RIP Uted 100, Hello GU Ute! 100 Series on Issue 166 DVD

Whether it's your first tourer or a hardcore playtruck, show us your vehicle or what you're building inside, and keep us up to date on your mods as they happen!
tas80
Been here a while

Re: RIP Uted 100, Hello GU Ute! 100 Series on Issue 166 DV

Unread post by tas80 » July 12th, 2013, 5:04 pm

Uted100, my old rig back in the pages of the current 4WD Action mag again!

100 Series: Ute chopped, Locked and Rolled

GU Coil Cab: Work in progress!

My Ute Chopped Hunjy/GU Ute

NDM
Getting to know the place

Unread post by NDM » July 14th, 2013, 6:33 pm

Far out, just read this thread in its entirety. Great work, im very impressed. Having lost a couple of cars that ive spent much blood, sweat and tears building/restoring its great to see you coming back bigger and better after the cruiser. keep it up, hope to bump into you in the AMC car park sometime soon! I dont reckon ill miss your truck!

Sparkys
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Sparkys » July 15th, 2013, 12:18 pm

tas80 wrote:Image
Take a look at those welds! Every bit as good as my snorkel.
Not trying to be a killjoy, but is that exhaust bolted straight to the body with no way of flexing/allowing movement?

tas80
Been here a while

Unread post by tas80 » July 16th, 2013, 9:59 am

It does look that way in the picture, that mount is actually off the engine/gearbox, stainless flex joint and plenty of rubber mounts further along the pipe.

Sparkys
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Sparkys » July 16th, 2013, 5:46 pm

Ah cool, the rest of the exhaust looks awesome so I was surprised to see it look solid mounted, but that makes sense. Wicked car BTW.

tas80
Been here a while

Unread post by tas80 » August 3rd, 2013, 6:53 pm

Went down to Kellevie for a working bee today, some more work done on the track for an obstacle based comp No Limits are holding in September, we've already spent time with an excavator creating the track, it's designed to cater for as wide a range of vehicle as possible, there are chicken tracks around most of the bigger obstacles to allow most mildly modified rigs to have a crack. With most of the hard work done today was a chance to mark out the track and have a drive on it:D

Quick play on part of the track, click on the image to play video.

tas80
Been here a while

Unread post by tas80 » August 17th, 2013, 1:32 pm

Decided to give water/meth injection a try.

After a bit of research a Coolingmist stage 2 Progressive kit found its way onto a plane from the US and arrived on my doorstep a few days later.

Needed somewhere to mount the injector, parted off a section of aluminium in the lathe.

Dropped into Pro Fab to see when they could weld it into my intake pipe. 10 minutes later Chris had the job done.

Using my windscreen washer tank for the moment, drilled through where the second washer pump would mount on a wagon, using a pneumatic bulkhead fitting I pulled it into place using the hose. The water/meth mix is perfect for keeping the windscreen clean too so washers are unaffected.

Tightened up in place with a little sealant round the thread and left full overnight to check for leaks overnight, not a drop escaped.

Sorted out a wiring loom for the gauge/controller. Also added a VDO temp gauge while I was at it.

Pump and solenoid mounted under the bonnet.

tas80
Been here a while

Unread post by tas80 » August 17th, 2013, 1:33 pm

In the cabin, top gauge on the pillar pod is the new temp gauge, bottom is the water/meth controller. At the moment I've set it up to commence injecting at 14psi and progressively increase to full injection at 24psi, will see how it goes. The water pump switch in the bottom righ hand corner of the pic turns power on/off to the system.

First test drive last night was interesting to put it mildly, first full throttle application with the system on resulted in a huge bang and instant loss of power :eek: pulled over fearing the worst to find 26 psi of boost had blown an intercooler hose off, quick tighten of the clamps and I was back on the road. Today I gave it a quick run up the hill out the back of Bagdad on the Midlands Highway, first couple of runs maintaining 110 from bottom to top with the water meth off saw EGT's peak at 375-400 post turbo. Second couple of runs with it on they were closer to 325.

tas80
Been here a while

Unread post by tas80 » August 21st, 2013, 4:51 pm

Results are in!!

Driving with the water meth on it's immediately obvious that the turbo is spooling up earlier, did a quick run to Launceston and back yesterday and it felt more powerful on the hills and EGT's were considerably lower (50-75 degrees).

Today it went back on the dyno.

Looks a bit out of place towering over the other cars.

Click on the picture for video, not really much to see there but it makes the appropriate noises!

First run on the dyno a few months back saw it put out 167KW and 706nm at the rears.

Baseline today with water meth off gave me 163KW and 698nm, small difference between today's baseline run and the previous 167KW is not a concern, I've made a few changes to intake, exhaust, injectors and was also running muddies on the dyno today rather than the all terrains it had on last time. A massive difference would have had me worried about engine damage.

Water meth gave me 173.5KW and 758.3nm at the wheels, baseline today was 163.1KW and 697.8KW an increase of 10.4KW and 60.5nm , might not sound like much but with power and torque coming on earlier the increase in driveability is awesome. Blue line is the baseline run, red is with water/meth.

Lastly the graphs also reflect boost coming on earlier with water meth, AFR's are also leaner, this corresponds well with the driving experience which indicated it boosted earlier with reduced EGT's. Nick who operated the dyno also mentioned that the very small gaps between the two runs on the graphs really doesn't reflect the large difference in drivebility, this certainly tallies with my experience.

tas80
Been here a while

Unread post by tas80 » August 23rd, 2013, 2:30 pm

Better quality video of the dyno run, thanks to the guys at GT Garage for posting this one up, need a Facebook account to see it.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=58 ... =2&theater

tas80
Been here a while

Unread post by tas80 » November 21st, 2013, 12:12 pm

Been a while between updates and not a huge amount has changed on the Patrol.

The cold rattle from the engine has been getting worse lately and I started to suspect crack pressures may have been drifting down on one or more of my injectors, I did have them set to 150 bar locally when the DC pump was fitted. Quick call to Swaffie saw a set of his DC6 injectors matched to my pump on their way to Tassie. These were fitted yesterday and have made a huge difference, rattle is 90% less severe now and clears up a lot quicker as the engine warms up.

That picture pretty much sums up the last 3-4 weeks for the Patrol, been landscaping out the back of my place so it's been seeing 4-5 trips per day to the tip and landscape supplies joint while I put in a retaining wall, towing 1.5 ton most of the time, barely even notice it's there now with the power upgrades!

Chucked a new set of rubber on a couple of months back, very limited choice in the size I'm engineered for 295/75R16 they were the biggest NCOP allows and sit slightly taller than 305/70's. Pretty impressed with them so far,

Also fitted a small water tank in front of the passenger rear wheel, nice to be able to give the hands a wash after a recovery or unloading the trailer.

I've gradually been getting my head around CNC milling, had a crack a while back at making a surround for Carlingswitches, turned out well. (Click the image for video)

tas80
Been here a while

Unread post by tas80 » November 27th, 2013, 5:37 pm

The lack of power windows in the Patrol has kinda been getting on my nerves, I like to have some airflow in the cab and even for a tall guy the passenger side winder is a fair reach, I had two options to fix it, one of the generic kits of Ebay or replace the entire mechanisms and door skins with genuine items.

With a wagon being wrecked in Deloraine and the owner willing to separate the door skins, electric window mechanisms and entire door wiring loom I shot up there today and grabbed the parts.

This is what I came back with, unfortunately the DX Patrol doesn't have the wiring loom for this setup to plug into, no worries, 15 minutes with the wiring diagrams from the factory service manual and I had the whole lot jury rigged on the workbench and operational. I could then get the wiring loom down to about 6 wires per side and install.

Finished product :D

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » November 27th, 2013, 5:49 pm

Jeez, I spent a lot longer than just one day taking the elec windows out of one of our GQ's!! :eek:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

BigDutchy
Need to get out more

Unread post by BigDutchy » November 27th, 2013, 6:41 pm

That looks great and will confuse some as you have 4 window switches and only 2 windows.....
Job well done.
And how great are the GU door cards!! The amount of stuff I have sitting in my door cards is just silly!
I have always a big size container with pump sun screen in the passenger door. other door has a first aid kit torch etc etc

Cheers

tas80
Been here a while

Unread post by tas80 » November 27th, 2013, 7:13 pm

Thanks Guys
Peter Aawen wrote:Jeez, I spent a lot longer than just one day taking the elec windows out of one of our GQ's!! :eek:
lol, I work fast, 400km round trip to get them and fitted up in a day, just need to wire in the power tommorrow.
BigDutchy wrote:That looks great and will confuse some as you have 4 window switches and only 2 windows.....
Job well done.
And how great are the GU door cards!! The amount of stuff I have sitting in my door cards is just silly!
I have always a big size container with pump sun screen in the passenger door. other door has a first aid kit torch etc etc

Cheers
Not wrong Mate, you can certainly squeeze some gear in there. Would have liked the window controller from a ute but the wagon one came up at the right price so jumped on it.

Return to “Members Rides, Buildups, and Projects”