RIP Uted 100, Hello GU Ute! 100 Series on Issue 166 DVD

Whether it's your first tourer or a hardcore playtruck, show us your vehicle or what you're building inside, and keep us up to date on your mods as they happen!
tas80
Been here a while

RIP Uted 100, Hello GU Ute! 100 Series on Issue 166 DVD

Unread post by tas80 » November 18th, 2009, 6:37 pm

Well I've been lurking on here for long enough, time to post up a few pics and a bit of a progress report on my rig, will copy a few posts from another forum where I've got a bit of a build-up thread going. The 100 series is my third 4wd I've built up, learnt from my mistakes on the previous 2 and hopefully build this into something that will last me for many years. Heres a couple of pics of my previous rides!

86 Model TD Rocky I built up from stock over about 5 years.

3FE powered 80 series...a bit of a mistake!!!

I've been thinking about a change of vehicle for a while now, while the 80 has been great I have kind of missed the simplicity of working on a diesel along with the uncluttered engine bay + no water worries offroad!!!
I'd had my eye on this 100 series for a few years and with the owner recently putting it up for sale negotiated on the price and picked it up about a month ago.
Mods include:
1 HZ with Safari turbo and front mount intercooler
TJM Snorkel
Custom alloy bar bullbar
IPF lights
OME suspension.
33" BFG All Terrains
And obviously a ute chop :D
Lots more mods to come!!!!
Last edited by tas80 on June 29th, 2011, 8:16 pm, edited 4 times in total.
100 Series: Ute chopped, Locked and Rolled

GU Coil Cab: Work in progress!

My Ute Chopped Hunjy/GU Ute

tas80
Been here a while

Unread post by tas80 » November 18th, 2009, 6:38 pm

I fitted up a boost gauge this arvo, once I fit a pyro willl be able to keep a pretty close eye on what the engines doing.
Airline run in the engine bay, cable tied it to the breather line going to the catch can.

Gauge all mounted up on the pillar, went for the 0-15psi range as there was no need for anything higher for the 1HZ.
Went out for a quick run to see what sort of boost it was running.
Most of the time the turbo was only just on boost, a few runs up a couple of hills on the highway saw about 5-6psi maintaining speed and a full throttle run up a hill at highway speeds saw a peak of about 8-9psi. Will be interested to see what the EGT's are like when I fit up the pyro but not anticipating any problems.

tas80
Been here a while

Unread post by tas80 » November 18th, 2009, 6:39 pm

Also fitted up the UHF, stereo, speakers and antennas from the 80, the standard double DIN head unit had to go to make room for the UHF. the pics pretty much tell the story.
The finished product.
Speaker install, midrange is in the factory location, tweeters mounted high, got a bit slack and put the crossovers in the map pockets with double sided tape for now, never seem to use the map pockets anyway!
Will see how I go for time over the weekend but might change the suspension over, make some room for bigger rubber, will most likely continue to run the current wheels onroad and get a set of play tyres.

tas80
Been here a while

Unread post by tas80 » November 18th, 2009, 6:41 pm

Well I'm back at work on the ship now till christmas :(
Just been ordering a few bits and pieces so I can get the ute lifted and track ready reasonably quickly after I get home.
Snake racing re-opend yesterday so my brake lines will be on their way, this was all that stopped me from changing the suspension over while I was home, couldn't use the extended lines off the 80 series as the 100 has ABS.
Starting to think about what to do as far as the barwork goes, will weld up my own sliders next leave and have been on the net looking at picture of tube trays people have been building to get a few ideas. I was going to make a tube style winch bar myself but with the cruiser having airbags this wasn't an option, was thinking I'd have to go for an ARB bar again until I came across some tube style bars which are airbag compatible :D Just odered one this arvo, even with freight from Mackay its still cheaper than retail price on the ARB bar anyway, hopefully will be sitting at home when I get back!
This is what the new bar looks like, mine will be black though.

Oznut
Need to get out more

Unread post by Oznut » November 18th, 2009, 7:30 pm

Geez mate, tough looking 100 Ute you've got there. Where abouts in Tas are you?
Hilux/Surf/4Runner Meet Info
[url=https://www.facebook.com/TheAnnualHiluxMeet]TheAnnualHiluxMeet[/url]

Twin locked Lux, tyres, lift and a whole lotta right boot.

EFIwindsor
Avid Poster

Unread post by EFIwindsor » November 18th, 2009, 7:59 pm

Nice ute. I'd love a dual cab conversion one day. I know it'll probably never happen but it's nice to dream.

Could you please put up the contact details for the tube bar place. I'd love one for mine since they are air bag compatible.

Cheers
Ben
HZJ105, GT2860, FMIC, H151 conversion, pro locker and a custom made camper.

http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=77441&start=125

tas80
Been here a while

Unread post by tas80 » November 18th, 2009, 8:08 pm

Thanks for the comments guys, I live in Austins Ferry about 10 minutes out of Hobart.

As for the bar I got it through Opposite Lock in Mackay, I think there might be a thread on here somewhere about them, the wings are bolt on, I work on a ship and am actually in Mackay at the moment, went up the road today and had a look at the bar (or one for a gu patrol) and was very impressed with the quality. They are made by outback bars.

Should get back to Tassie around Christmas time to fit up the bar and weld myself up a set of sliders plus all the other jobs that need doing...can't wait!!!

tas80
Been here a while

Unread post by tas80 » November 18th, 2009, 8:09 pm

Oznut
Need to get out more

Unread post by Oznut » November 18th, 2009, 8:11 pm

I know that area well as I spent a bit of time down there a few years ago. Mt cousin has a 100 series out at Samford and spends a lot of time trekking about the place. Again, top rig mate, really nice gear.
Hilux/Surf/4Runner Meet Info
[url=https://www.facebook.com/TheAnnualHiluxMeet]TheAnnualHiluxMeet[/url]

Twin locked Lux, tyres, lift and a whole lotta right boot.

vSAHARAx
Been here a while

Unread post by vSAHARAx » November 18th, 2009, 10:01 pm

Hot lookin ute you have there!!! Must be a real head turner! There's bugger all cut 100's around!
[align=center][font=Trebuchet MS][color=black][b][u]91 HDJ80, Pride And Joy![/u][/b][/color][/font][/align]
[align=center][font=Trebuchet MS][color=black][b][u]07, BF MkII Rip-Curl XR6 Turbo Ute[/u][/b][/color][/font][/align]
[align=center][font=Trebuchet

THE RIG
Need to get out more

Unread post by THE RIG » November 19th, 2009, 3:48 pm

awesome choice of 4wd,especially with the cut,ive seen plenty of dualcab 100s, a friend has one,and only seen 1 singlecab cut local to me. i like your choice of bar. how does the auto go?

tom
Fat Green Turtle - GU TD42T

tas80
Been here a while

Unread post by tas80 » November 19th, 2009, 5:13 pm

THE RIG wrote:awesome choice of 4wd,especially with the cut,ive seen plenty of dualcab 100s, a friend has one,and only seen 1 singlecab cut local to me. i like your choice of bar. how does the auto go?

tom

Thanks mate, a manual would have been my first choice but I'm actually really happy with the auto, the 80 series was also auto and its great offroad, pretty much just point it in the right direction and give it a bit, no rushed gear changes halfway through a hole!!! The auto and turbo diesel do seem to work really well together, once the turbo is on boost it seems to doesn't drop off on the gear changes as much as you would get with a manual makes for a very nice drive around town, certainly no trouble with keeping up with traffic, a few hundred kilos of missing bodywork probably helps here too.

Aaron Schubert
Need to get out more

Unread post by Aaron Schubert » November 19th, 2009, 5:54 pm

Very cool, not often you see a car like this. Looking forward to seeing some future mods!

Aaron
Looking for somewhere to go 4WDing in WA? Check out WA 4WD Tracks

My 80 Series Landcruiser

tas80
Been here a while

Unread post by tas80 » December 23rd, 2009, 6:37 pm

Made a bit of progress today, brake lines have been fitted so its ready to be lifted now, just a matter of getting my act together and changing the gear over.
Tube winch bar was waiting for me when I got home, a bit like a big mecanno set really, wings are removable and mounts also have to be removable for the airbag compatibility. Very impressed with the build quality. :D

TazMAV
Avid Poster

Unread post by TazMAV » December 23rd, 2009, 10:20 pm

Me thinks it is time for some mud it looks too clean.

Return to “Members Rides, Buildups, and Projects”