Quadcopters and Gopros, anyone use one?

Show us your photographic skills and work in here
Harb
Need to get out more

Re: Quadcopters and Gopros, anyone use one?

Unread post by Harb » February 10th, 2014, 8:33 am

fastwrx wrote:Amateur = Ok, under 400ft, line of sight, not over populated areas, stay further than 30m away from people.

Commercial = requires P.P.L exam

No requirement to fly only at designated areas

http://www.casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_assets/m ... 101c03.pdf
Yep this is correct.......
and I think if its under 2 or 3 kilo (cant remember) total weight you dont need a licence at all.

The CASA rules on copters is so stupid it defies belief......... what is the sense in having to pass a fixed wing license, knowing all about baggage weight v's fuel loads have to do with these things at all.
Funny thing is I can fly my Helo's and am not subject to the same rules, yet they are probably more dangerous !!!
Even a small model RC plane could do more damage.
I have heard it said a lot of people regard these rules as a big brother attempt to put people off buying them, as they have huge potential to be used in terrorist acts.......

Ezookiel
Need to get out more

Unread post by Ezookiel » February 10th, 2014, 5:10 pm

or even just potential to be used in a dirty dodgy way - perving on neighbour sunbaking, looking in highrise apartment windows, flying over puplic swimming pools, nudist beaches, or even just paparazzi getting shots of celebrities etc (already been done for one celebrity wedding where the celebrity had a no-fly zone set up over the island, and the whole island locked down, but the papp flew one of these in from out on a boat without going onto the island, and stayed just outside the locked down zone of the island and took the shots from there).
The potential for misuse is huge. But That same potential exists for standard R/C helicopters, or even R/C Planes.

I do love the idea of using them at some 4WD locations to explore though. Flea Creek in the ACT/NSW border area, would save a heap of rock hopping and bush bashing on foot to fly up the river using one to sus the whole area out.

Harb
Need to get out more

Unread post by Harb » February 10th, 2014, 6:50 pm

They better ban binoculars and GoPro's as well then.........its stupid.....plain stupid

stackner
Here and there

Unread post by stackner » February 13th, 2014, 2:14 pm

dji phantom. got one myself. they are pre built, has gps inbuilt, compass, fail safe return to home, picked mine up for $550. http://www.dji.com/product/phantom/

Shaker4x4
Need to get out more

Unread post by Shaker4x4 » February 13th, 2014, 7:52 pm

Here is a video of them doing light duty span work, well in theory anyway. It's interesting to watch anyway.

mnpalmer
Been here a while

Unread post by mnpalmer » February 20th, 2014, 10:10 am

I've got a few R/C planes and a couple of helis. I've flown a few small quad copters and they are great fun, a lot easier to fly than the helicopters! Looking to make my own quad or tri copter soon.

This site has heaps of information for beginners:
www.flitetest.com

& this site has super cheap chinese parts for building your own quad/plane/heli

www.hobbyking.com

I'd recommend not buying one, but building one because you WILL crash so learning to fix them is half the fun. :)

JC807
Been here a while

Unread post by JC807 » February 20th, 2014, 11:55 am

previous:-> 06 BF XR6T, 74 KE20 4AGTE, 04 RZN149R, 01 AE112R, 01 KR42R, 84 E30 318i, 67 MINI DELUXE
current:-> 08 VOLVO V50 T5 AWD, MY13 ISUZU D-MAX 4X4

stackner
Here and there

Unread post by stackner » February 20th, 2014, 5:21 pm

mnpalmer wrote:
I'd recommend not buying one, but building one because you WILL crash so learning to fix them is half the fun. :)
Can not say i EVER crashed mine. using the exact same one 4wdaction is using (DJI PHANTOM) they are VERY easy to fly even if you have never flown one, already made along with a gopro mount and IF you crash them they are very strong and stand up to quite the punishment.

Ezookiel
Need to get out more

Unread post by Ezookiel » December 29th, 2014, 7:25 pm

Here's my video from Christmas afternoon at the local park at the local lake.
http://youtu.be/3PJ3rkN9OL4

I wasn't trying for the best footage, I was concentrating on the flight dynamics as this was my second ever flight, and the first was a 1 minute hover in the backyard.
If you've got sound turned on, then don't worry, the prop noise fades away to music after take off. I just like the sound of the motors spooling up, and the blades biting the air on first launch, so leave that in at the start.

Mine's a Carbon Fibre DJI Phantom 2, with H3 3D Gimbal, GoPro Hero 4 Black camera, FPV system feeding to a Black Pearl 7" monitor, all with 3 batteries, 2 chargers, a pile of extra bits and pieces, and came packed in a Go Professional Case for safe transit off-road in the back of a 4wd.

I've been flying small ones for years. This bigger one was my divorce gift to myself when I had to buy my wife out of our house.

And my work may pay for me to do the RPA which makes it legal for me to fly them for commercial use.
I'll find out early in the new year.

Bushie
Been here a while

Unread post by Bushie » January 4th, 2015, 6:24 pm

I've had one for a while but unfortunately not a lot of flying time. I will vouch for them being tough though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPAwh0PUzT0
Eringa Waterhole

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QoHDtVBqFM
Edward Creek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_1fch6Jk84
Bendethra & crash

Martyn

Return to “Photography”