4x4 Toyota Coaster-Cummins-F250 conversion

Whether it's your first tourer or a hardcore playtruck, show us your vehicle or what you're building inside, and keep us up to date on your mods as they happen!
DJR96
Need to get out more

Re: 4x4 Toyota Coaster-Cummins-F250 conversion

Unread post by DJR96 » June 14th, 2012, 8:37 am

Mungrel wrote:You'd have to be pretty happy with those fuel numbers yeah? Being a V8, and a larger vehicle!
Great job :D
Ahhh. Have you read this topic from the beginning?
The Cummins is a straight six, and "only" 5.9 litres at that. Not huge by trucking standards from which it is based on.

V8/I6/I4/V6/V10.... engine configuration has little to do with it's fuel economy anyway.

But yes, not too bad considering he's got the aerodynamics of a brick. :cool:
Cheers, Dave.
RCV Supertourer build:- [url]http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=36370[/url]

4x4Coaster
Been here a while

Unread post by 4x4Coaster » June 16th, 2012, 3:07 pm

G’day Mungrel! Yep, pretty happy with that & like Dave said; Aerodynamics of a brick! I’m just glad it’s a brick with smooth edges & not a wirecut!

No doubt most of you are aware of the promo Roothy just did for a big Tigerz sale down in Vic today, so guess where I’ve just got back from?

Tree trunk protector
Pulley block
2 extension straps
Recovery bag
1200lb winch

ALL of it for $650 – thanks Roothy!!!!!! :D

4x4Coaster
Been here a while

Unread post by 4x4Coaster » June 19th, 2012, 6:26 pm

Started working on getting the winch fitted, disconnect the parker/blinker plugs, undo the snorkel connection, unplug the driving lights and undo the 4 wing bolts and 6 main bolts and it was off the bus in about 10 minutes.
Those of you who have followed this thread for a while may remember that I made the bulbar separate to the chassis mount and winch cradle. Now I just bolt the winch to the cradle, after cutting the bolts to the right length, and connected up the earth cable because it will be awkward once the bar goes back on. I also had to drill holes in the face of the bulbar for the aluminium hawse fairlead bolts.
The easy part is done, however none of the battery cable will be long enough so I will have to join extra length to make it to the batteries. The winch specifies minimum 650cca battery for operation, I have two 460cca connected in parallel so theoretically I have 920cca. Another thing on my ‘to-do’ list is make the battery cradle bigger so I can fit the next bigger size battery (physical size) and then I’ll run twin 750cca batteries.

I’ll have to put the bar back on to figure out where to mount the control box.

Pics so far;

4x4Coaster
Been here a while

Unread post by 4x4Coaster » June 24th, 2012, 4:04 pm

Well the winch is fitted, wired and working.
I didn’t take a photo with the number plate fitted but it will screw back in the original holes in the bar but using the holes in the bottom of the number plate instead of the top holes.
Had to extend the power cables a metre each, no surprise there, and the control box sits nicely behind the driver side spottie.
The winch hook just grabs the open ‘C’ channel of the front cross-member which keeps it out of harms way.

Last edited by 4x4Coaster on July 23rd, 2012, 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigDutchy
Need to get out more

Unread post by BigDutchy » June 24th, 2012, 4:48 pm

Mate your skills are of the planet! I love this thread. Sometimes I have no idea what you are making but what ever you make it looks great.
I follow the RCV Supertourer and your thread you both are gifted guys!

Cheers

Aaron Schubert
Need to get out more

Unread post by Aaron Schubert » June 24th, 2012, 6:00 pm

Coming along mate. Keep trucking!

Aaron
Looking for somewhere to go 4WDing in WA? Check out WA 4WD Tracks

My 80 Series Landcruiser

Coaster 4WD
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Coaster 4WD » July 20th, 2012, 11:58 pm

Hi,congrats on your buildup, very impressive. Thought I would say g'day as I'm now the very happy owner of Fred's Coaster. Was going to try and catch you on the way past but work ment I had to get back to Perth so it was a quick trip ( 2 days ) from Melbourne. Anyway will be back over east by the end of the year I hope and would love to drop by and see if we can't get the "Big Girls" flexed up somewhere and scare a few of the hardcore boys.

Cheers

Richard

4x4Coaster
Been here a while

Unread post by 4x4Coaster » July 23rd, 2012, 3:50 pm

Hi Coaster 4WD,
at first I didn't spot your reply because I thought it was my last post with the forum name being so similiar.

Was the bus you bought turbo charged? I remember reading that it was in his plans for the bus.
Did you get a chance to talk to Fred much? my understanding was that they only ever built 2 of the coasters, is that correct?

You must have done some low level flying to get back to WA that quick! How does the new baby like highway cruising?

A big 'Yes' to catching up one day!

You will have to start a thread to show us all the new beast in great detail.

regards,
Glen.

Coaster 4WD
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Coaster 4WD » August 2nd, 2012, 12:27 pm

Hi Glen

Fred built 2 coasters the first of which he sold to a mate of his. The first one has the bi-fold door and my one has a plug door. My vehicle has a Safari Turbo fitted but no intercooler.

The trip home was more about lot's of hours rather than high speed but the vehicle went well and the cruise control was the best thing ever.

The only problem's I had was a couple of new looking Coopers de-laminating coming down the NSW South coast and my 24-12v inverter crapping out. The tyres on my coaster are an odd size (16.5in) on heavy duty custom rims so it took 3 days to get a new set of rubber sent to Batemans Bay where the second de-lam occured. Any way the new BFG's went very well the rest of the trip home and the new inverter sorted out my 12v problems.

I fitted a 600mm LED light bar to the front bar which was the best light spread I've ever had.

Will take a few photo's when I get home from work in a week or so

Cheers

Richard

Gojeep
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Gojeep » August 2nd, 2012, 5:58 pm

My mate had the same problem with his Cooper Tyres with 3 going like that in the first 6 months on his 80 series!

4x4Coaster
Been here a while

Unread post by 4x4Coaster » November 10th, 2012, 2:49 pm

Well it’s been a while since I’ve posted so here’s an update;

Recently replaced all the intake plumbing so I have the snorkel which is 90mm and from there it’s 100mm all the way to the turbo. Also got rid of the Toyota air filter box, which I had modified with larger in & out diameters, and replaced it with a compact inline filter and housing which is good for 600 CFM.
Economy has improved slightly and the engine revs a bit more freely. Recent economy has been around the 18.5 L/100k but now down to 17.6 L/100k.

Recent trip up to the Gold Coast, Burleigh Waters, and across to Moreton island was great and the bus is brilliant for this type of trip easily being able to cruise at 110 where permitted. The only problem was a seized accelerator cable, which happened on Moreton of all places, but managed to get back and got a new cable made the next day. Did get to meet Dave and see the Supertourer in person, what a beast! The vehicle that is! Thanks again Dave for your hospitality and help with the cable saga!

Have been putting up with fluid loss for a while now and decided to fix it before the Christmas break. Leak is from the head gasket near the front driver side, no fluid into the oil, just leaking to atmosphere.

Getting the head off a diesel is a first for me and this one weighs 52kg bare! The head is in for machining, just needs a few thou off to tidy it up and possibly a small valve grind depending on how it measures up. Have also dropped the injectors off to be checked, hopefully a clean is all they need. So now it’s just a case of waiting for parts and machining and putting it all back together.

paz
Been here a while

Unread post by paz » November 10th, 2012, 8:24 pm

Mate did you go through Dubbo a few weeks ago?

Could have sworn i saw your bus on my way to work in the morning.

brad75troopy
Avid Poster

Unread post by brad75troopy » November 11th, 2012, 10:21 am

This Bus is so cool

d3m0n1c_4b
Part of the furniture

Unread post by d3m0n1c_4b » November 11th, 2012, 4:59 pm

what an absolute beast. love it

Toyholden
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Toyholden » November 12th, 2012, 12:25 pm

Fantastic job Glen :thumb:
Iv'e just spent hours reading through your build... addicted to it!!!
Seriously it takes passion, dedication, patience, persistence, $$$$ & a magician craftsman like yourself to perform this kind of a build... clap clap my hands to the efforts put into your bus... well documented & great pics is what kept me glued to my seat whilst reading through this build...
I cant think of words to describe how impressed i am...
All the best... Enjoy!!!!

"DUCK" :)
______________**BUILT NOT BOUGHT & FULLY ENGINEERED**______________
Toyota SURF 94 > 308 V8 - TH350 > SNAKEracing 4IN Lift Kit > 30mm Body Lift
Mickey Thompson 33x12.5xR15 MTZ'S + Micky Thompson Dick Cepec 15x8 Rims

Return to “Members Rides, Buildups, and Projects”