Prevention - how have you stopped gear being stolen?

Stolen vehicles and parts, help us track them down!
whizzo
Need to get out more

Unread post by whizzo » August 12th, 2010, 10:24 pm

Its not a man trap:D.

People generaly have too simplistic a view of prevention.

It helps to have a twisted mind and be able to think like a crim.

Decoys and misdirection are always good tools.

Use of frustration, time wasting and disapointment traps seem to be ignored.

fear, surprise and disoreintation are all good tools.

Think practiacal jokes.... but more serious

Just don't try to hurt them.

And of course.....if a crim is presented with a nice, neat, rich looking house and an uggly, untidy, workin mans house....which one is the best target....at least that is what I tell the Mrs.

cheers

muzza01
Part of the furniture

Unread post by muzza01 » August 13th, 2010, 6:08 am

Thats Gold Whizzo.
105 Series Turbo Diesel Cruza, 3 inch mandrel Taipan exhaust, BFG Km2's, 12K lb winch. 3 inch lift. Steel rear bar and twin wheel carriers. Dual Batteries with monitor, Brush bars, side steps, Roof Rack, Cargo barrier, UHF.

http://www.4wdaction.com.au

stilivn
Been here a while

Unread post by stilivn » August 17th, 2010, 7:20 pm

After reading lots of stolen threads i suggest anyone with a GQ fits a alarm kit with immobiliser. Can be had for like 40-60 bucks off ebay.

outback cruisa
Need to get out more

Re: Prevention

Unread post by outback cruisa » October 13th, 2010, 11:07 pm

just a reminder for those willing to excert a bit of physical punishment on the air wasters...REASONABLE AND PROPORTIONATE FORCE is the key phrase...if they come swinging at you then right hook will fix that, they come at you with a knife/screwdriver/other weapon..then you can go the bat but body shots only lol better leave then witha cpl broken ribs in the back of a paddy wagon then them in the coriners car and you in the paddy wagon facing manslaughter charges

for those qurious about the rivet idea here is a pict of it
drill a hole through the bolt below where the nut will finish, then once the light is positioned on the car, stick that pop rivet in the hole and nip it up, really cheap insurance...

im lucky in a way, my front lights are on a small cross bar and with the size of the lights and the winch clutch levers its near impossible to get a spanner in there and deffinatly not a socket, you cant even get your fingers in there :D and my roof lights, to even get a spanner (19mm :D )to them you have to have a torx screw driver to remove the wind deflector off my roof racks as theres no room to get a socket underneath and the position of my mounting bracket tech screwed onto my crossbar you cant take to the lights from behind

my GPS/reverse camera has a solid mounting unit which i leave on the windscreen but i take the GPS unit out, i have my UHF a remote head so the best tyhey can do is steal the head but the base unit is on the other side of the car, i also have an imobialiser with a hidden switch (since i lost the remote) which i turn on in dodgy areas, but ill use the transfer case gear lever to neutral as well as the immobialiser in the future :)

also as far as car alarms go rather then get sensors that go off when the glass is broken or locks jimmied, get a biometric sensor and install it near your roof light, so it goes off once they are inside the car (they use these on convertables) and dont cost much more on your standard aftermarket alarm system.

someone mentioned making up the pedal bracket to lock the foot pedals together? you can buy them now too..

this is 1 style of them, others lock multiple pedal together

i know we all have dirty thoughts about protecting our cars, mate of a mate in darwin has gone the full james bond style and rigged up a small flame thrower under the front doors to the alarm system so when the ccar gets broken into to offender gets crispy leg hairs, but that pushing the limits just a tad far lol

Yes for the internal alarms inside the car, maybe on the idea of the colored strobes, instead of the colored ones, get a bright white strobe and replace 1 of your interior lights with it, so when the alarm goes off so does the bright white strobe lights, and at night time im opretty sure that will make it quite obvious to others around and also makes it hard to drive

just a point on the smoke machine idea..yes good idea, but think of the resale problems, you will no longer be able to sell the car as "non smoker" rofl

just mnake sure when your hooking up your super alarm system to wire it to your deep cycle 2nd battery so it dosent deaden your starter and so it can go for ages lol

just with the GPS theft thing...typical pathetic nova in brissy here did a thing they took bets on how long it would take before someone stole the GPS unit from an unlocked car parked in the middle of a dodgy area in the city...really how mature is this for a radio station? AM radio FTW :D

happy hunting ;)
Pathy Buildup: Project Pathy

4WDAction Issue 185 Full Feature

Sargent80
Been here a while

Unread post by Sargent80 » November 3rd, 2010, 8:47 pm

okay well today my brother was over and we had both our cruisers outside as we were comparing somthing (hight) and a gu came flying around the cornor was lift and mud hanging off it and as we were talking to the neighbour about 10metres from the cars they slowed right down and had a very long stare at the car.... dont know if they were admiring the cars or thinking off borrowing some gear. The guys in the patrol didnt really look like the nicest looking guys either looks like the cruiser will be locked up hidden for a while longer..

saying that a mate of mine had his cars windows smashed at the start of the year and again on monday night he was pulling out of a street guy runs up and brakes his windows with a baseball bat. My mate is the kind of guy that couldnt hurt a fly wouldnt say bad things about no one i geuss someone just doesnt like the look of him or either way hats him for an unkown reason

never heard of this happening around here and its starting to get worring

stevescolorado
Here and there

Unread post by stevescolorado » November 13th, 2010, 9:28 am

I had a Gu patrol with all the gear on it (now sold and owning a colorado) with the XGT 240 lights ont the bul bar.
The thing i found that worked was with the cross bolts was to get a tube of black silicon and fill in the gap around the bolts/nuts so it looks filled and put 2 anti theft nuts on the lower bolt.
And the stero screws put some metal putty in the screw "head" so no way of putting in a screw driver.

d40.navara
Been here a while

Unread post by d40.navara » February 21st, 2011, 9:49 am

my bosses 200 series was stolen last week around 2am from his driveway they must have planned it on bin night as every one would expect the truck noise, its believed it was towed.

One thing to note it was broken into a few weeks prior, they smashed a small triangle window on drivers side rear door.Nothing was missing. wonder if they have the right gear and info, can they make wireless key?

I remember when the VT commondoors were delivered to a central coast storage yard awating release to the public some clever theives stole several of them by removing a PART and fitting another re programmed PART allowing it to be driven in under 5 min.

i have been told this can be done with many cars wonder if the 200 series is subject to easy theft.

I am currently looking into gps and sms systems as towtrucks are a common method these days according to the local police.

never really liked dogs much but starting to see why people use them.

kroozn_along
Here and there

Unread post by kroozn_along » March 28th, 2011, 7:54 pm

a kill switch works well.
Last edited by kroozn_along on May 12th, 2011, 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HardCharger
Been here a while

Unread post by HardCharger » March 29th, 2011, 3:35 pm

Someone actually tried to steal my rear license plate last night, good thing he only got one bolt off the plate. I guess one of my neighbors woke up and saw the bugger so he wasn't able to steal it.

Any suggestions on how I can prevent any further attempts? Locktite? Spot welds?

stretch4x4

Unread post by stretch4x4 » March 29th, 2011, 3:44 pm

You can buy one way screws from racv or I am sure elsewhere..
Specifically for that, think you have to drill them out.
Image HDJ79R & Traxxas Summit

HardCharger
Been here a while

Unread post by HardCharger » March 29th, 2011, 4:58 pm

OK, thanks, Mate.

Will look for 'em. :thumb:

kroozn_along
Here and there

Unread post by kroozn_along » March 29th, 2011, 7:07 pm

Another way i kept my spot lights upfront where they belong..
I welded a nut to the under side of the bull bar where the spotties are.Then pulled the lense out of the light and put a bolt going down through the light.So the only way to remove the light is to strip it out to get to the bolt..The nut will not turn.

gunk
Avid Poster

Unread post by gunk » August 26th, 2011, 5:01 pm

whizzo wrote:one of the best nasty tricks I have heard of.... is to have a cheap safe in a relativly obvious place in the house.....fill it with crap.....now here is the key..... make sure it is just big enough to be aquard........make the sucker heavy but no so heavy that a large bloke or a couple of weedy drugies would not try to carry it away...then :D......... chain it to the floor from below and make the chain just long enough that ya cant quite stand up with it
We used to have a safe in our shop which was bolted to the floor with a few 6 inch long 1 inch diameter bolts straight through the bottom in to the concrete. It did a great job and never let go. Unforunately the concrete itself let go and we came in one day to find a large hole in the foundations.

lue438
Getting to know the place

Unread post by lue438 » November 23rd, 2011, 7:40 pm

someone mentioned making up the pedal bracket to lock the foot pedals together? you can buy them now too..

this is 1 style of them, others lock multiple pedal together

my michanic has used this idia for years for his customers cars in over night. it's pretty much two steal plates that bolt together locking all peddals. so if you push a peddal they all go to the floor

lue438
Getting to know the place

Unread post by lue438 » November 23rd, 2011, 7:43 pm

another idea for your spotties is after fiting them get a hold of a die with the same thread pattern but in a left hand thread then rethread the bolt 3/4

Return to “Stolen”