View topic - GQ Patrol Petrol Engine Upgrade

GQ Patrol Petrol Engine Upgrade

Whether it's your first tourer or a hardcore playtruck, show us your vehicle or what you're building inside, and keep us up to date on your mods as they happen!
Here and there

GQ Patrol Petrol Engine Upgrade

I have a LWB GQ with a stock 4.2l Petrol TB42 engine. The motor has a big reputation as being a slug and most people rip it out and install a V8.
I wanted to find some extra power but on a tight budget I couldn’t see the point of spending money on an engineer or fitting a V8 then having to pay a higher premium on insurance. This seemed to me to be money wasted as it didn’t contribute to horsepower.
So I read lots of forums and asked lots of questions and this is what I came up with. I already have total LPG and that will stay. The plan is to make a hybrid TB45/TB42 engine. The block will be TB42 so I don’t have any rego/engineering problems. The top end will be all TB45. My TB42 engine is currently running fine and I still drive the car.
First job was to get a TB45 engine. I kept an eye out for several months and I found one cheap with a blown head gasket and 280,000km on it. Engine still ran fine and used a little bit of water but owner ripped it out and replaced with another engine.

I then found a TB42 engine that the owner ripped out to replace with 308 V8. The engine still in good running order with 187,000KM.
I pulled off the TB45 intake manifold and plugged the injector holes as I will use total LPG. I used a short length of 1inch bar and cut off “coin” sections. I then bought a XF falcon throttle body and cut the flange plate off. I then made my own flange plate using 6mm aluminium. I don’t have a TIG welder so I got a mate to weld this up for me. I had to port match the XF throttle body the TB45 manifold as the manifold had a smaller hole. I modified the cable linkage and idle stop. I bought some 20mm aluminium bar and turned it down on the lathe to plug the vacuum pickups on the throttle body.

Plugged up the fuel injection system as I am going to use total LPG

Made a new base plate flange for the XF TB and had it welded on.

Just waiting on a bit more coin so I can continue the journey . . .

Unread postby create » November 6th, 2009, 1:41 pm

Here and there

I got my head back from the engine shop yesterday. It now has new valves, valve stem seals, valve guides and valve seats. I had the head shaved to up the compression ratio to 11:1. This should work really nicely with gas. I also had it chemically cleaned and the ports tidied up a little bit. I couldnt afford to get it flow benched - im not racing the engine anyway.
All up it cost me $1100.
Next I need to send the TB42 block off to get it bored out to fit the TB45 pistons.:):)

Unread postby create » November 7th, 2009, 8:11 pm

Banned

Cool build up, keep it coming.

Dave.

Unread postby Dave_STR » November 16th, 2009, 3:51 pm

Getting to know the place

Hello create, Just wondering why you went with a XF Throttle body ? Also what brand gas kit do you have.
I'm very interested on how this turns out.

Cheers Willie

Unread postby willie10 » January 10th, 2010, 8:48 am

Been here a while

How the engine build going.
LIVE LIFE TO THE FULL

Unread postby DRTYBOY » January 10th, 2010, 2:02 pm

Part of the furniture

Any updates on this one???
1991 Dual Cab Hilux 2.8 Red Rocket

Unread postby 4bdan » February 2nd, 2010, 8:25 am

Here and there

willie10 wrote:Hello create, Just wondering why you went with a XF Throttle body ? Also what brand gas kit do you have.
I'm very interested on how this turns out.

Cheers Willie

Willie - sorry I have taken so long to reply. I used the XF throttle body as the Patrol one was missing from the manifold when I bought it. Sourcing one was too hard. I then did a bit of surfing and I found that most people use the XF as it is bullet proof and easy to mod. It also has good flow.
I am using a Impco "L" convertor and Impco 425 mixer.

Unread postby create » February 2nd, 2010, 1:24 pm

Here and there

I went out wheeling just before xmas and cooked my TB42 engine in the heat. I dont think I cracked the head but it was a good excuse to change anyway. My radiator was clagged and I was pushing too hard.
This forced me to change the engine fast. I ended up putting the TB45 head on a standard TB42 block just to get the GQ running again.
I am using a TB45 stainless steel head gasket.
The engine has been in since boxing day and I have done a short trip down to Jindabyne and Mt Pinnibar. The engine is awesome. It has much better torque and power. I found I can 4wheel one gear higher than before. So a hill in 2nd low I can no do in 3rd low. The engine braking is better too it doesnt run away on a hill so much.
I have a small oil leak at the front of the head where it overlaps the timing cover. I'm not pulling the head back off to fix it. A bit of silicone will have to do for now.
I will post a pic or two when I get home tonight.

Unread postby create » February 2nd, 2010, 1:33 pm

Here and there

More pics from today

Unread postby create » February 2nd, 2010, 3:41 pm

Getting to know the place

Looks great

The engine looks great & by the sound of it you have created a more powerful hybrid Nissan motor.

Are you going to run some upper cylinder lube ?

I have all the components almost ready to convert my GU TB45 to straight gas using a Gas Research carby & converter with a distributor from a TB42. Hopefully will be able to start stripping the fuel system & computer etc this weekend and maybee start a build thread. Cheers Willie

Unread postby willie10 » February 4th, 2010, 8:28 pm

Here and there

There is a lot of debate about upper cylinder lubricant if it works on not. I figure that with hardened seats and valves I shouldnt need it.
If you fit a TB42 distributor to a TB45 engine you need to cut the spiggot off the bottom then it goes straight in.
The engine is running well, I would love to get it dyno tuned.
I am now planning to fit the TB45 bottom end. I am in the process of building it up. I will get it dynoed then. I will post pictures as I go.

Unread postby create » February 4th, 2010, 8:41 pm

I'm new, be nice!

Just on the upper cyl lube, i have a tb42 efi that i have run straight gas on for about 400000k's and have had no problems with the motor which has just clicked over 500000k's

Unread postby Rastuss » July 3rd, 2010, 3:18 pm

Been here a while

Rastuss wrote:Just on the upper cyl lube, i have a tb42 efi that i have run straight gas on for about 400000k's and have had no problems with the motor which has just clicked over 500000k's

Is that with or without upper cylinder lube?

Tony

Unread postby YNOT » July 3rd, 2010, 3:25 pm

I'm new, be nice!

YNOT wrote:Is that with or without upper cylinder lube?

Tony

No lube just straight gas,late modal jap motors mostly handle gas without any help

Unread postby Rastuss » July 11th, 2010, 11:05 am

Here and there

Its been a long time since I've posted.
I've now got the engine running well. Its taken a bit of work to fix ignition gremlins and dizzy problems. I had the dizzy regraphed for total lpg. They lightened the bob weight springs to get advance sooner. The bob weights have been limited to half advance also. Vacuum advance has been removed. I replaced all spark plugs and ignition leads as the engine was breaking down under load.
I was due for rego so I went through the process of getting the engine changed on the rego papers with the RTA. I had to get a blue slip done for the engine change and also a pink slip for registration renewal. The engine passed first go with no problems. As the engine mounts were the same and I had previously upgraded to a disc brake rear end the engineer was happy.

Here's a couple of pics.

Unread postby create » August 10th, 2010, 6:58 pm

Next

Return to Members Rides, Buildups, and Projects