Prevention - how have you stopped gear being stolen?

Stolen vehicles and parts, help us track them down!
JDs
Avid Poster

Unread post by JDs » April 27th, 2010, 11:00 pm

Doesn`t help if they have got a Tow Truck:confused:
"Only The Depth Varies"

dmp_383
Here and there

Unread post by dmp_383 » April 29th, 2010, 7:53 pm

This thread has got me concerned, I'm starting to think I should park the ute's around the back with the dogs now that we moved to the big smoke..... In saying that some scumbag stole 4 Cibie Oscars of my ute back home.

LandRover-Biohaz
Here and there

Unread post by LandRover-Biohaz » June 2nd, 2010, 12:12 am

Alarms dont help. My parents first land rover discovery got broken into in our driveway with security lights, first attempt they didnt get in but the dog heard something, went and checked it out, marks on the rear door. Then 5 minutes later alarm goes off, we switch the front light on (flicking it twice first so they knew we were there) then when out and the back door was slightly ajar. Called the cops, mum screamed IF YOU C**TS TRY THIS AGAIN THE DOG WILL HAVE YOUR BALLS! we went inside to wait for the cops, alarm goes off AGAIN! then we hear a scream then sirens. We went back out the front, the cat was marching up the driveway very proud of himself (he had stuck his claws in someones nuts before.. amazing guard cat RIP, die painfully the scum who baited him) and the cops had arrived. The car had NO prints and the only sign of forced entry was the scrape marks from their tools. Were just glad it had an immobilizer, and they knew it otherwise the car woulda been gone.
I love Julian and his '86 Rangie "Drangonfly"

LandRover-Biohaz
Here and there

Unread post by LandRover-Biohaz » June 2nd, 2010, 12:21 am

Oh yeah morale of the story, get a cat who weights 12kg and tech it where to go for, no one ever suspects the sweet adorable looking puddy tat Image
I love Julian and his '86 Rangie "Drangonfly"

whizzo
Need to get out more

Unread post by whizzo » June 2nd, 2010, 12:40 am

yeh allarms do work... but they have to be specificaly targeted at the offender...not the public....ya need to deafen them or frigthen the ###T out of them.

And yes yours did work......twice.

cheers

lenno
Here and there

Unread post by lenno » June 7th, 2010, 3:09 pm

I got a set of lightforce 240's not long ago
You can get lock nuts similar to the ones you put on ya wheels, im guessing that will be a good deterant
only thing is it only goes on the 2nd bolt, the bolt you use to mount on the bar could still be undone
hard work though cause they wouldnt be able to get to the top of the bolt

whizzo
Need to get out more

Unread post by whizzo » June 7th, 2010, 3:24 pm

As has been mentioned before..some of the curent trendy lights are good targets for theft.

Just the styling with a "funky brand name" on the makes them a target.

If you replace the bolts you can do a few things to make them very hard to remove..like flaring or buring the bolts.

cheers

Timber
Been here a while

Timber - Desert Driver

Unread post by Timber » June 7th, 2010, 9:16 pm

I have the best security available in my car. I rarely take the keys out, have never had anything stolen, and have never locked my car. Oh, my Blue Heeler lives in the car, on his own blanket. He will only eat on command from me, and the window sticker says, THE DOG BITES, and it is serious. I leave the windows open do that nhe can get in and out, and if I go anywhere I put his water bowl in the ute of the HiLux so he can get water. Nobody has ever gone near the car, so it must work.

sil_80
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by sil_80 » June 9th, 2010, 4:53 pm

i live on the gold coast and i have had my sil80 drift car stolen only to have it found with only the cheap and nasty bucket seats stolen, but the rails to hold the seats still in the car. and the jerks were kind enough to bring my school bag back so i could go to trade school the next day. they left the bag on the front lawn. then the other night got a phhone call from my girlfriend while i was at work she said someone has broken into our patrol when she came to get all they took was my whinch controller and they cut the power surply cablee for my gps, they then neatly put the gps in the glove box with the rest of the cable wrapped around it. they can in from the back of the patrol climb over all my recovery gear and tools about 3000 grand worth of stuff and only stole cables.. i went to cops just too let them no that there is some stupid stupid theies getting around in the town he laughed and i went home

stretch4x4

Unread post by stretch4x4 » June 9th, 2010, 5:37 pm

Timber wrote:I have the best security available in my car. I rarely take the keys out, have never had anything stolen, and have never locked my car. Oh, my Blue Heeler lives in the car, on his own blanket. He will only eat on command from me, and the window sticker says, THE DOG BITES, and it is serious. I leave the windows open do that nhe can get in and out, and if I go anywhere I put his water bowl in the ute of the HiLux so he can get water. Nobody has ever gone near the car, so it must work.
Hey Timber, im sure the dog works a treat, but I read where you live!
Would have to be nuts to steal from you in the first place :p Take too long to get anywhere useful with it! :crazy: Not to mention getting there to steal it in the first place :)
Image HDJ79R & Traxxas Summit

whizzo
Need to get out more

Unread post by whizzo » June 9th, 2010, 5:58 pm

weird things must go on in the heads of crims down the coast.....a mate had his car stolen down the coast......reported it and all...he did some driving arround looking for it over the next couple of days.

he found it two days later, more or less in tact, plus some litter exactly where he left it:confused:.

living out of town and having lots of dogs works well.... big brothers place..... there are usually at least 6 full grown dogs there.....all working dogs....one of them was rescued from an abusive home and is a bit toey.....it is always tied up when visitors are expected....and it hates long trousers with boots and noisy cars.......that is if you get past the geese.......no point locking anything when you live that far from anybody.........

cheers

stretch4x4

Unread post by stretch4x4 » June 15th, 2010, 10:16 am

Here is an interesting thought for immobilisation, not 100% sure on how well it would work in a four wheel drive but the idea is interesting.

Ground your car to make it go - Hack a Day

Timber
Been here a while

Unread post by Timber » June 15th, 2010, 11:20 pm

stretch4x4 wrote:Hey Timber, im sure the dog works a treat, but I read where you live!
Would have to be nuts to steal from you in the first place :p Take too long to get anywhere useful with it! :crazy: Not to mention getting there to steal it in the first place :)
Cheers Stetch, cheeky bugger. I have been to Kununurra and Broome and still have not locked the car or taken the keys out. People around the areas don't trust Blue Heelers.
The bush has one advantage over the city...It aint the city.
VKS-737 Mobile 2153

stretch4x4

Unread post by stretch4x4 » June 16th, 2010, 8:57 am

Timber wrote:Cheers Stetch, cheeky bugger. I have been to Kununurra and Broome and still have not locked the car or taken the keys out. People around the areas don't trust Blue Heelers.
Heh, now that says a lot more :)
Good work

AUSJohn
Here and there

Unread post by AUSJohn » July 6th, 2010, 11:00 pm

I imported two 12v 160dB @8amp sirens through the alarm company i work at. Tested 2 @ 162dB total.

At 160dB eyes, ears and noses will bleed. Permanent hearing loss will occur after just 3 seconds and vision impairment after 20 seconds. If you are really unlucky it can also cause cardiac arrest, organ failure and other nasty stuff. Stun grenades used by the military are around 170dB but only last 22 milliseconds. These can be pulsed for maximum effect. No one would be able to ignore it.

In my eyes a car is like a horse, and 200 years ago you were put to death for stealing someones horse.

On another note, CCTV systems are pretty cheap these days.

Return to “Stolen”