middy strength-bj73

Whether it's your first tourer or a hardcore playtruck, show us your vehicle or what you're building inside, and keep us up to date on your mods as they happen!
sprungupcruiser
Been here a while

Re: middy strength-bj73

Unread post by sprungupcruiser » June 26th, 2015, 6:12 pm

Haha, he sure does Pete. Thanks mate.

sprungupcruiser
Been here a while

Unread post by sprungupcruiser » July 11th, 2015, 10:45 pm

G'day guys, got a couple of little things sorted out recently. I've welded on some tabs for the belly plate and added some tube for sump skid plate, added some braces to the lower link mounts back to the chassis I didn't get photos of that stuff but can if anyone wants to have a look at it.

I've got the fuel filler sorted. The tank end is just the original cap with some alloy pipe welded to take 2" hose and the fill end is a boat fuel filler with the key welded in for ease of opening.

I have also got the coolers mounted. On the left is the steering cooler on the right is the tranny cooler, it's a cooler for an agitator off a concrete truck.

sprungupcruiser
Been here a while

Unread post by sprungupcruiser » October 13th, 2015, 9:14 pm

Progress has been a bit interrupted lately with projects on the house, mainly the back deck. I've still been able to knock over the jobs needed to get it to the stage of pulling it all apart for final weld.

CNC brake master cylinder mounted

Front and rear recovery points. Laser cut from 10mm plate.

Alloy rear quarters finished off by my mate Brett.

[urlj=http://s296.photobucket.com/user/sprung ... .jpeg.html]Image[/url]

Additional roof bracing to meet CAMS specs

LED light ar and HID spotlights mounted

This is how it sits at the moment. The cage is all welded and just needs tidying up then I will move onto removing the cab and finish welding out the chassis. I just have to finish the deck first....

outbackNav
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by outbackNav » October 16th, 2015, 9:15 pm

What an awesome build. I've read through every page in the last few days.

Cheers for sharing, looking forward to seeing your progress from this point.

sprungupcruiser
Been here a while

Unread post by sprungupcruiser » October 16th, 2015, 10:54 pm

Thanks mate

sprungupcruiser
Been here a while

Unread post by sprungupcruiser » January 6th, 2016, 2:48 pm

The deck is all done! Only a few trims to add around the post and I'll be happy, I will get around to that eventually. The wall with the fiber cement sheeting will be home to a water closet and a laundry cupboard in the not too distant future. The other wall will have some sort of buffet table and BBQ on it. I've been enjoying watching the cricket out there since its been done and it catches the breeze quite nicely.

I will re-level the ground to bring it up to the top of the unpainted pine rail. It help reduce the height of the step and give me some nice new soil to get some turf down on.

As you can probably guess the car hasn't seen as much attention as I would have liked but I still manged to squeeze a few days work on it over the last couple of months.

This is how it is sitting at the moment, almost everything is welded up. I got about 30 minutes into welding today and ran out of gas so I will have to wait until more gets delivered tomorrow.

Before Christmas I managed to get around to modifying my Artec high steering arms.They were going to rub on the tyre when going into corners so it was either this or get different arm or different wheels.

I also had to make this contraption. With the size of the deck it made it too difficult to back the trailer into its spot beside the shed, so I made this as the alternative. It uses a 4000lb atv winch and some sprockets I got from the motorbike wrecker. It works well but it is damn slow and the solid rubber tyres are already buggered. I'm thinking some larger tyres and wheels of a little quad should do the trick.

BigDutchy
Need to get out more

Unread post by BigDutchy » January 7th, 2016, 6:24 pm

Yep, it need a lift and bigger tyres for sure.....haha well built mate

sprungupcruiser
Been here a while

Unread post by sprungupcruiser » January 7th, 2016, 7:54 pm

Cheers mate!

sprungupcruiser
Been here a while

Unread post by sprungupcruiser » February 3rd, 2016, 9:33 am

G'day guys, I've been going at the truck flat stick the last few weeks and have made some good progress. Here's some updates!

I'm lucky enough to have a work mate who has a Sugar cane farm only 30 minutes from my place, he has his own sandblasting and painting gear that he was happy for me to use. For the cost of a couple of cartons of beer and a lot of sweat the chassis, roll cage, tub and a few other bits and pieces have all been blasted and primed, I also managed to get some top coat on the chassis.

I needed to sort out a good solid rear diff cover that would tie into the truss to help support it. Nothing is readily available in Australia, so I designed it myself and had it cut out up the road.

Added a filler/inspection bung, supplied by Dave at Design Fab

Bit of a hint towards what colour the car will end up being.

So this is where it's at right now. Engine, tranny and transfer are all mounted back up for the final time hopefully.

We only really hit one issue when fitting up the drivetrain and that was with the torque converter mating up to the LS1. I was under the impression that I had been supplied a torque converter design to go from the th400 directly to the LS, turns out not to be the case. The snout on the TC was too short to get anywhere near the crank so I made a bush to adapt that, it took a few goes but got a good snug fit in the end which I'm happy with.

Then there was a 9mm (3/8") gap between the flex plate and the torque converter, so we made up some spacers out of 5mm flat bar, giving 4mm off the oil pump to allow the torque converter to expand with heat. Finally when it came time to bolt the two together the holes were out by a bees dick. Not wanting to pull it all apart again I decided to elongate the holes on the flex plate by removing the sump and accessing it in situ.

So today I should be preparing panels and doors for paint, but Im being held up by KOH qualifying, it's not all bad.

sprungupcruiser
Been here a while

Unread post by sprungupcruiser » April 12th, 2016, 7:42 am

Things have been going full steam ahead in the workshop lately. The cab is back on, the roll cage is in and its all been tied together and back into the chassis. Here's a few pics.

Cage ties in to the chassis and to the sliders and cage pads

Cab and cage painted, the firewall, underpan and footwell are all coated in a stone guard paint. Just trying to decided on the finish for the alloy infill panels, I'm thinking polished alloy or gloss black. Thoughts?

Parts all starting to go back into the car. Good times!

sprungupcruiser
Been here a while

Unread post by sprungupcruiser » April 12th, 2016, 8:00 am

Update time! I'll get right into the pictures and let them tell the story.

Ive got the engine accessories and idlers sorted. I made the pulleys on the lathe at home from alloy and I also added a pre-tensioner pulley between the steering pump and the 12v alternator. The 24v alternator is off a Scania truck.

Cut out the holes in the bonnet to let some shocks through.

sprungupcruiser
Been here a while

Unread post by sprungupcruiser » April 12th, 2016, 8:01 am

Lights installed

All the panels are now painted but wont be going on until last.

Wing mirrors

Billet switch panel to hold the important switches in the center console (front locker, wipers/washer, horn and winch in/out)

The flash roof scoop.

monkeybucket
Part of the furniture

Unread post by monkeybucket » April 12th, 2016, 5:54 pm

What a bloody rig...mad build...keen to see it getting dirty... :thumb: :thumb: :drink:
Cheers
Chris.

Off road when I'm good...in the shed when I'm naughty.

South West All Terrain ... www.swat4x4.com

sprungupcruiser
Been here a while

Unread post by sprungupcruiser » April 12th, 2016, 6:14 pm

Thanks mate, I'm pretty keen too.

sprungupcruiser
Been here a while

Unread post by sprungupcruiser » May 1st, 2017, 1:45 pm

G'day guys, long time no post as usual but plenty to update. The 'Cruiser is nearly ready to go, currently waiting on springs and triple bypass shocks then fix a few little things and we should be good to go for testing. Drive shafts proved to be the biggest issue due to operating angle and the room available in the front so there was a fair bit of waiting for them while it was all figured out. So the car is all working now, drives under its own steam, just waiting for parts!

Fuel surge tank

Had to have custom rear hubs made to match the width on the front

Quite tight in there, the front shaft had to be downsized to 2.5" because it hit the upper link mount at full compression, it now clears by about 2mm.

Return to “Members Rides, Buildups, and Projects”