RIP Uted 100, Hello GU Ute! 100 Series on Issue 166 DVD

Whether it's your first tourer or a hardcore playtruck, show us your vehicle or what you're building inside, and keep us up to date on your mods as they happen!
Gryffin01
I'm new, be nice!

Re: RIP Uted 100, Hello GU Ute! 100 Series on Issue 166 DV

Unread post by Gryffin01 » May 12th, 2015, 9:00 pm

Sorry. I've been a bit rude. I should have mentioned my ride. After about two years of trying, I got my hands on a 2006 ST cab-chassis with less that 50,000km on it and bog stock standard apart from a 3" exhaust.

I've put on some clearview electric mirrors and a relay bank for additional electrics.
The pump tuning started today with the usual aneroid adjustments. A/F ratio after first adjustment was a dirty 15:1 as boost started. Now a more respectable 16.5:1. But at least the pickup is much better.

tas80
Been here a while

Unread post by tas80 » May 12th, 2015, 9:07 pm

Gryffin01 wrote:30 pound by 2000 is pretty awsome.
I assume that that turbo is one of Mat's UFI modified turbos? It must be just about boosting right off idle. It must turn heads when you blast off at the traffic light drags.

Just ordered my cooling mist. Cost $770 AUD landed.

Did you go straight to the 12mm plunger pump or did you experiment with the OEM pump first? I wasn't sure, looking at your early posts.
Yep, TD05 18G from Matt. I'm running 4.6 diff gears to suit the 35's/37's so load is pretty low on the engine when I've got the wheels I'm engineered on for daily driving which come in at 34". Only see that 30psi by 2000rpm under full load. The Patrol definitely surprises a few people at times.

Did a few thousand k with the factory pump. I had a play with the compensator, gave it maximum on boost fuel and also a fair bit on the fuel screw. The mechanic I use for jobs I don't want to do myself described it as the best driving GU he'd been in when it was set up like that. He took it for a spin with the 12mm pump and meth later on, came back and said "that thing's a f###ing animal" after lifting a front wheel pushing it into a corner :lol:
100 Series: Ute chopped, Locked and Rolled

GU Coil Cab: Work in progress!

My Ute Chopped Hunjy/GU Ute

tas80
Been here a while

Unread post by tas80 » May 12th, 2015, 9:12 pm

Gryffin01 wrote:Sorry. I've been a bit rude.....
No worries mate.

You've done well picking one up with those sort of k's. They certainly last well so long as they're serviced. As I mentioned earlier mine has 330k on the engine and never had the head off.

Have you checked the static timing on yours? Generally they're retarded way too far largely due to emissions regs, recently had a play with a mates rig, he had the timing to adjusted 0.7 we then gave it a little extra on boost fuel, timing made a big difference.

Gryffin01
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Gryffin01 » May 12th, 2015, 10:24 pm

I haven't checked the timing. That will happen in the next day or two. I have just done the simple stuff first up. Just finished putting the beast back together. It's taken about an hour to disable the EGR and remove the butterfly. Had a stickybeek inside the intercooler too. All clear. Just took a quicky around the block. No more exhaust brake sound on over run and just a bit better pickup.
You mentioned 0.7mm. I take it that is the pump plunger lift at TDC? Seems a bit shy of what I expected. In terms of fuel delivery, it's about the same per pot as my ancient turbo Hilux. I had that out to 42 thou. I think that's about 1.07mm. Or is that measurement at another timing point?

tas80
Been here a while

Unread post by tas80 » May 13th, 2015, 12:25 pm

Yep, measurement on the plunger as usual on these style of pumps. 0.7 is a figure that seems to get thrown around as a good general starting point, I know of one TD42Ti engine local to me that was untouched from standard and having some starting issues, it was found to be at about 0.4 :boggle:

tas80
Been here a while

Unread post by tas80 » October 17th, 2015, 6:22 pm

I've done very little to the Patrol other than drive it for quite a while now. Finally I'd had enough of the impractical tray so made some changes. The old tray served its purpose well for a couple of years but storage space was always an issue when camping. I was on the lookout for a secondhand canopy setup when I came accross a pair of ex Antarctic Division gullwing door toolboxes at an auction. Snapped them up at a good price and set about fitting them.

Cut the stays off the roll bar on the tray and bolted them on.

A single piece of LED strip lighting sure checks out some light.

Much more comfortable camping setup, 4 day trip with the club coming up next week :)

Welded up a fridge slide.

The highmount also saw some attention. It's had quite a few mods done to it Already, Gigglepin shaft, air freespool, motor upgrade etc. I'd been thinking about jumping on the lathe to machine up something to get rid of the freespool lever and add in an extra bearing on the motor drive. Along came Stealth Winches with an Australian designed and manufactured product to do just that.

https://the4wdshed.com/winch/stealth-winches

Original highmount top hat with the at times problematic sliding pinion gear freespool setup. I pinned mine so never had any issues with it jumping ut of gear.

Replacement with an additional bearing on the motor shaft and solid spacers for the pinion gear.

tas80
Been here a while

Unread post by tas80 » November 16th, 2015, 8:10 pm

Few random pics from recent trips

tas80