middy strength-bj73

Whether it's your first tourer or a hardcore playtruck, show us your vehicle or what you're building inside, and keep us up to date on your mods as they happen!
sprungupcruiser
Been here a while

middy strength-bj73

Unread post by sprungupcruiser » September 19th, 2009, 2:50 pm

G'day guys, I have been on this forum for a few years and have been doing a build up on some other forums so I thought I may as well put the build up on here too.
Got my new cruiser back in may. 1985 bj73 with a 253 on gas. Picked it up off ebay in Brisbane, about 1000km from where I live. I got a mate to get a new clutch and windscreen surround sorted a few leaks fixed then drove back. So far have removed the wheel arches and bogged it up, ripped the back seats out and fix the rust under the windscreen.

how i got it
the wheels arches gone
prep done and masking up
the back yard spray booth
finished product
then did a rear quarter chop to make way for the rear bar i was going to make
made the rear bar with the tabs on each side for swing aways when i get around to making them
did a 30mm body lift
fitted extened shackles, thinking of going back to standard length, i will see when i fit the bigger tires
[font=Impact][size=200][/size][/font]

sprungupcruiser
Been here a while

Unread post by sprungupcruiser » September 19th, 2009, 2:52 pm

chopped the guards amd fitted up some flares, chopped about 25 mm in the back and 35 mm in the front.
fitted some 33's to fill the guards a bit more
35's for play tires
fitted a 12000lb winch
made a water tank to go under the false floor, holds about 55 L
then i started making the strorage system
tidied it up with aliumium angle
ok so finally the engine is finished and its getting packed up with some other goodies and will be getting sent up from brissy this week. hers some update photos of whats been happening.
installed a new head unit with some marine speakers and wired up the uhf. when i got the cruiser al it had in there was the head unit and you could see all the wire and stuff behind the dash.
started to make some sliders, these are the mounts to the chassis, 3 per side
the RHS welded to the mounts
10mm clearance off the seam
the step welded to the RHS
weld in bends
gusset on the arms
me welding in my high tech workshop

sprungupcruiser
Been here a while

Unread post by sprungupcruiser » September 19th, 2009, 2:54 pm

got the sidesteps all painted up and fitted this weekend. i jacked it up on the side step and it flexes about 2mm. doesn't hit anything so i'm not oo worried about it. i also made up a new center console to take the cooler.
also on the drivers side where the front mount for the side step is i couldn't get the brackets back on that holds fuel line and brake line but all the others are back on. can anyone see this being a problem? :?

finally! after a long time waiting my engine is in Mackay and at the mechanics to get put in ImageImageImage. It got dropped off last night, im getting the gearbox done up as well, he called me about it today and the main gear shaft/ input shaft? (i don't think it's called that) is pretty buggered and it will start shedding metal and get into the bearings, apparently can't source a new one.... Image? so either way things will get done in time and it will be getting close to being finshed. i got some other stuff on the pallet with the engine. heres some pics.
some of the stuff off the pallet and some stuff i already had up here.
ImageImage

keebie
Been here a while

Unread post by keebie » September 20th, 2009, 7:10 am

Nice middy mate! The middy's are the shizz. Looks like you have done a good job on the old bus.
[size=167] [/size]

sprungupcruiser
Been here a while

Unread post by sprungupcruiser » September 20th, 2009, 9:01 am

cheers mate, she's not done yet but its getting close. can't wait to get it all done and get out into the bush again.

sprungupcruiser
Been here a while

Unread post by sprungupcruiser » October 5th, 2009, 8:37 pm

the engine is done and it sounds 10364 times better than the old shyta, goes alot better and i haven't even given't it much while i run it in. gearbox and transfer are rebuilt brand new exhaust, its all virtually brand new, i love it. john ham at offroad autos has done a really nice job Image .

ImagePosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:29 pmImage Image Image Image

this is only running a holley 465 carby at the moment, i'm probably looking at getting the holley truck avenger carby which are either 670 or 770. haven't decided which one i want yet.

Gib009
Avid Poster

Unread post by Gib009 » October 5th, 2009, 9:41 pm

great build up mate! what did you do with your factory flares? I am chasing a set. Wish i could do a few of the things you have done to your truck like the quarter chop, guard chop,rear bar and sliders. Very handy skills to have
87 Toyota Landcruiser BJ71 on 35's :D
[url]http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=59666[/url]

sprungupcruiser
Been here a while

Unread post by sprungupcruiser » October 5th, 2009, 9:53 pm

cheers mate, not to bad for a chippy. i sold the flares a month or so ago to a bloke in SA, found out i sold them quite cheap cos i didn't know what they were worth. i was just going to chuck them out so didn't worry me.

wickiwickiben
Been here a while

Unread post by wickiwickiben » October 7th, 2009, 3:09 pm

that sounds fkn grouse

sprungupcruiser
Been here a while

Unread post by sprungupcruiser » October 7th, 2009, 4:15 pm

cheers mate, the exhaust bloke did a top job and its super neat the way he's done it.

sprungupcruiser
Been here a while

Unread post by sprungupcruiser » October 11th, 2009, 7:56 am

put the 35's with flipped rims on yesterday, gave it a bit tougher stance. When i flexed it up it still had about 50 or 60 mm to go to hit the bump stops. with the lockers that should get me a few places.

sprungupcruiser
Been here a while

Unread post by sprungupcruiser » October 20th, 2009, 7:39 pm

Just a little update. Mounted up some VS commonwhore seats into the cruiser for a bit more comfort. I wanted to try and keep the susopension base but it was way too high. So I ended up makigng a whole new base for them. Also I got a led replacement bulb for my standard interior light, heaps better, $15 well spent.

DRTYBOY
Been here a while

Unread post by DRTYBOY » October 22nd, 2009, 4:43 pm

lookin good mate. hows the 8 go in the slow stuff
LIVE LIFE TO THE FULL

sprungupcruiser
Been here a while

Unread post by sprungupcruiser » October 22nd, 2009, 4:50 pm

haven't had a chance to use it offroad yet still running it in and then i'll get the gas hooked back up. geez it uses heaps of fuel, about 30l/100km. that was with towing a trailer and 35's around town so hopefully it settles down abit.

sprungupcruiser
Been here a while

Unread post by sprungupcruiser » November 1st, 2009, 7:09 pm

Well this weekend I made the bars to take the roof rack. I decided I didn't like having any weight on the FRP top gutters and I also didn't like the idea of having a bar go all the way down to my slider and one on to the bumper. So i came up with this.
Where the bar mounts to the cab there will be another 50x5mm bit of flat bar with the bolts threw it, so essentially its clamped on the panel. It's was just mocked up in the photos, I still have to make mounts for the rack and grind it all back. What do you think?

Return to “Members Rides, Buildups, and Projects”