Prevention - how have you stopped gear being stolen?

Stolen vehicles and parts, help us track them down!
whizzo
Need to get out more

Unread post by whizzo » March 9th, 2010, 10:56 am

I have to say the siren inside method works.

Back when I was installing alarms, I never put a siren outside... pointless.
But quite often put lots of noise makers inside....ya want it loud.

I was doing an install in a church office once...I told the administrator I was going to test the sirens.. ( yeh yeh) ...I slashed the wires across a battery and she fell off her chair.

I helped a mate after his shed was knocked off....he now has 6 pairs of top hat screamers in his shed and seperate power supply to run them......it is just unbearable in there even with top of the range peltors

If you are using screamers, do them in close pairs, the oscilations beat against each other and make them sound twice worse.

the little screamers are good in cars..some cars have a hollow in the head rest....you can fit two in there.

your alarm system does not need to be complicated.

One other lesson.....IEI used to sell a variety of alarms...lots of them were in a box that had no lock.....ya just had to undo 4 very long screws to get them open, and one of the screws has a tamper switch on it....even with a battery drill it took 5 minutes to get the lid off.

long screws and nylocks..takes lots of time.

allen keys are good.........not many crims carry allen keys........even less carry torks.

Most pette crims arent very smart and fear and surprise are your best friends

Forget the man traps... just too risky.

But fright traps.........switch, battery & siren.... nothing to loose
One mate leaves a cheap compressor connected up to his air system with an open air line connected.....the cheap compressor is portable and very stealable.... but when they crack the air line it dumps 200 litres of air at 120 PSI and the big compressor starts.
That is what chaesd them off the time they broke in.

Yajust have to look at your own properlty as iff you were going to steal it......then use your imagination.......It can be a fun game and a chalenge.

the simplest for car theft is a switch in the electric fuel pump wire ( for older cars) , the car will drive untill the float bowl empties and then it wont go...so they walk away.

For other cars a switch in the fuel stop solenoid wire.

Oh there is a heap of em

cheers

ice_spy
Avid Poster

Unread post by ice_spy » March 9th, 2010, 2:35 pm

Too true, your advice is very good thanks, i was wondering how to prevent theft, as i know the old siren under the bonnet doesnt work. I cant afford satnav security, so some cheap screamers and deterants sounds like the go.

bad_religion_au
Need to get out more

Unread post by bad_religion_au » March 10th, 2010, 8:38 am

whizzo wrote:
the simplest for car theft is a switch in the electric fuel pump wire ( for older cars) , the car will drive untill the float bowl empties and then it wont go...so they walk away.
alternatively for EFI cars, do the same (switch in the fuel solenoid wire) but instead of it being on/off, it's either on, or runs through a slow burn fuse of the appropriate rating, they drive it a block, car konks out
the truth is in the rocks

trav298
Been here a while

Unread post by trav298 » March 11th, 2010, 1:25 am

I had the old switch on the electric fuel pump in my old VL. Car would start and run for 5 - 10 sec then conk out and no go. Had switch hidden so unless you knew about it - you go nowhere.
I wish more women were as dirty as my ute!

sMashed
Been here a while

Unread post by sMashed » March 11th, 2010, 2:11 am

Prevention: keep and eye on ya truck, internal screamers, lock out fuel pump switch.
Good insurance is a must, covering all your accessories. That way if it dose get knocked off ya can always build another.

watsea
Here and there

Unread post by watsea » March 12th, 2010, 1:49 am

trav298 wrote:I had the old switch on the electric fuel pump in my old VL. Car would start and run for 5 - 10 sec then conk out and no go. Had switch hidden so unless you knew about it - you go nowhere.
I had a switch on my VL too. It would not even fire up, just turn over with the starter. My daughter uses the car now. Great model commodore.
-------------------------------
1999 Prado V6 Bilstein Shocks & King Springs, Coopers ATRs, DIY Roof Basket
2003 Jimny

SamT78
Been here a while

Unread post by SamT78 » March 16th, 2010, 2:16 am

gorillaguy wrote:i find a 65kg pure bread great dane the colour of the night sky does the trick just nicely she even scares me sometimes.. all you can hear is this deep growl and a big shadow standing at the shed...haha.

does anyone have a pic of the pop rivet idea for their spotties i dont really under stand??
cheers

x2 for Great Danes. You obviously own a Blue Merle? I had a 45kg Great Dane x, and I was that confident in her ability to protect my car, i'd just leave the windows partly down, the doors all unlocked, and all my goodies within eyesight. It didn't matter where I was. Sadly my Great Dane recently passed away, but I do have a 60kg Mastiff x and a little Whippet. I'm not too sure about my Mastiff??? Would he attack would be theives or would he greet them wagging his gigantic tail and wanting some attention?

I have 2x Lightforce 240 and 2x Lightforce 140, so i'd also like some more information about the pop rivets through the bolts. I have been lucky when it comes to stuff being stolen, as I have only had a couple of stereos stolen, and that's about it.

When it comes to car audio (I have a decent setup in my 4wd), DON'T ADVERTISE IT TO THEIVES BY PUTTING STICKERS ON YOUR WINDOWS! If I see a 'Pioneer' sticker on the back window of any car, be it a Commodore or Landcruiser, I know that there is a decent system in it!

Oh and I never really do this, but with my old turbo diesel Pajero, I can remove the plug from the starter motor, and my engine will be dead, and it will take a while for somebody who doesn't know cars (or doesn't know my old diesel 4WD) to figure out what was wrong!
[font=Comic Sans MS][i]"If there is any road not previously travelled, then that is the one I must take" [/i][b]Edward John Eyre, 1841[/b][/font]

Scantek
Been here a while

Unread post by Scantek » March 16th, 2010, 11:34 am

When I went to put my spot lights on my roobar (gen Holden) I found the pre drilled holes were too far back and the lights could not tilt up far enough and foweling on the grill. I made 2 SHS brackets 40mm x 40mm x 2mm about 65mm long, welded a bolt through a hole in the bottom in a possition to match the roobar and drilled 2 new holes in the top for the Roo Lites. Then after the lights were mounted and aligned I capped the ends with plugs. Neat and looks like part of the roobar and tamper proof.

Russ

dieselpower_28
Been here a while

Unread post by dieselpower_28 » March 27th, 2010, 7:38 pm

i'm paranoid as hel after reading this thread now. probably not a bad thing. i had a fuel tap mounted in the boot of my old kingswood which worked a treat. only on me though...twice i forgot about it and had to push the bloody thing hahaha.

gonna do the spotlight thing and also get myself a decent alarm INSIDE the car. anyone got any tips for the slide windows on the side of a hzj75 troopy? apart from mesh (which i really dont want to do cause it looks crap) is there anything to lock the sliders with? maybe a bit of rod in the slider with a tacked on tab for easy removal?

d40.navara
Been here a while

Unread post by d40.navara » March 29th, 2010, 12:20 pm

only good for stopping theft of whole car a retired cop showed me.

one for the older rigs is to slide drivers seat as forward as possible and tilt the back rest till it hits the steering wheel then drill a hole the seat slide(plan carefully)so a padlock can be fitted unless they can drive from the passanger seat it should still be there when you get back.
IF IT’S UNBREAKABLE IT’S UNDERPOWERED!

muzza01
Part of the furniture

Unread post by muzza01 » March 29th, 2010, 12:27 pm

diesel power 28. Simple cheap fix for you. Put brass tap in fuel line under the bonnet. in suspect places, turn fuel tap off. if thieves get in and start car, they will only get 100 mts up the road before the run out of fuel. At this point if they don't give up they will have to find the tap, turn it on, bleed the system before getting your beloved troopy started. Believe me they gave up long before trying to bleed the system. Simple, cheap and works.
105 Series Turbo Diesel Cruza, 3 inch mandrel Taipan exhaust, BFG Km2's, 12K lb winch. 3 inch lift. Steel rear bar and twin wheel carriers. Dual Batteries with monitor, Brush bars, side steps, Roof Rack, Cargo barrier, UHF.

http://www.4wdaction.com.au

dieselpower_28
Been here a while

Unread post by dieselpower_28 » March 31st, 2010, 8:42 pm

hey muzza, that was the thing i had in my kingswood. works a treat i can assure you. i'll head down and get one because quite frankly it's really cheap insurance. cheers for the reminder

SURFINLEE
Been here a while

Unread post by SURFINLEE » April 6th, 2010, 11:46 am

HI Groovers,
I find that 60kg of ridgeback works great, but only if I actually got up to check out what he was going off his head at at 2.00am in the morning, instead of yelling to get the dogs to shut up and rolling over and going back to bed OOPS. Result, 1 navman, my stauns, GPS and my wallet which I forgot was in the car.

well I have learnt from that. Now when they go off, im up and ready for action lol

Cheers

Lee:D
[b][align=center]Vegitarian...
Saying from ancient times. Translates to..
Wussy man, who can't shoot, ride or cook[/align][/b]

JimmyTheHuman
Here and there

Unread post by JimmyTheHuman » April 13th, 2010, 6:22 pm

None of you have heard of a kill switch? Even easier with modern ECUs. In all my old XYs etc i always had kill switches and they were almost impossible to steal. Even better is a combination of switches. Or fuel solenoids with remote switches, let em get it started and go as far 50ml will take them until fuel runs out.

Navmania
Here and there

Unread post by Navmania » April 27th, 2010, 7:19 pm

Hi Guys

I had my SWB patrol taken a few years ago from a car park with a security guard on the gate, never got it back lost over 50k worth of 4x4.
Not that it helped in my case (they just took the whole truck) but for my lights I used a set of lock nuts with the special key for the nut, but as all you need is a pair of multi grips to remove them, but if you use a piece of tube the size of the key with a washer tacked to the top to cover the nut (like mentioned in other posts), this makes it almost impossible to steal even if the thief has a socket.
As for the internal screamer JAYCAR make a kit alarm that dose this, used them for years in other cars and still have the one that was going to be fitted to the SWB (I wasn't quick enough).
The other thing I'm working on is a peddle lock to lock the clutch and brake peddle together (hard to drive with the peddles moving together).
The moral to the story is if they want it they will get it.

Return to “Stolen”