1UZ Auto to Hilux Detailed Instructions

Whether it's your first tourer or a hardcore playtruck, show us your vehicle or what you're building inside, and keep us up to date on your mods as they happen!
duza
Been here a while

1UZ Auto to Hilux Detailed Instructions

Unread post by duza » March 28th, 2008, 11:10 am

I have decided to put together a detailed explanation of what is involved with fitting a 1UZ auto transmission to a Hilux 4WD. I have borrowed photos from a forum member on the Lextreme Forum (Madmont), who is from Brisbane, as his photos are so much better than mine and I am sure he would not mind.

· When you buy the motor, make sure you get the corresponding transmission which came with that motor. You will need a 1UZ from a Celsior, which has a front sump and the transmission code is A341E.
· You will need a transfer case from a mid 90s Surf Auto. The manual and auto transfer cases are different and only the auto one will bolt up to the Celsior tranny.
· You must remove the output housing from the Celsior box. This will expose the output shaft. You will be trying to bolt the Surf Transfer case to this part of the transmission. All holes line up, except you will have to drill and tap one more into the bottom of the transmission as detailed below. Drill an 8.5mm hole and tap a 10mm course thread.

· The Surf has a 2 pulse per rev speed sensor attached to the output shaft, whilst the Celsior uses a 4 pulse one. You need to remove the 2 pulse one and fit the 4 pulse one in its place. This is how they both look.

· In order to fit it, you must cut it down and as it is hardened steel, I got a machine shop to do it for about $40. It was originally located on the output shaft by a spline, but you will have cut this off, so I got 3 x 6mm allen keys grub screws tapped into the sensor and used locktite to lock it all in place. This is how it ends up.

and this is where you fit it on the output shaft.

· You now have to cut the length of the output shaft down so it can bolt up to the transfer case. I used an angle grinder and cut it back to 77mm from the face of the transmission where it bolts to the transfer case.

Last edited by duza on November 7th, 2011, 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SEXY LEXY-94 Hilux Dual Cab with Lexus V8 and Auto.[color="Red"][/color]

POTENT PATHY-99 R50 Pathfinder with Nissan 4.1lt V8and Auto.
[color="Green"][/color]

duza
Been here a while

Unread post by duza » March 28th, 2008, 11:20 am

· You now need to fit the speed sensor to the transfer case housing. Remove the speed sensor pickup from the old Celsior output housing. You now have to drill a hole into the transfer case, corresponding to the place where the speed sensor is located on the output shaft. You will see this area quite clearly as a blank bit on the side of the transfer case. The size hole was 19/32 inch and the holddown bolt was 6mm at 20mm centers.

· When you finally screw the speed sensor down, you will need to space it out about 3mm so that the pickup rotors don’t hit the sensor. I made a spacer from a piece of 3mm thick flat bar. You will also need to ensure a good seal here as oil can leak out. There is a little O ring on the speed sensor, but it only just makes contact because you have spaced the sensor off the housing.
· You can now bolt up the tranny to the case.

· My Hilux is a 94 model and has an electronic speedo. It is attached to the rear of the transfer case and the plug configuration is the same as that from the Celsior output housing (which you have discarded), so fitting up this is as easy as plugging in the plug from the Celsior wiring harness. This is the No1 speed sensor. The other one documented above is the No2 speed sensor. Both are necessary for proper operation of your conversion. If you have a cable speedo drive in your vehicle, you should buy an adaptor, which will still give you the pulses required to go to your ECU and the speedo cable will screw into it. Sideshow Performance Wiring sells these. Check out his web site: http://www.spw.starkie.net .
· Finally, I used the Surf auto shifter, which also will accommodate the 4WD lever and with only a small modification to the tunnel hole it bolted down like factory and the shift rod from the tranny to the shifter also fitted without mods. The only other thing you will need is an auto brake pedal from a Surf and this will fit straight onto your existing pedal box.

This completes the mechanical side of the conversion. I strongly suggest you either get someone who knows intimately how to wire it up for you or purchase a wiring harness from Venom (QLD) or Sideshow (NSW) to avoid shifting problems with the auto. Don’t take some so called expert mechanics advice when he says “she’ll be right, mate, it should be easy”, or you’ll wish you’d never heard of 1UZs.

[color="Green"][/color]

eMOJO
Part of the furniture

Unread post by eMOJO » March 28th, 2008, 11:28 am

Certainly is detailed... great work Duza

Twisty

Unread post by Twisty » March 28th, 2008, 12:26 pm

Yeah, awesome work Duza! Always wondered how keeping the auto was done! Would be keen to here how the lexus auto performs in a 4WD. Was always happy with my manual but.
2012 FJ Cruiser
1984 BJ42 Landcruiser
1977 HJ45 Landcruiser Ute

duza
Been here a while

Unread post by duza » March 28th, 2008, 12:47 pm

Twisty wrote:Yeah, awesome work Duza! Always wondered how keeping the auto was done! Would be keen to here how the lexus auto performs in a 4WD. Was always happy with my manual but.
Mate, No wheel spinning at the lights, but still very good acceleration after I changed to 4.8 diffs. I only have 31 inch tyres, but the auto definitely goes better with these ratios. Could probably go up to 33s now and it would still be fine, but then my speedo will be out, so more money to spend rectifying that. Haven't been anywhere serious in it off road yet, but just from driving in the bush on our property, it feels much better than my old Navara. Not much of a yard stick really, but hope to get out this winter somewhere and give it a better test.
Mine was a manual of course, being a ute, but for someone with an auto already, like a Surf, it really is a cheap conversion and as the wife uses it as her daily driver (for some reason she doesn't like the Navara), going auto was the best option for us.

[color="Green"][/color]

ozrunner
Been here a while

Unread post by ozrunner » March 28th, 2008, 12:56 pm

Just a small point :D but you can't use a 4Runner auto transfer as it is hydraulically operated, only the Surf auto transfer.

Although there are also other ways to mechanically achieve this auto conversion the scenario as described by Duza is the easiest and also from an overall electrical and cost perspective :D.

duza
Been here a while

Unread post by duza » March 28th, 2008, 7:05 pm

ozrunner wrote:Just a small point :D but you can't use a 4Runner auto transfer as it is hydraulically operated, only the Surf auto transfer.

Although there are also other ways to mechanically achieve this auto conversion the scenario as described by Duza is the easiest and also from an overall electrical and cost perspective :D.
Interesting you should say that and you may very well be right. I thought though, it was the auto box not the transfer that was hydraulic, hence its part no A343H. as distinct from the electronic A343E of the Surf. I do know for sure that the transfer I used was from a 92 Surf.

[color="Green"][/color]

ozrunner
Been here a while

Unread post by ozrunner » March 28th, 2008, 9:19 pm

Nah, mate the auto 4Runners transfer selection is also hydraulic. It has its own valve body with a solenoid etc just like an auto and an oil pump with a separate factory oil cooler attached to the right chassis rail.

The transfer hydraulic system is separate from the trans but its all integrated to the auto section and actual transfer and it also uses ATF thus these transfers are entirely different and cannot be used for this type of conversion :D.

boof
Need to get out more

Unread post by boof » May 21st, 2008, 9:02 am

Ok heres a grave dig. Does anyone know what the exact process is to run a gear drive case behind the celsior auto?? Ozrunner you have been pulling yotas apart and improving them for years any info??
2014 FJ with a few mods

neonasty
Here and there

Unread post by neonasty » May 21st, 2008, 10:31 am

Awsome work on the write up. Id love to do this oneday, but with the 1JZ I have in the garage. Anyone know of a cheap body damaged Surf for sale in Melbourne? It wouldnt be registed anyway... :)

Remove the body and use an extensive roll cage with a new floor. Decent tyres, small lift, 1JZ power.. Good fun. :)

pinkfloyddsotm
Avid Poster

Unread post by pinkfloyddsotm » May 21st, 2008, 6:20 pm

so what manual gearbox would you use to bolt up to the 1UZ?

ozrunner
Been here a while

Unread post by ozrunner » May 22nd, 2008, 12:03 am

boof wrote:Ok heres a grave dig. Does anyone know what the exact process is to run a gear drive case behind the celsior auto?? Ozrunner you have been pulling yotas apart and improving them for years any info??
Boof,

Contact Big Mike at Marlin Crawlers in the US. You just need a simple adapter plate :D

I think it's this one, V6T-4CX and sells for $349.

JD

50RTD
Here and there

Unread post by 50RTD » May 22nd, 2008, 6:29 pm

pinkfloyddsotm wrote:so what manual gearbox would you use to bolt up to the 1UZ?

The 1UZ never came out in manual unfortunately, however Dellows and Castlemaine Rod Shop both sell bellhousings and/or full kits to convert to various gearbox variants, arguably the best of the bunch for a 4wd being the R150/R151 in its many variants.

Kit's cost $1100-odd i think plus postage, with flywheel, clutch, clutch fork blah blah.

Awesome motors though, plenty of blokes on here running em.

molie
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by molie » March 10th, 2009, 12:42 pm

ozrunner wrote:Just a small point :D but you can't use a 4Runner auto transfer as it is hydraulically operated, only the Surf auto transfer.

You CAN use the A340H transfer case. All you need to do is strip down both transmissions and transfer case , swap the A340H transmission output shaft into the A341E fit the A341e speed sensor and rotor Fit the A340H valve body to the A341E after you have assembled the transmission and transfer case ,put on the A340h sump rewire it and fool the ecu into thinking you still have 4 solenoids inside. Works well.

rickgooner
I'm new, be nice!

Re: 1UZ Auto to Hilux Detailed Instructions

Unread post by rickgooner » April 20th, 2011, 7:42 pm

duza wrote:
· When you buy the motor, make sure you get the corresponding transmission which came with that motor. You will need a 1UZ from a Celsior, which has a front sump and the transmission code is A341E.
Why do you have to have the exact transmission that came with that motor?
Cheers
Rick

Return to “Members Rides, Buildups, and Projects”