Viking's Pix.

Show us your photographic skills and work in here
the-viking
Part of the furniture

Re: Viking's Pix.

Unread post by the-viking » March 19th, 2016, 2:10 pm

I recently got asked to do a Boudoir Shoot for a friend …… :D
I'm still going through them but thought I'd chuck these ones up. Most of them have face shots so she asked me not to put them up. Cheers.

kiran92
Been here a while

Unread post by kiran92 » April 6th, 2016, 4:30 pm

1: Lovely work, I see how those light brollies would be invaluable
2: ... I need friends like this :P
I work for my weekends... and damn it, I WILL enjoy them

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » April 6th, 2016, 7:58 pm

Lol.... Thanks mate. She is a really good sport. To be honest I wouldn't have cared if she was wrapped in a dressing gown. It was all about the lighting for me.. ;)

kiran92
Been here a while

Unread post by kiran92 » April 11th, 2016, 12:24 pm

I have a friend who wants something similar done, she recently did some similar work as a model for artists and wants to try photography (less tiring apparently).
Mind if I pick your brain for some tips later?
I work for my weekends... and damn it, I WILL enjoy them

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » April 11th, 2016, 2:16 pm

Sure... Not a prob.. :)

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » April 14th, 2016, 5:23 am

Hey mate.
Little board at work so I thought I'd give you a quick run down as to the gear I used for the boudoir shoot along with some other tips.
Canon 60D 1.6 Crop censor.
15-85mm (24-135mm) f3.5 to f5.6
I was Tethered to my laptop with a 10m lead. First time I'd done this actually and I found it was good for both the model and myself, but of course it's not imperative.
Lighting was all of the following used in different combinations.
Natural Window Light.
80cm Octobox.
2x White shoot through umbrellas.
1x 5in1 circular reflector panel.
3x Speedlights. 2 Canon and 1 Youngnuo.
Youngnuo Trigger System to control them.
I used E-TTL all the time I think. Don't think I went manual on the flashes at any stage as I was moving around.
I used my iPad for us to search google images 'Boudouir' poses. Highly recommend doing this. I got her to go over poseing ideas a few weeks before hand as well. So that was helpful.
Allow yourselves heaps of time so you can just go at a nice relaxed pace. Pros can work with tight schedules, us amateurs need the time.
Try and meet the girl ahead of time if you don't already know her, just to start breaking that ice.
Get onto YouTube and watch some tutorials. There's millions of em!
When your doing your image searches on the iPad, be specific. By that, what I did was type, 'Boudoir Bed Poses'. 'Boudoir Window Poses'. Boudoir Floor Poses'. etc and so on. The pros will know exactly what they're doing so while the model is in a particular outfit and say on the bed he/she will take advantage of that outfit and spot to maximise shots and reduce wardrobe change. One photographer I watched a tutorial on calls his technique 'The Rotating Chicken'. For example, if the model is on the bed, he'll get her to lay on her belly, take some shots, then onto her side, take some shots, onto her back, shots and finally onto the other side. Hence the rotating affiliation. Then from there, up onto her knees and so on. You get the drift. Let her 'Chimp' (look at the back of your camera) the images as you go along and give positive sounds, comments, and facial expressions. She won't want to hear things like. "Bloody hell.... That's crap". Being mumbled. If it is, shhhhhh. No tutting either. Just keep snapping. What she'll want to hear is. "YES!!" "That's is" "Perfect!" etc. lol
If you have a good sence of humour, use it. If you have a very open sence of humour keep it under control. Lol The models personality should set you up as to how much and what type of humour you can get away with. Anyway. Suppose I better earn some money and actually do some work... Lol
Cheers.

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » April 24th, 2016, 9:03 am

For those interested. :)

This is more a composite image at the end of the day. The original idea was more 'Focus Stacking' orientated. However, I had to change the focal length from 24mm on the winch to 55mm on me. This is not the idea for 'Stacking'. Hence I just did a simple 'Composite' instead.

I had to use a bag of rags as a platform for the camera under the car. The articulating LCD screen on my Canon 60D proved invaluable. I don't know why the big gun camera's don't employ them, they are friggin handy. Anyway, so I had the screen facing out so I could compose and see the images as I took them. Manual mode,auto focus then locked off,and in RAW using the 10 sec timer.

For the Winch: I hand held a speedlight with a radio trigger directly under the Winch on 1/128th power. First couple of shots and I was happy. Thats the Winch side of it done. That was easy.....

For me: The idea was to have me in the frame as much as practicable pulling the Winch rope. After some trial and error I found the composition. The length of the rope fixed at the length of the composition. Next was to get the focus. For this I placed a light stand where I was going to be standing and draped a beach towel over it to give me something to focus on. Done!

All along I knew Id want to be lowering the ambient light to try and get me popping out in the picture a bit. To do this you've got to under expose the shot to lower the ambient light then use speedlights to light up the subject, me. The ambient exposure I was happy with ended up being at 1/800th shutter speed. This photo icidently was taken around 1pm. This of course exceeded the cameras flash syntonisation of 1/250th. Fortunately HSS (high speed sync) to the rescue. I used two Speedlight on light stands at both front corners of the car. Both firing at 1/1 manual power on HSS.

Props: The fact I had to constantly crawl in and out from under the car dirtied up the cloths to give that look. Tree Trunk protector over the shoulder and Winch cloves on to finish off.
All that was left was to fire away until I was happy. About a dozen or so shots. Not many really.

Adjustments in LR4 then over to PSCS6 to blend them.

Cheers. :D

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » April 16th, 2017, 8:49 am

A quiet Sunday easter morning with my cuppa and I thought I'd wack up a few NZ pics. Not many as this was not a 'Photo Holiday' so 99% are just snaps. I was privileged to have borrowed my mates Canon 70-200 f2.8 for the Falcon. This was at a Rescue Sanctuary for NZ birds of Pray. The Waterfall was about the most tech I got with photography while over there.
A lot of work when we got back with three camera memory cards, my mate shots he took of us files.....and files that some of the company like the Canyon Jump that provide files on a thumb drive, all to sort out and rename so they flow in order. Anyway I came up with a system that worked well.

Cheers.

Hot water spring.

One of a trillion Waterfalls.

Milford Sound.

Chopper to the top of a Glacier.

Dolphin in Milford Sound

Glow Worm Caving.

Canyon Bungie Swing.

Falcon at Rescue Sanctuary.

fastwrx

Unread post by fastwrx » April 24th, 2017, 4:17 pm

love the bokeh in the falcon pic

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » April 24th, 2017, 5:43 pm

thanks mate.
I think somewhere I said it was a f2.8L 70-200 when in fact it was a f4L 300 prime.
My mate was using the 2.8 with a X1.4 converter. There was another bloke there with a 400mmL lens. Quite an expensive gathering of Glass!! Its funny to think that a lens out prices a Camera. :)

Les - PK Ranger
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Les - PK Ranger » April 28th, 2017, 8:19 am

Nice pics mate.
We were in NZ bushwalking for pretty much the month of Feb, stunning.
All around Milford area, in country 24 days, in the bush 19 days of those :)
Did some epic walking tracks, including some that were the hardest I've ever taken on (esp the 11 days Big Bay / Pyke River - Hollyford circuit).
Took nearly 1000 snaps, maybe 100 really good ones :)

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » April 28th, 2017, 9:39 am

thanks mate.
Like stated all pretty much just snaps.

We'd love to do a drive around the South Island and do some camping and hiking. Sounds like a great time. Milford Sound was everything it was made out to be. We did strike very good weather though which probably enhanced the experience. We'll definitely be going back.
Something I learnt which I did not know about NZ. Their only native mammals are three species of micro Bats and Whales, Dolphins and Seals. Never knew that.

:D

Return to “Photography”