RCV Supertourer 6.0 V8 TDi

Whether it's your first tourer or a hardcore playtruck, show us your vehicle or what you're building inside, and keep us up to date on your mods as they happen!
pavadrin
Been here a while

Re: RCV Supertourer 6.0 V8 TDi

Unread post by pavadrin » June 17th, 2015, 11:10 pm

DJR96 wrote:Fair question. In it's box like this I can pull it out and connect it on to the rear of the chassis or even use some chains to secure it almost sideways. Just greater versatility really.
Makes sense. Thank you.

DJR96
Need to get out more

Unread post by DJR96 » June 18th, 2015, 2:52 pm

dhc4ever wrote:Remind me again Dave how many hectares is your shed?
Wide angle lens makes it look bigger than it is. My shed is only about 10m x 20m. There's really not much free space at all. The guillo is where I had Pauls little lathe and mill. He's got his own place now and taken them.
Cheers, Dave.
RCV Supertourer build:- [url]http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=36370[/url]

Gojeep
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Gojeep » June 18th, 2015, 3:52 pm

Trying to picture how this winch setup works. Are the round bosses on each side have a pin passed through them and into the sides of the winch box? How will the pins be retained? Not sure what the 'pink bits' do either?
Where will the bumper be in relationship to this? Covering the blue SHS below it? Will there be something to rest the winch box on while you pass the pins through if that is how it works?
Have you worked out just how heavy the winch and box is going to be? A 12,000 lb winch would be a minimum for this rig and they are already 60 kg with steel wire plus the weight of the box etc.
Sorry for all the questions but just trying to get a picture in my head the way this is being done.
Last edited by Gojeep on December 12th, 2016, 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Marcus

DJR96
Need to get out more

Unread post by DJR96 » June 19th, 2015, 8:34 pm

I'll try to explain better.
The pink bits are RUD lifting rings. (VRBS-10) They come with pieces that are normally welded onto whatever it is you're lifting. I've just made the ends of the box to suit fitting them into so no welding them which would ruin the pink finish and change the metal losing it's 10t rating.
The box itself simply sits on top of the blue SHS. With the bullbar folded down, the inside surface will become level with the SHS so I can slide the box in/out from the chassis. With it slid in, the pink bits swing out and fit over those bosses. There will be some little retainers to keep them there. So the working load of the winch is on the pink bits and bosses. Any downward pull is on the SHS. Sideways held by the chassis rails themselves. And with the bullbar closed, part of it will clamp down on top of the box to secure it and take any upward pull.
And yes, it's a Mile Marker 12,000lb hydraulic winch. Uses the power-steering system to power it. I'm adding electric over air controls for the gearbox, which is two speeds, free-spool and locked. So it needs connections for hydraulics, electrics and an air line. All of which will be at both ends of the chassis. Controls in-cab and by remote. And definitely synthetic rope. The front number plate will be on a hinged panel, with it closed you won't be able to see any of the winch at all.
Cheers, Dave.
RCV Supertourer build:- [url]http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=36370[/url]

Gojeep
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Gojeep » June 20th, 2015, 6:31 pm

Thanks Dave for going to the trouble of explaining it for me. :)
Cheers, Marcus

DeepThought
Been here a while

Unread post by DeepThought » January 14th, 2016, 8:34 am

Sooooo maybe this is a stupid question, but, now that it's almost all together I'm guessing that you're going to have to pull it all apart to bead / sand blast the whole lot before you paint everything. Assemble, disassembly, paint, re-assemble.

Well I hope its not an Ikea cousin and you don't get any bits left over. :p

JoshD
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by JoshD » January 18th, 2016, 5:05 pm

I truly enjoy reading a build like this. Bit of a motivation boost and proof that where there's a will, there's a way.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product!

stretch4x4

Unread post by stretch4x4 » December 12th, 2016, 12:55 pm

Apologies to everyone who got excited by this post..

Was just wondering to myself as to what this project is looking like these days.

Not that I expect notifications to actually work..
Image HDJ79R & Traxxas Summit

boklux
Been here a while

Unread post by boklux » February 5th, 2017, 4:52 pm

Also waiting patiently for an update.
Hope you're well Dave.

burbling 60
Been here a while

Unread post by burbling 60 » July 25th, 2017, 8:31 pm

i come back to 4wda every couple of years when I remember this thread and come have a squiz - howz it garn?

Return to “Members Rides, Buildups, and Projects”