General chit-chat, banter and tips for growth

Show us your photographic skills and work in here
coops62
Avid Poster

General chit-chat, banter and tips for growth

Unread post by coops62 » February 23rd, 2015, 9:51 am

Just thought I'd start a thread for some general chit-chat and banter rather than clog up the more serious threads and comps.
Last edited by coops62 on April 20th, 2015, 9:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
96 STD HZJ80, 1HDF-T , Gturbo, W2A Intercooler, locked & lifted

coops62
Avid Poster

Re: General chit-chat, banter and abuse

Unread post by coops62 » February 23rd, 2015, 9:55 am

so Kiran, anytime you want to venture up to Mundaring at night with the fourbies and cameras then sing out mate, I'm up for it.
Haven't been for a while, even longer at night, but it's fun. Challenging with a camera but a great opportunity to learn as well
Last time I took my 50mm f1.4 and was at ISO 800. That was as good as I could manage as had the 7D back then and it was effectively useless on high ISO. It's a hard gig too if you're wheeling, I'm going to take a driver next time and focus on the shots

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » February 23rd, 2015, 10:42 am

coops62 wrote:Just thought I'd start a thread for some general chit-chat and banter rather than clog up the more serious threads and comps.
Good idea. :)

coops62
Avid Poster

Re: General chit-chat, banter and tongue in cheek abuse

Unread post by coops62 » February 25th, 2015, 11:36 am

I'm interested in what your PC set ups are and their purpose. Mine is for Photos and music only

Have just upgraded due to a malfunction. Was going to get a Mac Pro 4K but my IT guy said he could upgrade Ram from 16 to 32Gb and add an SSD hard Drive to run the OS for five hundred bucks, which he did. I get that back on Saturday and he reckons it's super quick and should handle Photoshop quite easily (when I learn how to use it). He's also a photographer so knows what is required.

What have you got?

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » February 25th, 2015, 6:18 pm

I have a 2012 27" iMac with the Magic Mouse and a 2TB external HD for 'Time Machine' back ups. Still running Lion. It's our everything computer. Photography wise I run PSCS6 and LR4. I have all my photos in one folder and in respective folders within that. Every folder is backed up again to an External 1TB HD that is stored in the garage. I'll be upgrading my memory soon but it all runs like a dream as it is. Very happy with it. Its also out of bounds re the kids. Not such an issue now as they are older and have their own. Cheers. :)

danannette
Avid Poster

Unread post by danannette » February 26th, 2015, 8:05 am

Yep, very similar to the-viking's setup. 27" iMac about the same vintage as the-vikings. I've upgraded the operating system to the latest, upgraded the RAM to 16gig and had to get a new screen put in about 18 month after purchase. Apple originally didn't want to come to the party on that one and wanted to charge me $800 for a new one, regardless to say I fought that and ended getting it done for nix. It did leave a bit of a sour taste though. Ive got two 1 terabyte external drives, one is purely for backups via time machine and the other is plugged into the router as a network drive.

I've also got a macbook pro which is only 2 years old, running exactly the same as the iMac, though I haven't upgraded the RAM yet, I can only run a max of 8gig and is currently running 4.

Both run lightroom 5 and the latest photoshop, though I rarely use photoshop (Its scares me a bit), as light room does most things I need.

In the future i'm looking to upgrade the hard dive in the iMac as the 1 terabyte internal is almost full, there is 350 gig of movies and 300 gig of photos on it being over 40,000 jpg's and god knows how many RAW's. The mac is a "do it all" machine with all my photos, movies and music and the kids are also all over it too. The the kids do have iPads now so don't tend to us it as much as they once did though.

I love the simplicity of the mac and the fact that you don't really have to worry about viruses and such. Id happily upgrade to a new mac in the future.

Cheers,

kiran92
Been here a while

Unread post by kiran92 » February 26th, 2015, 8:32 am

coops62 wrote:so Kiran, anytime you want to venture up to Mundaring at night with the fourbies and cameras then sing out mate, I'm up for it.
Haven't been for a while, even longer at night, but it's fun. Challenging with a camera but a great opportunity to learn as well
Last time I took my 50mm f1.4 and was at ISO 800. That was as good as I could manage as had the 7D back then and it was effectively useless on high ISO. It's a hard gig too if you're wheeling, I'm going to take a driver next time and focus on the shots
I'll drop you a line mate,
I'm considering going up Friday night as it's my short work week, I'll send you a PM with details if I do.
Got a Fawcett track run planned with some mates for next month which I'm planning to do a week before and scout some good shooting locations.

As far as hardware goes;
I'm currently working off my work laptop which is the largest piece of *insert expletive of choice* ever.
I have a surface Pro 2, which, when I sort the charging cable out I'm going to install Lightroom 5 on.
(you can get a non-cloud version for a one off price)

Anyone recommend a good wireless remote for a Nikon? or is the Nikon one the best?
I work for my weekends... and damn it, I WILL enjoy them

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » February 26th, 2015, 10:34 am

I was told; "When you go Mac, you won't go back." So true. I was nervous making the transition but once you get through the few domestics you'll have with it, it all worth it. Simple things like turning them on and off, putting them to sleep, and the end of ant-virus programs. That in itself is a breath of fresh air. Its never frozen on me, Ive never had to shut it down and do a restart. Simply love em.

Question Dan. Are you happy with the latest operating system. And what is it btw? Cheers….. :)

coops62
Avid Poster

Unread post by coops62 » February 26th, 2015, 11:17 am

so instead of setting up 4 x 1Tb NAS system should I go to Mac Pro as originally intended?
Won't I need to set up NAS system anyhow?
Can that be done with current setup and then accommodate Mac in future (probably a question for my IT guy I know)

coops62
Avid Poster

Unread post by coops62 » February 26th, 2015, 11:32 am

kiran92 wrote: I'll drop you a line mate,
I'm considering going up Friday night as it's my short work week, I'll send you a PM with details if I do.
Got a Fawcett track run planned with some mates for next month which I'm planning to do a week before and scout some good shooting locations.
I'm working as a second TOG on Friday night, might be able to slip out afterwards but cards will probably be full, what time are you going? Reckon I'll be too late for ya anyways

kiran92
Been here a while

Unread post by kiran92 » February 26th, 2015, 11:57 am

coops62 wrote:so instead of setting up 4 x 1Tb NAS system should I go to Mac Pro as originally intended?
Won't I need to set up NAS system anyhow?
Can that be done with current setup and then accommodate Mac in future (probably a question for my IT guy I know)
A NAS would be in addition to a time machine system.
The beauty of the NAS is it creates a privatized cloud so; so long as you have internet you no longer need thumb drives or to carry HDD's and risk them...
Depending on the system's software and integration you just login in via whatever machine you want...apple, windows, Linux (does anyone actually use that?)

RE Friday: TOG?
... the ob and gyno?
or a measure of thermal insualnce of surface area?
Seriously; time wise; fluid, I'm pretty much going to make a spontaneous decision, I do that a lot.
totally unrelated note; your 'world according to...' thread, those morning river shots, where is that, if you're willing to share?

coops62
Avid Poster

Unread post by coops62 » February 26th, 2015, 1:32 pm

Cool, so if I set up NAS soon I will be able to use it even if I convert to Mac - very happy with that outcome I can tell you...
TOG = abbreviated term for photographer

Website and Facebook page coming after I get my PC back (Saturday) but once I'm back on line I'll update this site with a few more shots. Did some cool Milky Way shots at Pinnacles in January as well as some reasonable shots on the river
Friday night might be too hard for me, the gig is very important and an opportunity that I don't want to stuff up as I'd love to have the opportunity to do it again. Hopefully I can share some of that stuff (if it's any good) next week too

kiran92
Been here a while

Unread post by kiran92 » February 26th, 2015, 4:38 pm

the NAS operates independently of your computer.
check out CNET they're usually a fairly good gauge of what's good

Ah, makes sense.

danannette
Avid Poster

Unread post by danannette » February 26th, 2015, 6:00 pm

the-viking wrote: Question Dan. Are you happy with the latest operating system. And what is it btw? Cheers….. :)
Yep, happy with it. They're both running OS X Yosemite. It does seem a bit more sluggish (not by much) but there seems to be more happening in the background. I'm not sure but it's happened to me in the last few versions and this one too that the computer doesn't like to free up the RAM so out of the 16gig sometimes I've only 1-3 available even though nothing is open but I've found a free program that lets you monitor and free up the unused RAM instead of restarting the computer (called FreeMemory).

The things I like are airplay so I can use my tv as my desktop or extended desktop through the apple tv box. Also it integrates with my iPhone so i can make and receive calls from the computer and also see and send text messages (to anyone, doesn't have to be apple)

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » February 26th, 2015, 7:53 pm

Cool. thanks mate. :)

Return to “Photography”