RIP Uted 100, Hello GU Ute! 100 Series on Issue 166 DVD

Whether it's your first tourer or a hardcore playtruck, show us your vehicle or what you're building inside, and keep us up to date on your mods as they happen!
tas80
Been here a while

Re: RIP Uted 100, Hello GU Ute! 100 Series on Issue 166 DV

Unread post by tas80 » February 12th, 2014, 2:00 pm

Got a couple of little jobs done on the Patrol recently.

I've got a couple of winches sitting around ready to be rebuilt and sold on, decided to fit one of the 6HP Warn motors to my high mount which freed up the near new 4.6HP motor on it for one of the other winches.

Given that I already have breathers on the high mount I needed to tap into the new motor end cap for the breather fitting, first up set it up in the mill and milled an area of the heat sink ribs flat ready for the breather fitting.

Skimmed it down on the lathe to remove the majority of the heat sink sleeve, it just ends up packed with mud in underneath anyway. Pretty common mod, Mal Leslie does this on his modded high mounts.

Ended up with this.

Fitted up.

Also fitted up a new light bar, some thieving piece of crap stole my Wurton bar :twisted: Settled on a bar from LED Light Co, they're a vendor on the MudRhino forum and there were plenty of good reports on their customer service. $99 for the new bar, not a match for the Wurton bar but wouldn't expect it to be given the price difference. No point spending up big again on a light bar given how easy they are to steal.
http://www.ledlightco.com.au/
100 Series: Ute chopped, Locked and Rolled

GU Coil Cab: Work in progress!

My Ute Chopped Hunjy/GU Ute

tas80
Been here a while

Unread post by tas80 » February 28th, 2014, 7:25 pm

Been keeping myself busy with a couple of high mount builds. One I've just finished for a mate here.

Haven't posted any trip pics in a while, few randoms below!

tas80
Been here a while

Unread post by tas80 » March 14th, 2014, 6:40 pm

Random trip pics continued:

So, spent today upgrading my already upgraded intake system, back story to this below.

My dyno graph from about 6 months ago, posted it up and asked Matt from UFI for his opinion on general state of tune, while pretty good he had a few suggestions.
Up the boost a couple of psi. Done this, now on the nice even no. of 30psi
Take a little off boost fuel out of it. Will try and get it back on the dyno and see how the chart looks with the new intake.'
And take it for a drive with the airbox lid off and see if I gained boost and boost response and general drivability improved which it did, the fact that the boost peaked and then drifted down relatively early in the rev range suggested air flow was insufficient. This confirmed something I already suspected, the engine just wasn't getting the air it needed from the Patrol Docta airbox it had.
Considering it's been 15 months since I bought the turbo this after sales service is brilliant!

Fatz Fabrications airbox is highly recommended on high powered TD42's, I had a couple of issues though, having upgraded the radiator to a considerably thicker Aussie Desert Cooler and having an ARB dual battery tray nobody was sure whether I'd have room to fit it. Eventually I bit the bullet, ordered it and figured I'd make whatever changes were necessary to get it in.

Airbox in, now have 4" intake from the tip of the snorkel to the turbo inlet as expected response is massively improved and gained a couple of psi boost from thew free flowing intake, had to shift the Fatz box back about 10mm to accommodate my radiator.

Haven't had time to refit the second battery but sat it in there to make sure it would fit, grinder will come out tomorrow to trim a few little corners off the battery tray but all should be good,

tas80
Been here a while

Unread post by tas80 » March 17th, 2014, 5:00 pm

The focus has been on power for a while now, while my brakes have always been adequate (I upgraded to TB48 pads early on which helps) they weren't a match for the upgraded power, very noticeable with my daily driver being a WRX which pull up well from the factory.

Picked up this lot, complete TB48 brake upgrade for the front end, the 4.8 wagons run a larger caliper and provide a big upgrade for the other models brakes.

Ended up going for new slotted rotors as they weren't overly expensive, all lines including the short line to each caliper have been replaced with ADR approved braided lines that ABS Hobart can produce on site. Went for genuine Nissan TB48 brake pads which run a softer compound than the diesel versions.

End result is that it pulls up 100% better!

tas80
Been here a while

Unread post by tas80 » March 26th, 2014, 7:03 pm

Almost forgot to update with the results from the airbox fitment. Driving experience has been hugely improved with the 4" intake so chucked the ute back on the dyno to see where I was at.

I've dropped my methanol usage from a 50% mix last time on the dyno down to 30%, found I had some knocking under very heavy load on road at times while running 50% meth injection. Gained a bit of power, up to 180kw at the rears now, huge gain though was the fact that my AFR's are now so much leaner. I've ended up with a very safe tune, so safe in fact that I plan to get back on the dyno next leave and have a crack at 200RWKW, should be very achievable.

tas80
Been here a while

Unread post by tas80 » May 22nd, 2014, 5:22 pm

I'm 8 weeks into a 12 week stint at work, decided it was time to knock over a job for home.

I seem to have been working on a few high mounts lately both for myself and others.

The drum shaft bushing needs to be fitted exactly 4.8mm inside the lower housing in order for the seal to be effective when fitted, so far I've just been relying on drifting it into place and checking the position using verniers. An hour on the lathe and I've got a tool which will position it perfectly. Few taps with a soft face hammer and job done!

Aaron Schubert
Need to get out more

Unread post by Aaron Schubert » May 22nd, 2014, 5:25 pm

This thing is nuts mate. Love it

Aaron
Looking for somewhere to go 4WDing in WA? Check out WA 4WD Tracks

My 80 Series Landcruiser

tas80
Been here a while

Unread post by tas80 » May 25th, 2014, 4:49 pm

Aaron

Thanks Mate

tas80
Been here a while

Unread post by tas80 » May 25th, 2014, 4:51 pm

Got a couple more jobs done here at work ready for home time in a few weeks.

Tool for drifting main shaft needle bearings into the lower housing in Warn high mounts.

And another batch of bracing rods threaded up on the lathe.

Got a set of sticky treps and secondhand Walkers waiting in the workshop for when I get home too :D

tas80
Been here a while

Unread post by tas80 » June 29th, 2014, 11:36 am

Treps and Walkers went on for a test fit.

Bout a million beadlock bolts done up, backspace issues on the Walkers sorted and a quick test drive on the highway, without a doubt the quietest and smoothest driving wheel/tyre combo I've had in a while, only the slightest hint of a wobble between 40-50km/h, drop em in for a balance tomorrow should sort that. Back on with the roadies now so the trol can play workhorse for the next week or two.

I've got a set of these flares to go on, will allow me to trim the back out of the guards.

tas80
Been here a while

Unread post by tas80 » July 6th, 2014, 4:56 pm

Started fitting up some extended flares to give the dirty sevens a bit more space to turn, not a pleasant job at all, FRP supply no worthwhile fitiing instructions or drilling template, would have been so easy to produce a template!

Factory flares , sit well forward of the door.

Inner guard full of mud.

Some light guard trimming.

New flare in place, will have to pull it off as the supplied rubber strip to go around the edge of the flare came off again after I glued it.

tas80
Been here a while

Unread post by tas80 » July 19th, 2014, 4:13 pm

Flexed up the Patrol to see how the 37's clear, nothing really touching until it's on the bump stops, and quite happily tucks a 37 in the guard, definitely no ramp queen though. Swaybars still fitted front and rear.

Aaron Schubert
Need to get out more

Unread post by Aaron Schubert » July 19th, 2014, 7:03 pm

Tough as mate; gotta be happy with that!

Aaron
Looking for somewhere to go 4WDing in WA? Check out WA 4WD Tracks

My 80 Series Landcruiser

tas80
Been here a while

Unread post by tas80 » August 2nd, 2014, 3:31 pm

Thanks Aaron.

Got an awesome evening of snow wheeling in last night, 16 vehicles departed from the outskirts of Hobart around 7PM, rolled back home around 2AM this morning :D

tas80
Been here a while

Unread post by tas80 » August 2nd, 2014, 3:32 pm

Had 1/2 an hour to waste and an offcut of 12mm polycarb in the workshop so knocked up a clear cover for the Fatz Fabrication airbox, can keep an eye on filter condition with a quick glance now.

Return to “Members Rides, Buildups, and Projects”