4x4 Toyota Coaster-Cummins-F250 conversion

Whether it's your first tourer or a hardcore playtruck, show us your vehicle or what you're building inside, and keep us up to date on your mods as they happen!
DJR96
Need to get out more

Re: 4x4 Toyota Coaster-Cummins-F250 conversion

Unread post by DJR96 » April 20th, 2012, 11:15 am

Actually the top ball joint that the knuckles pivot on (to steer) are mounted in an eccentric bush so that you can adjust camber and castor a small amount. So it is possible to adjust them independently.

On most two lane roads the middle is slightly higher to ensure water drainage. In effect you're usually travelling along a side slope, albeit only a small amount. Having a small difference in castor and/or camber from one side to the other will help the vehicle to track straight on the road profile, so you don't have to continuously apply some right turn pressure on the steering wheel to stay straight. Trick here is that US vehicles use the other side of the road so you would need to swap their alignment recommendations over to suit our side of the road.
Cheers, Dave.
RCV Supertourer build:- [url]http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=36370[/url]

Gojeep
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Gojeep » April 20th, 2012, 11:23 am

I fully realise why it is done Dave and can also be done the way you say there, but it can't be done via the method stated of just drilling the arm attachment holes in a different spot. You could say alter the caster an extra 3 degrees for instance that way, but each side can only alter the exact same amount as just rolling the whole axle back that much.

DJR96
Need to get out more

Unread post by DJR96 » April 20th, 2012, 1:40 pm

You're quite right. I just thought I'd point it out as some people wouldn't realise that wheel alignment can be different from one side to the other.
And I think Glen had a fair bit more castor which he had to rotate the whole axle housing to get close to the figures he's been given. He can then fine tune it or get differing amounts with the eccentric bushes.

It's going to be interesting to see how my rig goes. I sure hope I don't have these dramas too. However, so much of mine is different it'll be a different beast to deal with.
Cheers, Dave.
RCV Supertourer build:- [url]http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=36370[/url]

4x4Coaster
Been here a while

Unread post by 4x4Coaster » April 20th, 2012, 6:53 pm

Gojeep, you are correct that you can only rotate the housing to the same extent both sides. As Dave suggested, I was coming down from 5.8 deg to 1.7 and so the only way to get that much change is to rotate the housing and drill new mounting holes. I set up the driver side to 1.7 and had the top eccentric bush set fully to the front. I also have the passenger side set fully to the front and I believe the bushes can give up to 1 deg of change, so now I can alter either side between 1.7 and 2.7deg. I will get a proffessional alignment to check the readings and fine tune it from there, but in the mean time both sides are at 1.7 and it is behaving, so I will wait and see if I need to increase the driver side slightly.

safari truck
Been here a while

Unread post by safari truck » April 20th, 2012, 11:47 pm

just fell into your build... when i say fell... crikey mate... theres a lot here to see!
well done i can't read it all just now but... yeah i'll be back to chew through it...
cheers for puttin it up!
Adulthood... its about doing the things you dreamt about as a child...and hurry it up...there is a time limit!

robertbruce
Getting to know the place

Unread post by robertbruce » April 21st, 2012, 8:28 am

heya Glen...

nice work sorting that issue... apparently raising the rear suspension affects the front suspensions angles?

Your crossbrace is quite different from mine... I have a combo bash-plate cross brace layed horizontal with a fat guage and 22mm bolts holding it on, there is also additional cross members down the rails...

i recently bought a mig, set the patio up as a metal shop and have gotten serious with the paint and panel.... when that is done i am going to reward my self with putting in some windows in the side walls of my roof, sort samba-style

how have you rewarded yourself for this stage of the work?

4x4Coaster
Been here a while

Unread post by 4x4Coaster » April 28th, 2012, 8:22 pm

G'day Safari truck, welcome to the thread & hope you enjoy it!

Hi robertbruce, believe me, solving the wobbles is enough reward in itself!

I have just finished fitting a tacho at last, it is a diesel type so it picks up a signal from a sensor strapped to the alternator, it has a range of 5000rpm which is nearly double my usable rev range.

I have also replaced my heater section on the intake manifold. Originally it had a heater in it for cold climates but it’s no needed here. I had previously removed the heater core and blanked out the holes with bolts however I want to be sure there is no pressure loss and also to make it as streamlined as possible, you’ll get the idea from the pic attached!

I’ll also attach a pic of one of the eccentric bushes from the front axle top ball joint for minor caster adjustments.

Here is the tacho,

Here is the billet heater delete section compared to the original with element removed,

And here is an eccentric bush from the front end

Gojeep
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Gojeep » April 28th, 2012, 9:40 pm

Nice delete piece. Did you draw it up and have it made on a CNC?

stretch4x4

Unread post by stretch4x4 » April 28th, 2012, 10:51 pm

Yeah I am interested in that and cost too I have been told I should do that on my intake too..
Image HDJ79R & Traxxas Summit

4x4Coaster
Been here a while

Unread post by 4x4Coaster » April 29th, 2012, 6:04 pm

Gojeep & stretch4x4, here is the company that made the heater delete. I bought it on ebay for about $60 and the freight was almost as much as the piece.

http://www.custombilletworks.com/index.php

stretch4x4

Unread post by stretch4x4 » April 29th, 2012, 11:48 pm

Cheers for that :thumb:
Image HDJ79R & Traxxas Summit

optical
Been here a while

Unread post by optical » April 30th, 2012, 1:43 am

this is epic !

last custom thread i enjoyed this much was the Ftruck with XR6 turbo conversion

you have some tallent !

Gojeep
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Gojeep » April 30th, 2012, 10:57 am

4x4Coaster wrote:Gojeep & stretch4x4, here is the company that made the heater delete. I bought it on ebay for about $60 and the freight was almost as much as the piece.

http://www.custombilletworks.com/index.php
Don't you just hate it when you have to pay as much, or more, for the freight than it is worth!

4x4Coaster
Been here a while

Unread post by 4x4Coaster » June 13th, 2012, 9:39 pm

Quick update on the bus;

Got the long range tank looked at by Brown Davis, it was running out of fuel under heavy load & even fitting an electric pump at the tank didn’t fix it.
They took the tank out, opened up the top, increased the size of the fuel pickup and increased the size of the fuel baffle area which keeps fuel near the pickup under acceleration or going uphill.
Have had a good test run over the long weekend and no problems at all.

Queens’ Birthday weekend in Vic so we went up to Hattah Kulkyne NP, but as most of the tracks were closed due to flood damage from March, we camped on the Murray river at a place called Pound Bend. Next day went into Robinvale and continued down the Murray and camped beside the river at Tooleybuc. Went home through Swan Hill, Kerang, Bendigo, Gisborne & Bacchus Marsh.
Travelled about 1250ks, got 940ks from 172.5 litres so 18.35 L/100k and that was a mix of highway travel in places at 110 and meandering along river tracks.

Mungrel
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Mungrel » June 14th, 2012, 7:38 am

You'd have to be pretty happy with those fuel numbers yeah?
Great job :D
Last edited by Mungrel on November 13th, 2012, 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
If it can't be fixed with duct tape or a hammer, It must be electrical
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=187&t=138912&hilit=mungrel%27
Photography Page: http://www.facebook.com/MungrelImages

When in doubt,

Return to “Members Rides, Buildups, and Projects”