Viking's Pix.

Show us your photographic skills and work in here
the-viking
Part of the furniture

Viking's Pix.

Unread post by the-viking » August 6th, 2014, 8:30 am

Hi all.

I created a new topic as I wasn't sure where to post this. For those that are interested.

This was a really rushed job at macro/focus stacking. Looking forward to taking my time at it. The spider wasn't being cooperative… lol. Not quite the pose I was after.

I set up a small studio in the garage. Camera on tripod with cable release @ 1/250th, RAW, flash to the left on light stand in manual mode @ 1/16 power, with mini softbox and a 300w halogen light to the right.

15-85mm with reverse mount. 10 images in total. Also have a focus rail in the mail which will help immensely.

Focus Stacked in photoshop. I put up the original non-stacked file to show how much of a difference it makes…! :)

Cheers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

coops62
Avid Poster

Re: Viking's Pix.

Unread post by coops62 » August 6th, 2014, 3:25 pm

nice work.

I'm convinced these high level macro shots by the superstars all have dead subjects. I can't see how you could get focus otherwise
96 STD HZJ80, 1HDF-T , Gturbo, W2A Intercooler, locked & lifted

Hamo1
Been here a while

Unread post by Hamo1 » August 6th, 2014, 4:12 pm

Nice photos viking.

If u dont mind me asking, how much was the macro? and is it worth it?
I wanted to get into a bit of insect photos and things but my lens doesn't zoom/focus in far enough.

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » August 6th, 2014, 7:30 pm

Hi Hamo.

I don't own a macro. I bought a 'Reverse Adapter' for $4 off eBay that allows me to reverse mount my 15-85mm zoom. Its a method known as 'Reverse Mount' macro. They say the best lens to use is an old standard prime like a 50mm 1.8 with the old aperture ring on them. These lenses provide a sharper image due to less lens elements in them.

Coops has just purchased a 100mm dedicated macro, so any questions re a dedicated macro lenses you might want to ask Coops.

The technique to get a fuller depth of field is called 'Focus Stacking'. You'll need software to do this. My image was 10 images.

Google: 'Reverse Mount' adapter and 'Focus Stacking'…… Cheers. :)

coops62
Avid Poster

Unread post by coops62 » August 6th, 2014, 7:41 pm

A set of Kenko extension tubes will cost you about $60 Hamo. Well worth the investment and you'll more than likely need them for insect stuff anyway. I'm new to this macro stuff and already can see it's going to take a bit of work. I will say I've seen some amazing insect shots taken with minimal and inexpensive gear

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » August 6th, 2014, 7:58 pm

Oh yeah! Well done Coops. Forgot to mention extension tubes. I'm watching a set on Ebay atm. Metal not plastic too. $9 free postage. China of course. My focus rail was only $12.

Hamo1
Been here a while

Unread post by Hamo1 » August 6th, 2014, 10:19 pm

oh ok, does the tubes sorta....make the photo a bit off or is it like a regular photo or something....seems an odd way of doing it thats all.

thanks for help-

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » August 7th, 2014, 4:54 am

No no. Doesn't affect the image, well not to anything to detrimental for likes of you and I anyway. Like I said, prime lenses are better than zooms as there are less lens elements. The tubes effectively allow you to focus closer than what the lens by itself would allow. The more tubes, the closer you can focus. That's why they come in different size stacks so you can choose how close you want the focus.

You'll notice some chromatic aberration on the spiders hairs that I've marked. This is likely to be reduced by using a prime lens.

By the way, you'll notice the difference between the cost of the tubes Coops mentioned to the cost of what I mentioned. The difference is likely to be Coops's set will still allow communication between the lens and camera, i.e. Auto focus and IS [image stabilising] and so on. The set I'm looking at won't. I'm 'Reverse' mounting my lens anyway, so there is no comms to start with.

I still have my old Canon FD 1.4 Standard which is ideal for reverse mounting and extension tubes. It's got a bit of internal mould though, which is a bummer. I may get an adapter for that if I think its usable.

Reverse mounting plus tubes is insane magnification! :eek:

In my film days I owned a set of Canon bellows, which I gave away….. Doh! :urgh:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

coops62
Avid Poster

Unread post by coops62 » August 7th, 2014, 9:14 am

I find that I am waiting at least 4 weeks for stuff from China these days, so not worth the waiting time.
I have a reverse mounting ring (somewhere). Will that work well on my 100mm macro lens then or too much?
The lens is a beautiful thing but still doesn't give you the magnification of course. IS is great and I love being able to switch to normal lens type situation even though it is at 100mm, at least you can get some sort of shot

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » August 7th, 2014, 2:22 pm

Without looking into it, I'd think reversing it might be an overkill. I'd suggest tubes would be the way to go.

Yes China is a wait but I guess I'm in no hurry. :)

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » August 9th, 2014, 5:06 pm

Just some interesting viewing.
Check out his home made mini soft box. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqRn3at ... hXHJhLa61Y

Just ordered some extension tubes, adaptor ring for my old 50mm FD 1.4 Prime, a flash/led light hand grip and some flash cold shoes. Always handy to have some of them. Flash bracket next week. Go eBay!! lol Total of $20… :thumb:

croozy
Need to get out more

Unread post by croozy » August 9th, 2014, 7:14 pm

I love macro phtography. It's my favourite form of shooting pics. I don't have the coin to splash out on a lense so I just bought macro filters. They do the job good enough for my level of shooting.
I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory.

HAVE A GANDA AT MY SHED
http://www.4wdaction.com.au/gallery/21984-crikey

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » August 9th, 2014, 9:30 pm

Just starting to play around in this genre. Love the fact it's so cheap to be able to at least have a go at it and get quite good results. :)

coops62
Avid Poster

Unread post by coops62 » August 9th, 2014, 11:11 pm

I love the fact that for the price of a set of extension tubes you've always got something to photograph.

Bored at home? Whack on a prime and some tubes and step outside into the garden or shed and fire away :-D

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » August 10th, 2014, 7:34 am

I was just cleaning my old FD 1.4 that I'll be using on the tubes in reverse, and realised how bloody solid and weighty it is compared to the little 18-85 kit!! Gets some good raps on the net that lens. Got me to thinking I might splash out on the good old eBay and get an FD - EF adaptor. I'm thinking any image issues from the mould could be solved with a quick trip into PS. Worth a go I reckon. :)

Return to “Photography”