Sir Snagger's 1997 2.8 GU Patrol

Whether it's your first tourer or a hardcore playtruck, show us your vehicle or what you're building inside, and keep us up to date on your mods as they happen!
Sir Snagger
Part of the furniture

Sir Snagger's 1997 2.8 GU Patrol

Unread post by Sir Snagger » February 25th, 2010, 3:40 pm

To skip though to where the Patrol stuff starts (Page 6), click HERE

G'day all. I've finally gotten around to making up one of these for my automobile. Firstly, my names Lindsay and I'm a Bunbury local. My first car was a 1991 Jackaroo and when I decided I wanted an upgrade, I had my heart set on a latermodel (98+) diesel varient. Anyways, a friend put me onto a car a colleague of hers was selling. It was however a petrol, but upon seeing it and driving it for the first time, well lets jsut say I now own a 1998 Jackaroo SE with the 3.5L V6 engine.

When I got it in Feb last year it was pretty much stock standard (inc. factory ECB bullbar). That has slowly been changing. The interior now boasts a new Stereo (bluetooth handsfree built in), new speakers, slim-line sub + amp to match, Roof mounted centre console containing a GME TX3220 UHF radio and ARB air compressor mounted under the drivers seat.

On the outside, the 2 hella spotties have been replaced with 2 Lightforce 170 Striker's with Crystal Blue Combo Lenses, personalised bonnet protector, Rhino cargo bars and shovel holder (alloy tray is in the shed until needed), Though Dog 40mm Bore Shocks and springs all round (2" lift) and most importantly, a set of 31" BFG KM2 mud terrain tyres on black steel rims.

Got some pictures but need to get a some better ones of it actually offroading. Hopefully a trip up Mundaring will fix that.
Last edited by Sir Snagger on November 17th, 2012, 6:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sir Snagger
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Sir Snagger » February 25th, 2010, 3:48 pm

As it stands with the Rhino Rack and Lightforce spotties. The alloy tray is the perfect
size for my double swag which makes for a good place to sleep - just don't forget when
you get up in the middle of the night.

A bit of articulation testing.

The centre roof console and UHF. For anyone wondering, no I did not build that myself
because I'm lazy and also not all that handy with power tools....yet.

The ARB Air Compressor

Getting the new tyres dirty

My Jack, a mates 94 Jack and our family 91 Jack - (theres another 95 jack next to the
shed which is up for wrecking. Auxillary fuel tank in it if anyones interestes?)

Sir Snagger
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Sir Snagger » February 25th, 2010, 3:57 pm

It's amazing what you can find on eBay these days. :waycool:

chikoroll
Need to get out more

Unread post by chikoroll » February 25th, 2010, 7:04 pm

:) looking good mate :D

good to see the jack lineup :)

:P always amused by the blotching the licence plate thing, after all these years, i still don't get it

Oznut
Need to get out more

Unread post by Oznut » February 25th, 2010, 7:35 pm

Nice Jack mate, looks bloody tidy. Regarding the blotching the number plate.......when you drive a bright purple hilux there is no point in hiding the plate.

:D:D

Again, sweet Jack.
Hilux/Surf/4Runner Meet Info
[url=https://www.facebook.com/TheAnnualHiluxMeet]TheAnnualHiluxMeet[/url]

Twin locked Lux, tyres, lift and a whole lotta right boot.

Sir Snagger
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Sir Snagger » February 25th, 2010, 10:52 pm

Thanks guys. Spent quite a bit of time reading a lot of yoru posts Chiko.

I only have the plates botched out in those cos at the time I thought it was the done thing. now I'm (not that much) older and (a little bit) wiser plus a tad lazier :p so it doesn't happen on new photos. hopefully getting new personal plates sometime soon anyway so won't make a difference - especially with the bonnet protector.

WEGO4B
Avid Poster

Unread post by WEGO4B » February 25th, 2010, 11:21 pm

:thumb: Looking good snags so how do you find the km2's? re the number plate thing... meh, to each there own, as you said when you go to personal plates youll stand out anyways. Where'd you get the roof console from? would look at doing my own but i neither have the time or the patience :crazy: and it looks fairly similar to what i have in mind anyways.

Keep the pics coming mate
TD LN 106 DUAL CAB HILUX... Twin Locked 120L Long Range Tank, SAAS Buckets, 12000pd Tigerz Winch, Dual Batteries, 33" MTZS Super Tourer in progress!!

Sir Snagger
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Sir Snagger » February 25th, 2010, 11:27 pm

WEGO4B wrote::thumb: Looking good snags so how do you find the km2's? re the number plate thing... meh, to each there own, as you said when you go to personal plates youll stand out anyways. Where'd you get the roof console from? would look at doing my own but i neither have the time or the patience :crazy: and it looks fairly similar to what i have in mind anyways.

Keep the pics coming mate
Hi WEGO4B. I'm loving the KM2's. Even on the beach they're great - just comes down to a little bit more air outta the valve. I got the console from Department of the Interior Car Consoles & 4WD Storage Drawers overhead consoles roof consoles custom built consoles 4WD interiors storage systems vehicle consoles radio console dashboard pod four wheel drive (Department of the Interior). A little bit pricey. I paid $500.50 for mine delivered. Comes down to what you want in it. If you were to get a basic one then cut your own holes it could be cheaper but I prefer buying things complete.

Sir Snagger
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Sir Snagger » April 2nd, 2010, 2:37 am

Hi all. I'm a bit behind on the pics i think. Might take a cppl on the weekend. Had the drivers door and some other areas panel beaten and repainted and the whole car buffed a cppl of weeks ago and had it given the thorough once over whilst in the the airport parking so when i rocked up from work today in Perth, it looked like it had just rolled off the showroom floor. This was evident when i stopped for fuel and I guy with a nice boat i'd just commented on asked what it was and if it was brand new?! kinda laughed and said it's actually 12 years old but could barely tell with the clean it had had.

WEGO4B
Avid Poster

Unread post by WEGO4B » April 3rd, 2010, 8:42 pm

Hey Snags checked out the link for the roof console and looking at it more and more think ill have a crack at building it myself, there isnt much in the way of dimensions though on the site so would you be able to send em to me via pm? oh yeah re the sway bar disconnects, they work well the only dilema is that when the limit of drop on them kicks in it can misalign the spring (pops out) can be solved with a drop cone or something, ive just been lucky so far that it hasnt popped out, give Snake Racing Australia - Trick Off Road Componentry for your 4x4, 4WD vehicle a look or call as thats where the ones ive got are from, kindly donated to me from Dirtyjack, but he may know the part number if your lucky!
TD LN 106 DUAL CAB HILUX... Twin Locked 120L Long Range Tank, SAAS Buckets, 12000pd Tigerz Winch, Dual Batteries, 33" MTZS Super Tourer in progress!!

Sir Snagger
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Sir Snagger » April 7th, 2010, 5:09 pm

WEGO4B wrote:Hey Snags checked out the link for the roof console and looking at it more and more think ill have a crack at building it myself, there isnt much in the way of dimensions though on the site so would you be able to send em to me via pm? oh yeah re the sway bar disconnects, they work well the only dilema is that when the limit of drop on them kicks in it can misalign the spring (pops out) can be solved with a drop cone or something, ive just been lucky so far that it hasnt popped out, give Snake Racing Australia - Trick Off Road Componentry for your 4x4, 4WD vehicle a look or call as thats where the ones ive got are from, kindly donated to me from Dirtyjack, but he may know the part number if your lucky!
G'day mate. I ran outta time to measure it up at home. Thats the only picture I've got of it but basically it just follows the shape of the roof with a metal bracket cut to the same shape as the rear view mirror cover (take mirror off and screw mounting screws through the bracket) and the other end has two screw holes which line up with the mounting holes for the interior light and a larger hole for the actual light to fit through when mounting it. Might do up some basic drawings tonight if ya like and post it up for you. Beyond getting those bits matched up and the lines of the roof, then the rest is up to you really, how deep/wide you want it, if you want a radio/uhf/map lights/storage compartment in it etc.

Sir Snagger
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Sir Snagger » April 8th, 2010, 12:27 pm

Here's a (crude) diagram showing how the Roof Console is mounted to the ceiling utilisting the Interior Light holes and rear view mirror brackets.

Sir Snagger
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Sir Snagger » April 19th, 2010, 7:01 pm

Well it's finally done. Took the aluminium steps after a cppl of rocks demonstrated that they
really are only for standing on, not resting your car on! So after a few hours with a local fabricator
(thanks to Surfjoy for putting us in contact Image) we came up with the below results.

Before Sliders

With Sliders

3mm Round Tube Side Slider

4mm Rectangular Tube Main Slider

10mm Steel Plate support

Steel Right Angle with brace welded under the chassis instead of vertically on the side because of limited space near rear wheels.

Sir Snagger
Part of the furniture

Old & New

Unread post by Sir Snagger » June 14th, 2010, 9:00 pm

Well here we are, some pictures of both the old bus and new daily driver? Decided I needed a new car for the fortnightly trip to Perth and back to save on fuel costs (heavy foot + big engine = empty wallet). So a new diesel has entered the ranks. 2010 Isuzu D-Max, Crew Cab, styleside with ARB Canopy and Opposite Lock Winch Bar.

I was going to sell the Jackaroo but changed my mind. It shall be kept as the main offroader with the D-Max becoming my long distance ride, with the odd beach run.

Indy Hepburn
Need to get out more

Unread post by Indy Hepburn » June 15th, 2010, 4:04 pm

I like your thinking mate:thumb:, you sure are lucky to have two fourbys, a brandnew one too!!:crazy:

Did you get a deal from Isuzu??
if in doubt more right foot!

Return to “Members Rides, Buildups, and Projects”