Canon EOS RP Mirrorless.

Show us your photographic skills and work in here
The Jacobite
I'm Baack!

Canon EOS RP Mirrorless.

Unread post by The Jacobite » March 31st, 2019, 6:22 am

Hi........ umm; well Hi to anyone. :purplex:

Tried my mates new Canon EOS RP Mirrorless............. not a fan but only mucked around with it for a day. I'll elaborate should someone respond.... :D

beaujest4
Part of the furniture

Re: Canon EOS RP Mirrorless.

Unread post by beaujest4 » March 31st, 2019, 8:48 am

The way it is going I think mirrorless will eventually mean the DSLR will become a thing of the past like a film camera. Especially when you consider how many people already use the screen on the back of their DSLR either just as playback to check the image or those that shot via Liveview. The principle is the same. How many of us really care about a mirror and a prism in the camera body that we don't see? At present I prefer shooting with a DSLR, it's a size thing. I prefer a camera I can hold comfortably and is ergonomic to use. The smaller mirrorless cameras I have tried I find fiddly and awkward and I just can not use the little point and shot cameras.

Eventually I guess a full frame full size mirrorless is the way I will be going. Eventually.

The Jacobite
I'm Baack!

Unread post by The Jacobite » April 4th, 2019, 6:53 pm

I don't like the fact you're looking at an electrical image rather than literally through the glass of a lens. Also Im the same as you, I like my camera and have a bit of bulk about it. That's one of the reasons why I use a battery grip. :D

beaujest4
Part of the furniture

Unread post by beaujest4 » April 5th, 2019, 7:50 am

Was out with a couple of pro photographers yesterday and they were saying there is no comparison and will go mirrorless for a stack of technical reasons. I guess when you consider what you can do with your phone camera that you can't do with your DSLR it does make sense. A mirrorless is much the same with a whole lot better quality.

The Jacobite
I'm Baack!

Unread post by The Jacobite » April 28th, 2019, 6:46 am

I get that this is the way it's going but that level of quality is just for the Pro's, imo. On quality. How does a mirrorless result in better quality. At the end of the day the mirror flips out of the way on a DSLR so for that moment it's effectively a mirrorless camera if you get what mean. Doesn't the quality come down to everything else? Without having looked into it in depth at this stage, my understanding is you pretty much just lose the mirror flip and noise on a mirrorless. Anyhow.................
I know if you gave me a mirrorless for a couple of months and I'd probably go Wow! but I just didn't like what I saw through the viewfinder on my mates EOS RP.

Cheers. :)

beaujest4
Part of the furniture

Unread post by beaujest4 » April 30th, 2019, 10:09 am

Just to clarify my comment above when I said a whole lot better quality I was referring to phone camera v DSLR/Mirrorless camera. Basically the 'quality' of an image between a DSLR and a similar mirrorless is going to be the same and I don't think that will be the main selling point between a DSLR and a Mirrorless. I think that will come down to the extra technology in the Mirrorless.

Your analogy of the DSLR and mirrorless is pretty much it, with the big change being instead of an optical view finder it is an electronic view finder. Just how good bad or indifferent they are I don't know. As technology improves the bigger changes will be with the screens on the back of the cameras. As an example recently took a mate to some old train tunnels and his daughter was using whatever mirrorless it was (4/3 sensor). They took a long exposure and using a torch to light paint the tunnel. Using the electonic screen on the back of the camera they could watch in real time the light painting as it was done and 'recorded' in the picture. This allowed them to know and see just what the image would be or where they had missed light painting.

Be interesting to hear what you saw that you didn't like.

The Jacobite
I'm Baack!

Unread post by The Jacobite » May 10th, 2019, 7:04 am

Your exactly right about it being the technology being the main difference between DSLR and Mirrorless.
Wow! wow! and wow! re the light painting. Now that is impressive and a good example of what your talking about.
One day maybe, just didn't like the viewfinder. Cheers. :D

beaujest4
Part of the furniture

Unread post by beaujest4 » May 21st, 2019, 9:01 am

How do you mean you didn't like the viewfinder? The display within the view finder of just the ergonomics of using the viewfinder?

The Jacobite
I'm Baack!

Unread post by The Jacobite » May 30th, 2019, 10:58 am

I could tell the second I put it up to my eye that it wasn't through the lens and that it was an electrical image. Shame the technology wasn't as such that the mirror could be a see through and reflective if you know what I mean. Like a one way mirror.

beaujest4
Part of the furniture

Unread post by beaujest4 » June 4th, 2019, 9:23 am

Can't say I have looked at one to say what they are like.

Return to “Photography”