Re: Pathfinder Project in 4WDAction Issue 185

Whether it's your first tourer or a hardcore playtruck, show us your vehicle or what you're building inside, and keep us up to date on your mods as they happen!
outback cruisa
Need to get out more

Re: Pathfinder Project in 4WDAction Issue 185

Unread post by outback cruisa » January 14th, 2009, 4:57 pm

i guess its about time i start a build thread about my car.

its a red 97 series 1 R50 pathfinder
engine runs a VG33E V6 engine which is pretty good powerwise running 4sp autobox with overdrive
fulltime locked front hubs shift on the fly engagement
stock size HT tyres which i was surprised how far these HT tyres got me in my trips so far in it

when i bought it it was basically as bare as it could be with all the factory fitted stuff removed, of which ive slowly being able to trace down the bits n bobs are reasonable prices around the place

below are photos of when i 1st picked it up

and these are of me out with the pathfinder club of austr at beerburrum state forest

Last edited by outback cruisa on June 20th, 2013, 6:10 pm, edited 21 times in total.

outback cruisa
Need to get out more

Unread post by outback cruisa » January 14th, 2009, 6:14 pm

over xmas ive been busy installing a few things on it and i must say even though a couple of the things are normally stock, since installing them its made it look a whole lot tougher...

Uniden UH400sx UHF
GME TX835 Am
Kenwood Mp3/cd player with 5" splits
ECB polished alloy nudgebar
SCA driving lights as temporary till i buy bigger ones
and have got factory roof bars with cross racks on the way to install
extractors

plans in the near future are:

reversing lights
reverse camera
new GPS
MAXXIS buckshot tyres
2" suspension lift
replace the GME with a SSB radio before my trip through country NSW in march
maybge get around to finishing my rear drawers oneday as soon as i can stop changing my mind on the design lol
going to put a new exhaust system in to finish the job of the extractors
then upgrade my driving lights to something with a lot more power proberly either lightforce or IPS dual spots and move the sca lights to either side of the roof or use them as my reversing lights
duel battery system will be installed sometime oin the next 6 months when i get around to doing it and finding a new battery that will fit right next to the current one as there is only the 1 spot to be able to fit a 2nd battery squeezed right up against the 1st one, which means i dont have to run too much cable :D and when i do that ill do a fuse box as well to reduce the amount of wires coming off the batteries

Dave_STR
Banned

Unread post by Dave_STR » January 15th, 2009, 1:04 am

Nice Pathy mate, always had a soft spot for the R50's. Just wish Australia got the diesel option aswell.

Looking forward to more on the build up.

Dave.

patrol2pathy
Part of the furniture

Unread post by patrol2pathy » January 15th, 2009, 5:54 am

Nice rig mate. I'm looking forward to watching it take shape too.
[font=Times New Roman][size=200][color=red]Check out my shed too (Pathy & Patrol)[/color][/size][/font]

[url]http://www.4wdmonthly.com.au/shed/index.php?id=1331[/url]

outback cruisa
Need to get out more

Unread post by outback cruisa » January 15th, 2009, 7:32 am

yeah well hopefully when i go back to work in 2 weeks then after that itll start to slowly get into shape a bit more, got it booked in today at the mecahnic to find why im losing so much damn oil from it :(( and everybody whos looked at it thus far cant pinpoint the problem, had every suggestion from...cracked hoses, oil filter loose, sump gasket, bearing seals, cracked sump, powersteering rack busted, etcetc so today i will find out if its gonna cost me a cpl hundred or a cpl thousand to fix, and its a rare problem as all the mechaincs have said " WOW the VG33E has an oil leak, usually they are tough as engines and never leak! "

but if its going to big a big cost, i might weigh up the options of dropping a turbo diesel into it instead if i can find one. or the other option is an engine from an 4.8L v8 infinity, since the VG chews just as much fuel as a v8, i may as well make up for the extra 2 cylinders, as you can get the infinty front cuts from japan for less then 2g atm
Pathy Buildup: Project Pathy

4WDAction Issue 185 Full Feature

outback cruisa
Need to get out more

Unread post by outback cruisa » January 15th, 2009, 11:38 am

grrrrr saw the mechanic today, front main bearing seal is rooted

so no car for 2 days next week
the whjole front of the engine bay has to come out

new cam belt
new timing belt
fan belts
front bearing
front bearing seals
new oil
new radiator hoses
and hes gonna check the rest of the hoses and stuff to make sure theyll be alright for a while longer, as its coming up to the 200k service so might as well do it all now while the engines stripped down

and all for only $600-800 guarenteed work woohoo, i guess its who you know hehe but no car for 2 days next week :(

Dave_STR
Banned

Unread post by Dave_STR » January 15th, 2009, 6:29 pm

Not good about your problem, but better to have the issues now and get it fixed and you should have a few hundred thousand km's free of issues.

Good luck with it.

The motor your talking about is either the VH41DE or the VH45DE. 4.5L V8 or a 4.1L V8, take your pick.

Dave.

outback cruisa
Need to get out more

Unread post by outback cruisa » January 15th, 2009, 8:26 pm

if i could do the transplant it would be the VH45

but for now ill have to pout up with the good old VG33

outback cruisa
Need to get out more

Unread post by outback cruisa » January 19th, 2009, 5:16 pm

engine was stripped today at the mechanics, basically there are 2 major seal breakages, the main crack seal or something of the kind was totally FUBAR and another seal had a bad leak too, hes also replacing the waterpump as well fter i asked him to check the condition while he had the engine in bits.
i pick the car up tomrrow arvo and hopefully it might have a bit more ecconomy and takeoff grunt with all the new seals and pumps and stuff thats gone onto it now.

also another side project ill be working on 1 weekend TBA soon, ill be making my own roof basket to mount to the roof rails ive got coming, itll mount just with some U bolts so i can mount rear lights and more front lights as well on it, will have picties of it when i get around to doing it in the next month or so when the missus will let me spend a bit more on it lol

outback cruisa
Need to get out more

Unread post by outback cruisa » January 21st, 2009, 6:23 pm

got the car back today...

$941.41

new fan belt
timing belt
cam belt
crank seal
aome other seal
waterpump
and labour
with new oil and coolant

he said the crank seal was as hard as a rock from it being dried out so much
strangly now it seems to a bit more grunty
so this will keeo the baby going for another 100k before the next timeing belt change :)
Last edited by outback cruisa on February 14th, 2011, 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

outback cruisa
Need to get out more

Unread post by outback cruisa » March 20th, 2009, 8:31 am

we so far nothing much has changed on my todo list, i forgot to mention in my 1st popst about the sidesteps i put on as well
but otherwise its been pretty much grounded as ive been working 60hr weeks for the last 2 months straight and dosent allow much left over for play time in the car.
but next months im getting a new AT tyres put on and slightly larger around 30" i believe i was quoted on.
and as far as the pinging was going the mechanic advanced the timing just a tad too much, but running 98ron and octaneboost fixes that problem right up.
as well as at first i ran some of that new fancy expensive stuff from supercheap auto into the oil, you know the stuff in the fancy boxes that goes for about $30odd cant remeber the name of it, but it also increases the compression by 30% as well, and i had a nice acceleration boost after using that stuff :D

roof racks arrived but the idiots sent me roof racks for a series 2 pathy so i couldnt use them, and sent them back and have since found out that the only was to get an aftermarket system to go on my roof is to spend about 5-600 at ARB to get a whole new track system installed on :( and the only wrecker i can find that has the factory rails i want, wants 150ea for them, greedy mongrels those wreckers are, i swear that is the new organised crime!

cheers guys n gals

outback cruisa
Need to get out more

Unread post by outback cruisa » March 29th, 2009, 8:26 pm

well a new set of 235x75xr15 maxxis bighorns go on tomorrow hehe finally ill be able to have sopme real fun instead of the lim itations i have with the now semi slick Hts that are on it now

then im working on getting myself some coilspacers for my 2" lift, and maybe some polyairs next on the list, then after that ill be looking at a new exhaust profile, 2.5" all the way from the extractors with a free flowing cat and muffler, it sounds tough now when i boot it but wait till i get the new exhaust done hehehe

btw im still working on a design for my roof baskets that im going to fab up for it so i can mount some more lights on the roof and some reversing lifghts as well, as i dont want to have to mount the rear lights on the towbar attatched with some uhf brackets

picts up in the next day or 2 of the new tyres

outback cruisa
Need to get out more

Unread post by outback cruisa » March 30th, 2009, 4:55 pm

ended up with maxxis 751 tyres as there was only 3 of the mudstar tyres i was after in all of Qld :(

but these are aggressive enough for what i need compared to the standard maxxis bravo tyres and they so far run pretty good on the road no noise and the car is lifted by about an inch

the guy at the shop thought about getting me 255 tyres but then he realised under Qld silly laws the maximum tyre increase size is 15mm end of story.

Dave_STR
Banned

Unread post by Dave_STR » March 31st, 2009, 2:06 am

Coming along nicely.

What do you do for a job working 60 hours a week.

Rather you then me.

Dave.

outback cruisa
Need to get out more

Unread post by outback cruisa » April 2nd, 2009, 7:01 am

lol security hehe usually min 10-12hr shifts day or night, my longest shift so far has been 15hrs :shock: but that was due to a range of reasons why i had to stay that long, mainly due to other trolls not showing up for work grrrr

Return to “Members Rides, Buildups, and Projects”