Issues with the New Forum!

Keep up to date with Forum happenings & check out the Forum Rules & Guidelines
V Williamson
Part of the furniture

Issues with the New Forum!

Unread post by V Williamson » November 18th, 2017, 7:51 pm

Ok, so the new forum is up and running, but there have today been at least two "attacks" of so-called "adult" material that we don't need. Could a "report this post" option be made available so that forumites can simply "click" to alert the admin and moderators that attention is needed (without necessarily having to go to an explanation of the problem)? I say this as I would understand that mods and admin a have a life away from the forum and so these feral posts might hang around longer than might be desired.

Out of interest, could a forum have a "captcha" type acknowledgement on the first couple of posts from a new member to help filter out robot feral posts?

Brett Mcleod
Here and there

Re: Issues with the forum!

Unread post by Brett Mcleod » November 18th, 2017, 9:13 pm

V Williamson wrote:
November 18th, 2017, 7:51 pm
Could a "report this post" option be made available so that forumites can simply "click" to alert the admin and moderators that attention is needed (without necessarily having to go to an explanation of the problem)?
if you look at the top of your post to the right next to the (66) looking symbol used to quote this post there is an (i) symbol, that (i) symbol is the report this post option. its in between the edit button & the quote this post symbol.
think we just need to get used to where everything is now :)

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » November 18th, 2017, 9:19 pm

Thanks for the post about this, it adds to the supporting info we can pass back re what is & isn't working properly, and thanks for the suggestions too.

That said, there already is a 'captcha' type spam inhibitor on all new registrations, which means it takes an actual person to register in order to set up the username for those dodgy posts... but the nutters are out there in their millions!! Btw, this sort of stuff went on previously too, & we frequently got similar and even sometimes MASSIVE infestations/attacks of posts along the same lines, only by some fairly concerted & diligent Mod/Admin effort & attention we were generally able to get it off the public pages before most of you all even got around to seeing it..... most of the time!

There is also a 'Report Post' option, clicking on the mark up the top right of each post that Brett already mentioned above will allow any user to report a post (altho on my screen it shows as an exclamation mark ! ), with the option to add a little more info in the text field provided if you wish - but at its most simple, all it takes is 2 clicks, 1 on the mark, 1 on Submit, & the post is reported.

Despite that, as you already said, the Mod/Admins DO have a life away from here, as do the IT mob who also look after a raft of other EMG Forums & sites & have to try to keep them all up to speed & fully useable for all the various legit users, so sometimes it might take us a little while to get those dodgy posts removed. You can assist us by JUST reporting them, as well as never posting in reply or even posting anything after one of them - as soon as we can, the poster AND the post or thread will be removed entirely, and posts referring to them or after them/in the thread may also be removed, deliberately if appropriate/necessary, but sometimes just as collateral damage.... :o it isn't always easy to pull just one offensive post out of a whole lot, and the 'whole lot' may not even be in that particular thread!!

It's just a sad fact that there are nutters out there who enjoy making life difficult for others to enjoy their own lives & pursuits without this type of crap being dumped on them, so we have no choice but to deal with them as & how best we can... and sometimes that might mean the legit users have to put up with a little inconvenience before the Mod/Admins can sort it for you. Thanks for your understanding. ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

V Williamson
Part of the furniture

Unread post by V Williamson » November 19th, 2017, 1:45 pm

:boggle: ....ahhhh.... that "!" was what I was after! I didn't realize it was there for the exact purpose I was after. :o I was looking for a spelt out "report this post" - maybe a bit too much clutter when a "!" will do. One day I might learn how to use the forum. :whyme: Thank you for your help.

gqjay
Part of the furniture

Re: Issues with the New Forum!

Unread post by gqjay » December 5th, 2017, 8:34 pm

"That said, there already is a 'captcha' type spam inhibitor on all new registrations"

I couldn't sing in without a captcha and i have been a member for 10 years.

Still a very quiet forum with not much happening compared to others.

Return to “Forum Rules, Guidelines, News, and Updates”