"The Drip" - Mudgee NSW - What you missed....

Show us your photographic skills and work in here
Ezookiel
Need to get out more

"The Drip" - Mudgee NSW - What you missed....

Unread post by Ezookiel » June 16th, 2012, 4:13 pm

On both the SECOND Photo Trip (see the 2nd trip pics here) and the THIRD Photo Trip, I was hoping to get out to "The Drip" at Mudgee. I'd seen it mentioned in a letter to the Editor in the 4WD Action Mag, where the writer said it was "the most photogenic place she'd ever seen", and so I had wanted to get all the photo trip photographers out there. But it never eventuated.
We weren't able to ever find a way to fit it in on those trips, so for this recent third photo trip, I left for the trip several days early, and fitted it in for myself.
A local from the Mudgee area is another member on a photography forum that I'm part of (Australian Photography) and he played Guide for us, and took us out there for a look. Unfortunately, that meant not being able to get there at the crack of dawn as I'd wished, and we didn't get out there till midday, when the sky was really harsh for photographing dark damp caves and rock formations.
But we did the best we can, and so here's a representative selection of some of what you all missed by not fitting it into one of the trips.
It's a 1.4km (round trip = 2.8km) walk to the actual formation called "The Drip" but the whole walk is full of spectacular scenery and formations, including some original paintings in a cave that were done by the famous Brett Whiteley (sp?).

When you first pull into the carpark, this young fellow comes literally running up to clean the bugs off your car for you. I didn't even know they ate bugs.
Lithgow Trip 2012 - The Drip -_167_medium by Ezookiel, on Flickr

You then start out on the 1.4km walk along the edge of the Goulburn River where there are scenes like these:
Lithgow Trip 2012 - The Drip -_010_medium by Ezookiel, on Flickr

HDR 003_medium by Ezookiel, on Flickr

Lithgow Trip 2012 - The Drip -_035_medium by Ezookiel, on Flickr

Then when you reach the actual formation known as the drip - probably because of the constant wall of drips falling off the edge off it - you can't ever hope to do the size of the formation any justice, even in multiple shots, as you can't really fit the whole thing in, so I've tried to do it in multiple shots:

Viewing to the LEFT:
Lithgow Trip 2012 - The Drip -_093n_medium by Ezookiel, on Flickr

Viewing to the RIGHT (note the size of the people):
Lithgow Trip 2012 - The Drip -_092_medium by Ezookiel, on Flickr

A very small section of the MIDDLE:
Lithgow Trip 2012 - The Drip -_068-69a_medium by Ezookiel, on Flickr

Another attempt at the MIDDLE: (if you look at the size of a person in the previous two shots, a normal size person would barely reach the line of bright green ferns - unfortunately the others on the walk had gone off to sit in the sun to warm up (it was very very cold in the shade of the formation), so I couldn't get anyone into the shot for perspective (my lens would break if I had put myself in the shot), so you'll have to work from the earlier shot with them in it, to imagine the size in this shot.
Lithgow Trip 2012 - The Drip -_094_medium by Ezookiel, on Flickr

So anyway, this is a very very poor representation of what this place is like.
If you love scenic river walks, and great photo opportunities, and you're better at doing these kinds of places justice with a camera than I am, then go to the effort of driving the extra 60kms North of Mudgee and take a look at the place for yourself.

DGREER62
Avid Poster

Re: "The Drip" - Mudgee NSW - What you missed....

Unread post by DGREER62 » June 19th, 2012, 3:36 pm

Well it is a bloody spectacular "POOR" representation then! Absolutely beautiful!

Return to “Photography”