middy strength-bj73

Whether it's your first tourer or a hardcore playtruck, show us your vehicle or what you're building inside, and keep us up to date on your mods as they happen!
sprungupcruiser
Been here a while

Re: middy strength-bj73

Unread post by sprungupcruiser » May 3rd, 2014, 8:45 pm

I was ready a copy of that today actually, it had been copy and pasted to rock racing 4x4. What I gathered from reading the bit on fine tuning link lengths was it would be more of a problem in the rear, I doubt I'll notice in the front.

94 TURBO HILUX
Avid Poster

Unread post by 94 TURBO HILUX » May 3rd, 2014, 9:42 pm

Yep. I've heard a bit of mixed ideas on that. I've never done a front myself so I couldn't say what easier to dial in. I would of thought front would of been harder, with steering and all if you still use a power steering box. Hydro would make it easy.

sprungupcruiser
Been here a while

Unread post by sprungupcruiser » May 3rd, 2014, 9:54 pm

Yeah it definitely harder to do the front, you can't use a steering box with triangulated 4 link due to the way it moves articulation. The link lengths being close will mean that the anti squat and instant center will change more during wheel travel.

sprungupcruiser
Been here a while

Unread post by sprungupcruiser » May 4th, 2014, 4:55 pm

I decided to redo the steering setup. I originally had it out on the chassis due to the way I read the rules in one of the rule books I'm building to. But after rereading and reconsidering it I believe doing it the way I have done now still complies.

I cut down the original steering column and turned the shaft down in the lathe so the coupling would be centered on the shaft.

I wanted as short as possible so the orbital valve would fit in the cab

I used the firewall bolt holes from the original steering column bracket and fabbed up a bracket to support the orbital valve.

sprungupcruiser
Been here a while

Unread post by sprungupcruiser » July 11th, 2014, 10:27 am

Ok guys, I'm back from my honeymoon and have been straight back into work on the cruiser. I set my self a goal last week of knocking over all of the little jobs that I had been putting off and I managed to get them all done. Most of them aren't sexy photo worthy jobs but needed to be done none the less.
Jobs done this week:
-Lift the Engine and Auto 1'' ( this was to allow for more room between headers and upper link on left hand side.)
- Change the roof brace setup (allow for more head room on drivers side, I'm 6'3" and the co-driver is 5'9 if that.
-Tabs for the rear sheet
-Extra support for the 'B' pillar pad
-Shut the cab
-Transfer case support mount
-Harness tabs
-Cage gussets

I borrowed a mates engine crane for the install but it wasn't here, so I improvised a crane for the engine/tranny lift.

Same style of chassis mounts, I think I will weld a plate vertically on the outside of the mounts to give extra support to the mounts. To lift the auto I just got some 1"x 1" bar and drilled it to use as a spacer.

Re-jigged the roof brace for head room on the right side(drivers side)

Rear of cab enclosed, the plan is to use a piece of aluminium to go across the back of the cab to make the fire wall. This will be fixed onto the cab using nutserts.

Here is my solution for the transfer case support mount, obviously needs some more welding but I will do that off the car. It uses the same bushes as the rest of the mounts. The plate is 6mm and bolted to the case with 6 of the bolts on the bottom of the case. I contemplated using a support mount that clamped to the rear output housing but after seeing the cradle mount that Advanced Adapters sell and reading that they do not recommend supporting the case by the out put housing led me to this idea.
Last edited by sprungupcruiser on July 11th, 2014, 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

sprungupcruiser
Been here a while

Unread post by sprungupcruiser » July 11th, 2014, 10:38 am

Here are the cage gussets, 3mm steel and dimples for extra race speed.

Thanks for watching. Rob
[font=Impact][size=200][/size][/font]

sprungupcruiser
Been here a while

Unread post by sprungupcruiser » July 27th, 2014, 8:22 pm

I drew up some shock mounts and tabs early last week and they were ready by Friday so I mucked around with shock placement over the weekend. I will add some extra gusset to the front side of the axle shock mount. I am building it around 18" kings so have mounts spaced at 1.25".

sprungupcruiser
Been here a while

Unread post by sprungupcruiser » January 18th, 2015, 3:18 pm

Sorry for the long time between post guys, have had dramas with suppliers of the links and rods ends but I am full steam ahead now.

Finally got to test the flex and made sure everything cleared, after a few adjustments it was fine.

Rear bumps

Fronts bumps involved a bit more thought and effort.

sway bar at full bump

sprungupcruiser
Been here a while

Unread post by sprungupcruiser » January 18th, 2015, 3:19 pm

sway bar axle mount

sway bar chassis mounted on top for clearance

Fuel tank mounted, I will use 70mmx3mm flat bar with dimples and folded over so it will bolt down to the angle iron front and back.

BigDutchy
Need to get out more

Unread post by BigDutchy » January 18th, 2015, 7:40 pm

Great built mate, did I notice some flex in one of the photo's? :lol:

sprungupcruiser
Been here a while

Unread post by sprungupcruiser » January 18th, 2015, 7:57 pm

Thanks mate, there's a little bit of flex there but you'd expect that with 18" shocks. Haha

sprungupcruiser
Been here a while

Unread post by sprungupcruiser » June 26th, 2015, 4:16 pm

Sorry for the long time between updates guys, I have been slack with the forums. Here are some updates but if you want more regular photo updates then add me facebook here https://www.facebook.com/robert.sullivan.96387. Hopefully none of you are weird fuckers.

Radiator support mount.

Winch mount

sprungupcruiser
Been here a while

Unread post by sprungupcruiser » June 26th, 2015, 4:17 pm

Front end bar and body bits coming together

sprungupcruiser
Been here a while

Unread post by sprungupcruiser » June 26th, 2015, 4:19 pm

Rear tube and body work. I have actually chopped the tube guards and brought them in 2" so they don't stick out so far.

PSC 1200 series pump to LS1, the plate was machined for me by a mate of mine, goes by 80Gus on here. He goes alright.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » June 26th, 2015, 5:38 pm

That 80Gus bloke does some good work, doesn't he?! :thumb:

Come to that, you've done some pretty good work here too, sprungup!! Moving it along nicely & looking closer to finished with every update, looking forwards to seeing it on the tracks! :thumb:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Return to “Members Rides, Buildups, and Projects”