Waitesy's chopped hj47 troopy rebuild time

Whether it's your first tourer or a hardcore playtruck, show us your vehicle or what you're building inside, and keep us up to date on your mods as they happen!
Waitesy
Avid Poster

Re: Waitesy's Chopped HJ47 getting a Turbo and other goodies

Unread post by Waitesy » February 12th, 2012, 4:55 pm

Tassie Surf wrote:There is a guy on outerlimits who has put a 1hdt and associated 5 speed in a 45. I think that he ran a rear mount radiator so it might be worth doing a few measurements. His 45 is black, but i cant remember his username atm.

I have always wanted to do it with a 45 ute though, so ill be interested to see how you go.

My housemate has a 1hdt auto 80 series and it goes very well. no shortage of power or torque.

Good luck. And like you say, it ays to know the right people. Sounds like you have enough people who are willing to help out too which should help!

Tassie Surf.
i've been having a look on there and only found 1 black one it's "84sloth" who has it he orginally ran the rad in the engine bay but moved his body back 70mm so it would no longer fit under there so ran it in the back but it did fit so hopefully it will be sweet i haven't got it yet but the bloke is going to give me a call later this week about it :cool:
yeah i know a fair few blokes who are pretty cool and help me out with stuff which is Awesome!
My Rigs:
1982 HJ47 troopy cut down, lifted and locked.
1988 HJ75 ute slowly getting rebuild.
1985 HJ60 coiled comp truck.
as we grow older, we don't grow up our toys just get bigger and more expensive.

stretch4x4

Unread post by stretch4x4 » February 12th, 2012, 5:00 pm

Hmm your not thaaaaaat far away.. Should get you to start throwing some bits my way :D
Image HDJ79R & Traxxas Summit

Mr_Toyoda
Been here a while

Unread post by Mr_Toyoda » February 12th, 2012, 5:31 pm

I would still run the 12HT, better engine IMO. I put one in a 75 series ute i built and was just tough and felt like i had a lion under the bonnet. I ran it at 16psi, extra fuel and a strait through 3 inch mandrel exhaust and it used to drag my brothers 79 series 1hdfte ute off on road, off road in every way possible and it used way less fuel than his, a normal 1hdt could not even come close to catching me. 167 hp and 704 nm at the wheels.

Waitesy
Avid Poster

Unread post by Waitesy » February 12th, 2012, 6:00 pm

stretch4x4 wrote:Geez you do know the right people.
That motor should go very nicely and worth dropping into any Toyota :p
Should go in the 75 pretty easy if it won't go in the 47..
dammit it don't you hate it when you write a long message and it deletes on you :mad: any how yeah i guess i do know some great people who are willing to give me a hand alot of them are older blokes who like the fact that i'm into restoring older cars not just flogging about in a vs commondore. haha yep it would be pretty sweet in the 75 but the 2h motor in that even though it is old is in great nick doesn't have a puff of smoke on start up or nothing and i think the 47 is a lacking compression a bit it gave me a scare on the boat ramp the other day i was putting the boat in and the motor cranked over from lack of compression, but it is still going well doesn't seem to be affecting it performance at all and is still relible but yeah haha.
My Rigs:

stretch4x4

Unread post by stretch4x4 » February 12th, 2012, 6:04 pm

Yeah fair call. Either way put it to use :)
Hmm could make another fun project :p like you need more :crazy:

Also if you lose a long message the back button can sometimes save it.. depends how you lost it..

Mr Toy-oda wasn't that motor fully rebuilt with special pistons and everything oversized? Kind of doesn't really make for a fair comparison does it..

Waitesy
Avid Poster

Unread post by Waitesy » February 12th, 2012, 6:06 pm

stretch4x4 wrote:Hmm your not thaaaaaat far away.. Should get you to start throwing some bits my way :D
hahaha i hve some 75 series crap you can have nothing good though i have 3/4 of a cab and a chassis you can have if you want to come take it away :lol:
Mr_Toyoda wrote:I would still run the 12HT, better engine IMO. I put one in a 75 series ute i built and was just tough and felt like i had a lion under the bonnet. I ran it at 16psi, extra fuel and a strait through 3 inch mandrel exhaust and it used to drag my brothers 79 series 1hdfte ute off on road, off road in every way possible and it used way less fuel than his, a normal 1hdt could not even come close to catching me. 167 hp and 704 nm at the wheels.
yeah mate i'll see what happens only reason i'm looking at this is because it's cheap at $0 haha and you'd spend a good 6k plus on a 12ht even though it would be easier to fit the 12ht it all comes back to a $$$ i know there probably a more solid motor too.
My Rigs:

Waitesy
Avid Poster

Unread post by Waitesy » February 12th, 2012, 6:22 pm

stretch4x4 wrote:Yeah fair call. Either way put it to use :)
Hmm could make another fun project :p like you need more :crazy:

hahaha i only have 2 projects haha but i know where theres an ln106 hilux forsale for nicks mmmmm haha nah don't think the motor would fit :lol:

Also if you lose a long message the back button can sometimes save it.. depends how you lost it..

ahhh it happened again somebody sent me a pm ''hint hint" hahaha and when i hit submit it went onto screen telling me i have one new pm and cancel the post hahahaha.

Mr Toy-oda wasn't that motor fully rebuilt with special pistons and everything oversized? Kind of doesn't really make for a fair comparison does it..
would make a fair difference a worked motor the power figures i thought were pretty impressive for only a 6 diesel running 16psi but i'd never had one of the motors only driven a mates who hadn't had it on a dyno so i wouldn't know.
My Rigs:

stretch4x4

Unread post by stretch4x4 » February 12th, 2012, 6:40 pm

Hehe yeah that is highly annoying and I asked them to fix that..
The trick is to hit back as soon as you see that message and your post should still be there.. Then submit it and you can go check your pm after :)

Mr_Toyoda
Been here a while

Unread post by Mr_Toyoda » February 12th, 2012, 8:14 pm

stretch it was slightly tougher than stock ;) but they are such a over engineered engine from the factory anyway and would handle anything i reckon

Waitesy
Avid Poster

Unread post by Waitesy » May 7th, 2012, 8:36 pm

haven't done anything to this in ages only driving it round town, i've got a 4wdaction coming down on wednesday for a shoot on it which im soo keen for.

but i'm currently looking for a 12ht 60 series if anyone has one forsale for round 2 of the build which will involve a few other things redone.(steering, gearbox, front suspention) plus a few other things so stay tuned. hopefully have my ute done soon so i can start although it still needs alot of work done.

cheers Waitesy
My Rigs:

TOYOTANUTS
Been here a while

Unread post by TOYOTANUTS » May 7th, 2012, 9:05 pm

what happened to the 1hdt plan?

Waitesy
Avid Poster

Unread post by Waitesy » May 7th, 2012, 10:24 pm

seller fell through, and summing it up it's so much more work for no real benefit, 12ht is just that much more easy so i'll be going that way just got to find a good one first.
My Rigs:

jimmy66
Been here a while

Unread post by jimmy66 » May 8th, 2012, 7:46 pm

well what can i say after knowing what she was like when i sold her to you (the troppie) and then going for a spin in her on sunday all i can say to you others out there is ,the photos dont do her justice... bloody awesome mate

did i give you the spare keys ???

Waitesy
Avid Poster

Unread post by Waitesy » May 8th, 2012, 8:16 pm

haha cheers jamie.
you have a spare key hmmm better lock her in the shed haha. nah only ever got the one with it was planning on having a few more cut but.

oh on another note the shoot is no longer being done tomorrow they cancelled it :/ but they said they would rescedual *spelling* for another time.
My Rigs:

luxman455
Been here a while

Unread post by luxman455 » May 8th, 2012, 8:38 pm

yeah not happy about that can't believe they ditched you :confused:
Who cares if you've got a Nissan that's your fault! Just drive it :)
my old Hilux viewtopic.php?f=22&t=121300

Return to “Members Rides, Buildups, and Projects”