middy strength-bj73

Whether it's your first tourer or a hardcore playtruck, show us your vehicle or what you're building inside, and keep us up to date on your mods as they happen!
sprungupcruiser
Been here a while

Re: middy strength-bj73

Unread post by sprungupcruiser » September 12th, 2013, 8:08 pm

Not much progress on the actual vehicle, I've been waiting for the front axle and tyres and wheels to turn up. I got the axle home today and it is fecking huge, I think I'm in lurve. While I've been waiting I've had a chance to make some tools to make the job easier.

We've had a cheap eBay notcher that's done the job for quite a while but the bush that the shaft spins on was flogged out some pilfered the mount of it and made up a plate so it would sit in the lathe, it's adjustable to allow for different diameter tubes.

I made that tool so I could make these chassis stands with the primary purpose of setting the chassis up dead level at full bump to make fabricating the linked suspension easier.

And here's another one of the axle/ my new love, it's hard to imagine how big this thing is until you see it in the flesh, it's about 8" wider than my current diffs.

sprungupcruiser
Been here a while

Unread post by sprungupcruiser » November 2nd, 2013, 9:06 pm

I've got a few things done lately which has been good, here is some updates and photos.

Had my mate Brett give me a hand and we got the extractors all done, Brett did the hard bit of making it all work and I went through and tigged them all up.

I got the engine mounts made and installed. This was the second design for the engine mount so it lifted the engine 50mm and gave me plenty of room for the upper links.

Wheels and tires turned up and the axles are mocked up under the chassis at full bump. This should give me a belly height of 550m which after tire size increase is taken into account is about a 2'' suspension lift.

Christmas has come early this year! heaps of parts have arrived from the states, Reid Racing inner C's, cnc cutting brakes, dana 70 chromo axles, PSC parts and other bits
Dana 70 detroit
Johnny Joint link ends and OD tube clamps

And the Atlas turned up, 2 speed 3.8:1.

So jobs for tomorrow will be to make a crossmember to hold the auto mount and there will be an output support on the atlas. That mount will come of the crossmember for the rear lower links.

sprungupcruiser
Been here a while

Unread post by sprungupcruiser » November 20th, 2013, 6:41 pm

I got the transmission crossmember done today, it turned out ok. I managed to reuse the first set of engine mounts I had so it uses the same bushes and I will use the same bushed for the transfer case output support.

sprungupcruiser
Been here a while

Unread post by sprungupcruiser » November 20th, 2013, 6:41 pm

Ive had a bit of a quiet week at work this week so it has given me a chance to get some work done on the 'Cruiser. I have skinned the dash, center console, and back wall, I have also mounted the all the shifters and brake levers.

I also added some grab handles to help with getting in and out of the suspension seats.

kirbs8
Here and there

Unread post by kirbs8 » November 20th, 2013, 11:14 pm

This thing is bloody awesome mate! Well done!

sprungupcruiser
Been here a while

Unread post by sprungupcruiser » November 21st, 2013, 6:23 am

Thanks mate.

sprungupcruiser
Been here a while

Unread post by sprungupcruiser » November 21st, 2013, 7:54 pm

Got most of the steering mocked up today,

These were my helpers today. They weren't very helpful.

This is the link that goes from the steering arm, I V'ed it out to get a good weld in there because I want to make sure it's strong. Any tips on the process I should use? I was thinking of doing 3 passes with the TIG using a 1.6mm tungsten and 1.6mm filler. Would that be ok? Any other suggestions?

sprungupcruiser
Been here a while

Unread post by sprungupcruiser » December 9th, 2013, 5:53 pm

I've decided to go a different route with the steering I decided to make some arms out of solid round bar and drill and tap them, I had issues with one of the bungs deforming from heat so thats what lead me to this idea.

In the meantime I have had the tabs and brackets cut for the links and I have the rear pretty well squared away but I thought I would post it up and see if anyone can see any cock ups that I may have missed. It's at full bump too in case I haven't mentioned it.

The truss will be tied into the diff cover when I get around to making it, similar to the artec ones.

sprungupcruiser
Been here a while

Unread post by sprungupcruiser » March 7th, 2014, 10:02 pm

G'day guys, first update for a while, it's not because of a lack of motivation just had to finish off a couple of other projects. The main job I had to finish of was the bathroom build, we have relocated the bathroom so I had to build it from scratch. I did start it three years ago but have done more work on it in the last few months than I have in the 3 years before it. Plus I got my fiance a Heep so of course that needed a ***** load of work. Here is some pic so you know I'm not lying. I did everything myself apart from the sparky work and I had a plumber mate lend a hand for running some water.

Better homes and gardens done. So that has bought me some shed time which I used the last couple of days to set about getting the front axle set up. First thing I had to do was install the Reid inner "C".

Removed the stock items, I'll be buggered if I know how people do this without cutting them in half.

Used my camp oven to preheat the C's, wasn't too keep on doing it in the new oven in the kitchen

The first one I installed I cocked up. I didn't take notice of the fact that the new "C" has to slide further onto the axle tube than the stock one so it ended up getting stuck on the tube and still needing to slide onto the axle another 6mm (.25"). So this was my method for removing it that I came up with, I ended up having to use the 12t jack out of my press and some heat and some FBH to get it to come off but I got it. Lesson learned.

Nailed the other side first go.

So while the axle is apart I want to try and set up the front diff with the 4.56 gears to save pulling it apart again latter on and then I will be onto setting up the front 4 link. Progress will be slow for the first half of the year as the wedding will chew up a fair bit of my time and money.

sprungupcruiser
Been here a while

Unread post by sprungupcruiser » May 2nd, 2014, 6:42 pm

Update time, Ive have got the front four link mocked up. I have ended up with 46* of triagulation which i am happy with. What I am not sure about is the link lengths, the lowers are 940mm (37") and the uppers are 870mm (34.25"). Is there any disadvantage to having link lengths so close together? my understanding of the rule of thumb is you want roughly 70% of the lowers length for your uppers. Not really sure what this would affect other than pinion angle during wheel travel.

I have made the crossmember removable so I can remove the tranny pan for servicing. It will be fixed with 4 .5'' bolts at each end of the xmember with crush tube going through the chassis. will also be brace back from the link mount to the chassis.

I had to put one crush tube outside the chassis, this will be getting boxed in completely.

Clearance is tight in a few spots, the engine will be getting lifted about an inch to clear better at the sump but the bit that is sticking out that looks like with be close to the link can also be ground down some for extra room.

The main reason for lifting the motor is for clearing on the left hand side exhaust header and upper link.

Not a lot of room on the short side lower link mount to get a good weld on the outside of the plates, will probably have to weld to the center chunk and the "C".

Thanks for watching.

Stu an the FJ73
Been here a while

Unread post by Stu an the FJ73 » May 2nd, 2014, 10:25 pm

When I started reading this thread, I had know idea it would go where it has.
So impressed.
So jealous.
Keep it coming. Can't wait.
1986 Toyota FJ73. Build thread; http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=188&t=116768

sprungupcruiser
Been here a while

Unread post by sprungupcruiser » May 2nd, 2014, 10:40 pm

Cheers mate, I didn't know at the beginning either to be honest!

94 TURBO HILUX
Avid Poster

Unread post by 94 TURBO HILUX » May 3rd, 2014, 11:34 am

Not sure about the front links, but the rear upper links on the diff are close together. Im not sure if it's a bad thing or not. When I linked the lux I spent hours on pirate searching for answers on the perfect 3 link set up for on road use, when I was searching there was pages and pages of 4 link stuff. So that might be an option for answers if you've already havnt looked.

Another thing I'm guessing would be clearance issues with the sump/engine having the upper links coming together on the diff end. Not sure about the pinion angle either, if worse comes to worse you could always rotate the diff round a little more.???

Nice work by the way, I don't think I've said too much on your build but I'm always reading it.

sprungupcruiser
Been here a while

Unread post by sprungupcruiser » May 3rd, 2014, 12:13 pm

Thanks mate. Yeah it's hard to see in the photos but I think one the engine is lifted and I clear the sump a little bit I will have over .5" of clearance so that should be plenty. I don't think having the upper links close together at the diff is a problem at all, it's gives me more triagulation. I think having the lower links too close on the chassis end will give you go flex but will affect your roll axis (I think) negatively for going fast. I've got this build on pirate too and nobody has flamed me for it yet so I taking that as a win.

94 TURBO HILUX
Avid Poster

Unread post by 94 TURBO HILUX » May 3rd, 2014, 8:30 pm

Yeah if it's on pirate and you havnt been flamed down, your doing ok. I'm afraid of putting my link setup on there. Anything goes on there. Lol

http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Suspension-411.html

Have you had a read of this?
If it can be broken, it can be fixxed and broken again

Return to “Members Rides, Buildups, and Projects”