisor should give me some flexibility.

As to the model,

Aventador LP700-4 Not sure of the exact MY.
The other is a 1993 Country-Blonde, handling characteristics look good, haven't yet taken it for a full test drive :(

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » May 21st, 2015, 5:28 pm

The other is a 1993 Country-Blonde, handling characteristics look good, haven't yet taken it for a full test drive
^^^^^^^^^^
Bahahahahahha!!!! :lol:

Sounds like your thinking the shoot out. Hope it goes well.... :thumb:

coops62
Avid Poster

Unread post by coops62 » May 22nd, 2015, 8:24 am

Beware the maintenance costs ..................
96 STD HZJ80, 1HDF-T , Gturbo, W2A Intercooler, locked & lifted

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » May 22nd, 2015, 8:44 am

haven't yet taken it for a full test drive :(
^^^^^^^^

Checking the oil is usually quite rewarding……. ;) :D
Any way, enough of this tongue in cheek (or where ever) stuff; hows the preps going for the shoot? Feeling confident? You should be. Did you chase down a Flash?

kiran92
Been here a while

Unread post by kiran92 » May 23rd, 2015, 8:56 am

Cheers for the encouragement !!

No I haven't found a flash but Im going to use a combination of LED torches and 240w halogen light to brighten up and warm the place, make use of the adjustable white balance too

With the clients permission I'll post a few up later

Return to “Photography”