Hamos world of stuff

Show us your photographic skills and work in here
Hamo1
Been here a while

Hamos world of stuff

Unread post by Hamo1 » December 22nd, 2013, 1:01 pm

Figured i would post some pics cause im extremley bored today and its really hot.
Last xmas i got my dslr so ive been taking pics for not quite a year, im self taught so any tips or advice is more than welcome. You will soon find out i like waterfalls too.

i dont have a 4wd at this point in time, saving up for one soon enough so all my pics are taken on bush walks from 1-8 hours long

I got a heap more pics but ill stagger them out so people old computers dont lag like hell, also resized them all for same reason.

danannette
Avid Poster

Re: Hamos world of stuff

Unread post by danannette » December 22nd, 2013, 3:32 pm

I like your black and whites. :)

The mutt shot might stand out a bit more if you used a bit of fill flash on him/her, that way you wouldn't have blown the highlights (on the black) and less shadows around the face.

Cheers,

Hamo1
Been here a while

Unread post by Hamo1 » December 22nd, 2013, 4:23 pm

Oh ok, didn't realise that. I have the inbuilt flash one and a really old one off dads slr (non digital, that somehow works)
Have to give it a go next time thank you!

Hamo1
Been here a while

Unread post by Hamo1 » December 22nd, 2013, 4:26 pm

Hamo1
Been here a while

Unread post by Hamo1 » December 22nd, 2013, 4:28 pm

Hamo1
Been here a while

Unread post by Hamo1 » December 27th, 2013, 4:29 pm

Hamo1
Been here a while

Unread post by Hamo1 » December 27th, 2013, 4:30 pm

Hamo1
Been here a while

Unread post by Hamo1 » December 27th, 2013, 4:32 pm

Aaron Schubert
Need to get out more

Unread post by Aaron Schubert » December 27th, 2013, 9:19 pm

Great pics mate

Aaron
Looking for somewhere to go 4WDing in WA? Check out WA 4WD Tracks

My 80 Series Landcruiser

Hamo1
Been here a while

Unread post by Hamo1 » December 29th, 2013, 4:02 pm

thanks

went to barren grounds again today on the push bikes to explore some of the other tracks and found a water fall and not much else.

no pot of gold ;[

Hamo1
Been here a while

Unread post by Hamo1 » April 3rd, 2014, 4:47 pm

just a few for an update, taking like 100 or so more but to much effort resizing and dicking around will it all but ill try post some more later.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » April 4th, 2014, 1:44 pm

Mate, for someone who's just into it your doing pretty dam fine. Besides doing a course or two and doing heaps of reading whether it be books, mags, the net and son, your doing the best thing you can already; getting out there and taking photos! Really learn the controls of your camera too as well as the menu.

Like danannette said about fill in flash for the pooch. Never be afraid to use flash in full bright sunlight.
Just my 20 cents worth re the pop-up flash on your camera. I call em 'Emergency Flashes'. In other words don't use them unless it's an emergency like you haven't got time to go and get your Speedlight and put it on. Yes they can do a reasonable job sometimes with the right conditions but I HIGHLY recommend you invest in a good compatible Speedlight for your camera. Make sure it's E-TTL and Manual capable, and has High Speed Sync (HSS). There is no comparison between the two styles of flashes. Thats why Pro cameras don't have them if you've ever wondered, they simply don't want them. I don't think I've use mine for a photo yet, only wireless triggering, and thats about the only good thing the Pop-up is good for. They are the main contributor to Red eye, and you want to avoid using red eye reduction on your camera to. Not good for portraits (catchlight in the eye) let alone the poor people being photographed. I'll add more if this triggers comments….. lol

Love your waterfalls. If your not familiar with the RAW format, look it up, and and start shooting your falls in it. You'll be blown away the difference it make in post.

Cheers for now…… :D

Hamo1
Been here a while

Unread post by Hamo1 » April 4th, 2014, 2:22 pm

I still haven't quite got my head around the whole raw image file thing. Apparently you can edit the photos more or something?
I don't have photoshop or any of that most of my editing is done in windows picture manager which is ok but i would assume its very limited compared to photoshop and lightroom etc in terms of using raw files and things, its very basic.
And learning yourself has its upsides and downsides, im a pretty shy sort of a guy so thats the main reason i haven't done a course or anything but i might go do one in the future. Brother works at a newsagency so some mags come home i read and ive got a few books i've read. All my waterfalls are done in manual mod so i can get the shutter speed as low as i can. Most of the others i still use landscape mode until i get the hang of all the lingo.

And yea the pop up flash doesn't work for me lol. I have a 18-300 lens so it leaves a rather large dark spot of shadow that is the lens even at 18mm it does that so yea i have a 18-105 i think it is i can't remember if it does that or not but my 18-300 is a lot better lens so i usualy take that, helps get pics of birds and things at a distance too which is nice.
Im looking at investing into a proper flash in the future maybe a body upgrade, macro lens and a decent single zoom lens.

Also if anyone knows about what filters i should use. At the momment i got a uv one that stays on the lens at all times (unless it gets dirty and fogs up on me which happens alot in some spots) and just a polarizer. I would like to get some of those dark ones that let you lower the shutter speed by like 2 or so but unsure if i should get slot filters like lee filters or go the screw in hoya ones i have now?

I'd like to know how people go about selling there pics and things or what ever you guys do aswell if anyone knows?
Thanks

Ill try wack up some more pics this arvo, thanks for reply viking

Hamo1
Been here a while

Unread post by Hamo1 » April 4th, 2014, 2:43 pm

I did have lightroom once and thats how i did the colour edits, i like doing that some people hate it lol.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hamo1
Been here a while

Unread post by Hamo1 » April 4th, 2014, 2:49 pm

some more

Return to “Photography”