Prevention - how have you stopped gear being stolen?

Stolen vehicles and parts, help us track them down!
BushyD22
Been here a while

Prevention - how have you stopped gear being stolen?

Unread post by BushyD22 » August 28th, 2009, 2:00 pm

I thought I might throw this up here to find out ways you guys have prevented stuff being stolen or caught thieves. Any good products like cameras, those fold down poles or tricks to securing stuff on the truck etc.

Maybe we can prevent some of this thievery or at least catch them.

Some suggested ideas in thread below include-
Alarms
Motion activated cameras
12v Electric fences
12 gauge and buckshot
Nylock nuts and locktite
Hardened steel hardware
04 D22- 3" lift, 33" STs, 16" Enkei Race wheels, Locked up front and a whole lotta grinding!!!!!:D:D:D
plus the dual batterys, uhf, 50l fridge, roof racks, bashplates and onboard compressor.:truck:

Midian
Been here a while

Unread post by Midian » August 28th, 2009, 7:49 pm

This is one topic that really gets me going!......Well there is cameras ;motion activated that can be hidden to record theiving activities.
The one I am looking at is an electric dog fence (designed to keep the dog in the back yard)if it can be set up for 12v and make sure it doesnt damage vehicle components.
I guess a car alarm is a good idea but the best is a camp guard pref.with 12g and buckshot.
Just dont leave too much booze with him ,may not be awake when you get back!
In the last couple years I have caught two would be theives,the first one ran like no tomorrow when I screamed what I was gonna do to him .The second one came with his torch (the very night the street light went out)so I shined mine right back at him.I asked him what the f*&K c#*t was looking for and he casually walked off. I should have drilled him just to speed things up a bit! I blame the dealers up and down the road though.
Some other prevention is using nylock nuts and locktite on your lights and making it so you can only un-do them with an open end spanner of the correct size.The idea is it they most likely wont have the correct tool to remove them or will take them too long to steal so just give up.Aerials are a bit harder to secure,I havent found one for that. Usually an antenna is stuffed if you dont have the whole co-ax to go with it but they dont know that.

adam_lavv
Avid Poster

Unread post by adam_lavv » August 28th, 2009, 10:35 pm

A few kids were trying to make off with my sisters boyfriends commodore , When he confronted them (Big bloke) they casually said it was their car and they locked the keys in side. He pulls out his key and says let me try "click" ,

They walked away with their tales between their legs ,

Anyway , A good form of prevention is too thread lock everything , with a security light facing right on the car
I don't own a 4x4 :( yet . . . .

nilla60

Unread post by nilla60 » August 29th, 2009, 2:06 am

Old guy I knew got back from buying new boots to find a guy trying to remove his driving lights. Quietly put his case of beer down on a nearby car and kicked the mongrel good and hard in the ribs with a new set of GPs.

More recently my old man noticed someone was quietly drilling out the aluminium pop-rivets on his garage door, obviously intending to peel back the tin. He waited until the would be thief had done the work of drilling most of them out and then replaced the missing pop-rivets with good hardened steel ones.

Never mind the old codger who'd filled every nook and cranny of his roof cavity with barbed wire.

Most traps end up catching friends and family.

flyin-bogga
Here and there

Unread post by flyin-bogga » August 31st, 2009, 1:39 pm

hey bud i had a set of light force go missing, so in the end i replaced the bolts with longer ones and fastened them to the bull bar and put a tack weld on the bottom of the thread, that way they cant get them off with out a grinder, and to take them off just grind the tack weld off and replace the bolt ( all up about $3.00 insurance) havnt had one ounce of trouble since...

fixitdude74
Been here a while

Unread post by fixitdude74 » September 5th, 2009, 4:06 pm

Last time i was in opposite lock, i saw they sell those anti-theft nuts for driving lights and other accessories...........................good to see someone has come up with a deterant to stop these frikin idiots stealin stuff.
But someone needs to come up with a device to stop lightforce reflector housings being nicked, i'm always hearin about people gettin them stolen.

ANGRY6
Avid Poster

Unread post by ANGRY6 » September 6th, 2009, 6:00 pm

Just a quick shout out to people in the western suburbs of Melb, theres a grey 04-ish dual cab hilux going around with about 20 spotties (no joke) all around the roof rack, and word going around mates is that they are all stolen.
Looks like the guy literally cannot fit any more lights on his car so if youve had a pair nicked in the past year theres every chance its this bloke.

Daniel
[size=200][url=http://img15.imageshack.us/my.php?image=4wdactionpic.jpg][font=Arial Black][color=black]60 SERIES[/color][/font][/url][/size]
[size=134][b][color=green][u]EFS 3" LIFT[/u] [/color][color=red]GME TX3420[/color][/b][/size]
[size=134][u][i][b]35" Pro Comp Mud Terrain[/b][/i][/u][/size]

Travis22
Avid Poster

Unread post by Travis22 » September 7th, 2009, 6:05 pm

nilla60 wrote:
Never mind the old codger who'd filled every nook and cranny of his roof cavity with barbed wire.
Hahaha, I love it!

Travis.

HJ75Steve
Here and there

Unread post by HJ75Steve » October 3rd, 2009, 12:06 am

Drill a small hole in the thread of your spot light's mount and put a pop rivet through it.
Cheers.
Steve.
[align=center][font=Arial Black][size=167][color=blue][b]My HJ75[/b][/color][/size][/font][/align]
[align=center][url]http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=94538[/url][/align]

old fella
Here and there

Unread post by old fella » October 3rd, 2009, 8:17 am

i do nearly the same but put a split washer through hole,
years ago i had my brothers caravan outside my house and caught too guys breaking into it, ran out in jock's caught one and gave him the biggest flogging , the other prick ran like a dingo with his tail between his legs, they never came back again, my wife still laughs about me out there in my jocks.

lue438
Getting to know the place

Unread post by lue438 » October 3rd, 2009, 12:30 pm

heres a couple of ideas for all of us 4wders who enjoy better sound quallity then what the stocko speakers can give in our trucks, rigs, cars or what ever you want to install speakers in to. 1 stay away from the speacker pods you can get that screw on to your doors for one they are easily spotted just by walking past and two one good kick and the pod drops off leaving only the cables too be cut. 2 (i don't know what there called) with every pair of speakers you can buy these days they come with these fasteners that are like a clipp that you slide over your door trim and the screws then bite into them. well i've found and it takes a little bit longer to install but screw the speakers onto your door trim ( you'l need to have the trim off to do this) then when you have the speakers where you want them loosen off the screws, with a pair of pliars, hold these clip thingy's on the back of the trim and tighten the screws back up so they bite into the clips. so now when any would be theif trys to rob you of you speakers, when he or she goes to undo the screws they just sit there free spinning because the clip is held on buy the screw but is free to spin with it leaving your speakers safe between the screw head and your door trim

BushyD22
Been here a while

Unread post by BushyD22 » October 3rd, 2009, 2:00 pm

i like the idea for the speakers. i'll have to try it.
04 D22- 3" lift, 33" STs, 16" Enkei Race wheels, Locked up front and a whole lotta grinding!!!!!:D:D:D
plus the dual batterys, uhf, 50l fridge, roof racks, bashplates and onboard compressor.:truck:

OzBull78
Been here a while

Unread post by OzBull78 » October 3rd, 2009, 3:21 pm

Another Quick easy theft prevention trick for 4wd owners is to slip the transfer case into neutral when you park it... If a potential thief gets into your 4B and manages to start it, he'll be scratching his head as to why it wont drive... He'll have made enough noise by then and will most prob nick off before he figures out the problem... Just make sure you're not parked on a hill and the hand brake works ok... I use this one at dodgy boat ramps on overnighters, and on the apprentices at work, always makes me smile when I see the look on their face when they think they broke the work truck...:D

CRAB
Been here a while

Unread post by CRAB » October 4th, 2009, 8:27 am

hey ozbull yer i do the exact same with mine actually got my brother with it

he jumped in to move it and wouldnt go and hes been drivin 4wds for alot longer than me and didnt even think to check it till i told him
IF I DONT ANSWER IM NOT IGNORING U IM JUST ASLEEP AT THE WHEEL:drink::drink::drink:
CHECK OUT MY SHED
[url]http://www.4wdaction.com.au/shed/index.php?id=7513&im=1[/url]

Troopyman
Been here a while

Unread post by Troopyman » October 5th, 2009, 3:56 pm

More of a prevention really . I have a huge padlock and a thick non cuttable stainless wire with a loop each end . One end of the rope goes around the steering wheel and then the steel chair support .Both ends end up on the padlock . You cannot turn the steering wheel unless you break the steering wheel .
:drink:[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inDf6-TUq5s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inDf6-TUq5s[/url]

Return to “Stolen”