RIP Uted 100, Hello GU Ute! 100 Series on Issue 166 DVD

Whether it's your first tourer or a hardcore playtruck, show us your vehicle or what you're building inside, and keep us up to date on your mods as they happen!
Aaron Schubert
Need to get out more

Re: RIP Uted 100, Hello GU Ute! 100 Series on Issue 166 DV

Unread post by Aaron Schubert » August 2nd, 2014, 5:25 pm

tas80 wrote:Thanks Aaron.

Got an awesome evening of snow wheeling in last night, 16 vehicles departed from the outskirts of Hobart around 7PM, rolled back home around 2AM this morning :D
Super jealous mate. We don't get that over here!

Aaron
Looking for somewhere to go 4WDing in WA? Check out WA 4WD Tracks

My 80 Series Landcruiser

tas80
Been here a while

Unread post by tas80 » August 8th, 2014, 5:25 pm

Left the Patrol in the hands of ProFab again.

I've been running the water/meth for ages now and it has well and truly proven itself to me, as a temporary measure I'd been using my windscreen washer bottle for the mixture until I was happy with the system, major downside to this was the lack of range.

I left the ute with huge expectations about their work, as usual they've gone well beyond what I'd hoped for :D

I decided to mount the tank between the rollbar and space case on my tray, the space was basically wasted, couldn't fit a 20L jerry can in there as it wasn't wide enough, used to use it to store a 5L jerry can of water/meth mix for topping up, it was the largest container I could fit.

Took the liberty of pinching the next few pics from the ProFab Facebook page.

Chris blazing away on the tank.

Finished product, I requested the sight glass, probably comes down to my seagoing background but I'm used to seeing a sight glass on tanks. I had been hoping to get almost 20L in the tank, I hadn't expected it to be stepped up and over the cross brace on my roll bar, the extra effort they put in has given me a 28L capacity.

In place, paint on my tray is looking pretty shabby, you get that going down tracks half the width of the vehicle though. Tray will need to come off to allow access for some future mods anyway so a general tidy up will happen then.

100 Series: Ute chopped, Locked and Rolled

GU Coil Cab: Work in progress!

My Ute Chopped Hunjy/GU Ute

94 TURBO HILUX
Avid Poster

Unread post by 94 TURBO HILUX » September 7th, 2014, 9:29 pm

Hay mate. Where'd you get those flares from? I got a mate whose going 37s on a 4-5" lift. He's Looking at doing the same thing.

SparkieKev
Been here a while

Unread post by SparkieKev » September 7th, 2014, 11:01 pm

Awesome trol mate. Real quality workmanship
Supercharged 6.5L chev diesel GU wagon build thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=187&t=138695

tas80
Been here a while

Unread post by tas80 » September 14th, 2014, 1:30 am

Thanks Guys :)

94 TURBO HILUX wrote:Hay mate. Where'd you get those flares from? I got a mate whose going 37s on a 4-5" lift. He's Looking at doing the same thing.
Sorry for the delayed response, I don't seem to be getting email notifications of new posts anymore. Got them from DNA Offroad.

http://www.dnaoffroad.com.au/patrol-gu- ... lares.html

94 TURBO HILUX
Avid Poster

Unread post by 94 TURBO HILUX » September 27th, 2014, 7:18 am

Yeah thanks, he got the 37s yesterday and can't even turn full lock. So now he's got to do the flare swap. Have you got radius arm spacers? I think he was looking into that aswell.

tas80
Been here a while

Unread post by tas80 » September 28th, 2014, 9:42 am

I'm running Superflex arms which space the diff forward a bit

tas80
Been here a while

Unread post by tas80 » October 26th, 2014, 2:28 pm

tas80
Been here a while

Unread post by tas80 » November 15th, 2014, 3:51 pm

Not much has been happening on the Patrol lately.

Found myself back here again today. I've used the GT Garage dyno for a power run after each major change on the Patrol. They held a public dyno day today, at $90 to enter it was a cheap way to get in a power run. Removed a shim from the Diesel Central pump to see what difference it made.

Picked up a few KW but it was DIRTY. AFR's pretty much flat throughout the run at 16 with boost around 30-31psi. Shim is back in now, super happy with the existing power anyway, this was more of an experiment. Couple of other 4wd's that entered, Mate's LS2 powered GQ, mafless tune and cam 188kw. 76 series V8 Cruiser with chip and exhaust 132KW aaand a 1L zook, didn't register in 4th gear but got 14KW in 3rd.

I've been keen to learn to tig alloy for a while now, bought a relatively cheap Chinese AC tig and decided stock crates for the trailer would be a good first project.

tas80
Been here a while

Unread post by tas80 » February 13th, 2015, 12:39 pm

Not a whole lot changed since the last update, pretty much just driving it :D

A few pics from recent trips.

Been getting in some fishing too, either car topping or chucking the tinny on the trailer.

Upgraded the front brakes a while back, other than new braided lines the rears weren't touched as the pad still had plenty of meat left, a few beach trips and silty inland access tracks saw that change pretty quickly so chucked a set of slotted rotors and Greenstuff pads on there today.

Fitted up some of the LED lights on my flip up rack in place of the light bar which had blown a couple of LED.

Gryffin01
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Gryffin01 » April 15th, 2015, 6:33 pm

Tas80. This is a seriously nice piece of kit. I've followed the build up with interest and finally got my own 2006 version to play with.
Do you have any probs with valve float at that high boost? and, Which version of Coolingmist controller are you using?

tas80
Been here a while

Unread post by tas80 » May 11th, 2015, 9:59 am

Thanks Mate

Sorry, would have replied earlier but I don't seem to be getting email notifications anymore.

I'm running the Coolingmist CMGS progressive controller with a solenoid.

Haven't had any issues with the boost that it's a running, it's an unopened engine with 330k on the clock, last 30k have been at 180kw. Most likely issue I'll face may be the crank snapping, the billet flywheel I'm running seems to be a common factor in a few snapped cranks. I'll keep driving it until it happens though, then there are billet or stroker crank options to step it up a notch :twisted:

Gryffin01
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Gryffin01 » May 12th, 2015, 6:06 pm

Thanks Tas. That will be on order very shortly.
To be concerned that you're going to split a crank....... That's some torque to do that on these engines. (I just had a re-read of a previous post. 766Nm at the rear wheels which means about 1000 at the flywheel!!)

My colleagues reckon that the biggest issue that I should be worried about big temperatures causing the precombustion chambers to split and then try to mate with the pistons. (F.U.B.A.R.)
I assume that the cooling mist is taking care of that little issue?

Why would the flywheel be the issue? Too light and allowing too much twist?

tas80
Been here a while

Unread post by tas80 » May 12th, 2015, 7:44 pm

Gryffin01

Yep, it's heat that kills them. I've never had any EGT issues though, cruising on 110 on the highway my EGT's don't even register on my gauge which starts at 275, I've never seen EGT's hit 500 on it under any conditions. It boosts early which helps, at full throttle it's hitting 30psi+ by 2000rpm. Haven't had any cooling system issues either, upgraded to an Aussie Desert Cooler early on, most of the time the coolant temperate is steady on 78 degrees where the thermostat opens, it only starts getting warm when the radiator 100% caked with mud and due to come out for a wash again.

I'm running the NPC Viper conversion for my clutch/flywheel. The ute had a new heavy duty clutch when I bought it, didn't even survive the first drive with the new turbo even before the 12mm pump was fitted. Went to overtake someone on the highway, hit peak boost and goodbye clutch! At the time everyone was recommending the NPC Viper setup for high power TD42's. The billet flywheel supplied with it was heavier than standard (they've got it back to standard weight on any new ones they supply now though) there was a number of vehicles snapping cranks at No.6 with this flywheel, also have to bear in mind though that they were all running similar torque to mine so pretty highly stressed. There may be no connection between this flywheel setup and snapped cranks but there are a lot of people suggesting that there is. I'm just going to keep driving mine and it will either stay in one piece or go, I'll deal with it when it happens.

Gryffin01
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Gryffin01 » May 12th, 2015, 8:47 pm

30 pound by 2000 is pretty awsome.
I assume that that turbo is one of Mat's UFI modified turbos? It must be just about boosting right off idle. It must turn heads when you blast off at the traffic light drags.

Just ordered my cooling mist. Cost $770 AUD landed.

Did you go straight to the 12mm plunger pump or did you experiment with the OEM pump first? I wasn't sure, looking at your early posts.

Return to “Members Rides, Buildups, and Projects”