RCV Supertourer 6.0 V8 TDi

Whether it's your first tourer or a hardcore playtruck, show us your vehicle or what you're building inside, and keep us up to date on your mods as they happen!
No Fn Idea
Need to get out more

Re: RCV Supertourer 6.0 V8 TDi

Unread post by No Fn Idea » January 21st, 2013, 7:17 pm

How did the new tools go mate?
Glad u had a good and busy xmas. I found a new dirt road from Boggi (actually off the Boggi to Manilla Rd) to Barraba - u should try it. Was heaps of fun!
2013 Auto LS Challenger with stuff
2011 GIC Offroad CT also with some stuff

DJR96
Need to get out more

Unread post by DJR96 » January 23rd, 2013, 9:43 am

The "new tools" Nick refers to is a new Kincrome toolchest I organised for my old man. It replaces an old partial Daniel Forge kit he got for buying a 44 gallon drum of diesel engine oil. I remember playing with them at the age of about 10. (Think I always wanted my own kit since then....)
Dad knew he wouldn't get much mechanical work out of me without decent tools so he finally bit the bullet for them.

It's Kincromes "Evolve" series, which turns out is made in China. So they have two "styles" of spanners and socket sets. Need to be a little careful if you're ordering replacements. Quality? These ones are fully polished chrome so shouldn't rust as easy as the satin chrome. Looks nice and work fine. The open end spanners are slightly thicker. The socket extensions don't have the barrel ends to allow a bit of flex like the originals, or plastic handles on the ratchets. The cabinet has proper roller drawers but the mechanism isn't quite as good as my chest. And I didn't break anything giving them a workout on U-bolts. So pretty good for a decent "value-for-money" kit.

Nick, we've taken a track through there too. We'll have to compare maps and see if we're talking about the same one. Always nice to find short-cuts like that though.
Cheers, Dave.
RCV Supertourer build:- [url]http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=36370[/url]

ntboozer
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by ntboozer » January 31st, 2013, 7:42 pm

G'day Dave,
I have contributed a whole three posts (includes this one) to this forum and it has been a while since I 'last checked in here' after my initial registration. Can I just start by saying that I hope you, your family and all those that live around you managed to emerge unscathed following the recent weather events up your way. Having been born and breed up far north NSW (Goonellabah) all my family still lives up that way. Whilst I work down in Melbourne I spent 4 weeks over the Xmas / New Year period soaking up the wonderful sunshine between Coolum, Qld and Grafton, NSW. Having got back to Melbourne 2 weeks ago I watched in amazement the destruction this 'ex cyclone' unleashed on almost the entire east coast of this great country. My heart goes out to all of you affected by the recent events. I found most sad those poor buggers in SE QLD that had just started to get their lives back on track after the 2011 devastation only to be smashed again. Mother Nature is one wicked bitch that will never be tamed by us humans.

Can I just say that on every level this build, your determination to see it through to the end and all the side projects that have occurred are nothing short of inspirational. Keep it up mate as there are many following this build just waiting for the day you post some pics of cruisin' down the road with full vehicle registration.

Cheers
nt

DeepThought
Been here a while

Unread post by DeepThought » March 19th, 2013, 8:22 am

Nothing for a long time here..... did the thread die ?

Say it ain't so.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » March 19th, 2013, 9:05 am

DJR's still around, Deepthought, posting in other threads about all the other stuff he's doing & asking questions about HID projector lights etc, so I'd say we'll eventually see some more - this sort of build isn't something that happens overnight! And it often takes a bit of research about getting/doing the right stuff for the next step - you might even say it calls for some deep thought every now and then, but that'd be an awful play on words! :whyme:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

DJR96
Need to get out more

Unread post by DJR96 » March 19th, 2013, 2:57 pm

Not forgotten. Just too much other crap in life to deal with.
Finally got some decent steel stationary cabinets to be able to sort through the last corner of my shed, so that's nearly tidied up.
Built some yards for the sheep we've got now keeping some of the grass down.
Still have to mow the rest.....again..... and weed spray bits too.
Have now got tools and equipment for doing auto A/C systems. The Tribute has a leak, the Hilux's has been dead for some time, and in time I'll have to put together a mix of parts in the project. Unknown gas charge will have most guys shying away from helping me with it. So I've decided to do it myself. [No license required if using Hychill HR12 gas.]
Got an excavator coming today to fix up some erosion and dams from all the wet weather we've had.
Still got a leak to fix in the underground suction pipe for the pool. It's sucking air in and losing prime too easily. Not looking forward to that....

I know exactly what the next step in the build is. Turn some little stainless studs and an adapter. Then fab a cradle for the winch and make it's attachments to the chassis.
Just when I get the time.................. :rolleyes:

Oh, is anyone able to transport an old guillotine up from Gosford? (about 3m long and weigh a good 2 tonne)
Cheers, Dave.
RCV Supertourer build:- [url]http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=36370[/url]

No Fn Idea
Need to get out more

Unread post by No Fn Idea » March 19th, 2013, 7:38 pm

I know a guy with a truck that can carry that...........gimme a day or so and call me to see what I've come up with

The pootroll could legally tow that weight but it may blow up :lol:

Sounds like you've been busy mate :crazy:

DeepThought
Been here a while

Unread post by DeepThought » March 21st, 2013, 9:35 am

Peter,
Yup I'm known for that sort of pondering, doing some on my own ute at the moment. :thumb:

Dave,
So not much going on then :p
I'm sure we will see it when its ready to be seen.

ben85
Been here a while

Unread post by ben85 » March 31st, 2013, 5:40 pm

crazy build up
bet you can't wait to get it on the road, i know i cant wait to see it when its all done.

DJR96
Need to get out more

Unread post by DJR96 » May 16th, 2013, 5:55 pm

Anyone up for an update?
Of course you are!

Last time (too long ago now) I was making some modifications to the winch. Been some more.

Here it is mostly assembled. I've made some small stainless steel parts to mount a small pneumatic actuator (cylinder) to each of the gear selectors. So I'll have full in-cab control of all functions.

Stand off studs screwed into the end of the housing. And there's an adapter to join the actuator rod to the shaft of the selector. Incidentally, if ever you want to do the same, use the next size cylinder up from this one. This 25mm diameter one is barely strong enough to pull against the spring inside.

Much the same arrangement for the other one. The stand off studs will screw into the cradle I'm yet to make.

But we've got a pretty big problem.
I wasn't even aware of it until I unpacked the hydraulic solenoid. As you can see with the way it is oriented, it has the solenoids sticking up where it's vulnerable and going to be in the way of the bullbar........
Cheers, Dave.

DJR96
Need to get out more

Unread post by DJR96 » May 16th, 2013, 5:56 pm

After much deliberating I decided the only way to get it the way I wanted was to make my own valve manifold. There's are machining challenge!

So with some sketches and a drawing and dimensions of the cartridge valve cavity.

And a solid billet of aluminium.

I started machining.

And very carefully boring out the cavity for the cartridge valve.

Here it is with the thread tapped and the top chamfer for the outer O-ring.
Next is to chamfer each of the three steps down in there.

Very difficult to see what's going on while the cutter is in there and trying to position it where needed. This little camera helped.

Here it is all done. The chamfers are so that the O-rings squeeze in where they're meant to without being damaged.

Here's the actual cartridge valve. Size 10, 4-way. Which means it has three passages along the side and the forth is out the bottom end.

Here we've done the ports and mounting holes where bolts it onto the hydramotor, and are drilling a passage from the cavity to the port.

When drilling holes starting on a slope, you need to use an end mill to start with until there is a flat surface for the drill to be able to continue without wandering.
The ESSENTIAL thing here is to ensure the passages into the cavity safely go between the O-rings on the cartridge. Otherwise it'll leak between circuits and not work as intended.

This passage could only be done from the outside and later plugged. I've managed to make this using only one of these plugs. The original one had four.

There's a restrictor disc between the valve and hydramotor. It is to help control descending speed. So there's counterbores for it to fit into.

A big challenge I had was that there wasn't room to simply screw a fitting inline with the end of the cartridge for the return line. So I made the manifold just 2mm longer than the cartridge and bolted this stainless plate over it.

Under it is the larger hole for the cartridge, the smaller hole is a passage leading to the new return port. And around them is a groove for an O-ring to seal against the plate.

From this angle you can see the 2mm gap between the end of the cartridge and end plate surface where the oil exits.

This passage was a challenge. Because of the angle I could only use 4mm diameter to fit between the cartridge O-rings. It's meant to have 1/4" passages, which would be fine if coming in square. So I did two 4mm holes side by side and removed the bit between them to get the 4mm x 9mm oblong passage.

So here it is all assembled. Much more compact.

Now you can see why it needed the plate on the end instead of the hose fitting. It's almost touching the winch housing.

And the solenoids only protrude beyond the end of the hydramotor by it's retaining nut. Best I could do.
Also, the shoulders of the manifold are flush with the back surface of the winch housing. Which will make it easy to seal into the cradle later, with only the taller part with the hose fittings protruding.

So there you have it. I impress myself sometimes. :D
Cheers, Dave.

Toyholden
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Toyholden » May 16th, 2013, 6:33 pm

Thats some realy impressive work.... Well done! :thumb:
______________**BUILT NOT BOUGHT & FULLY ENGINEERED**______________
Toyota SURF 94 > 308 V8 - TH350 > SNAKEracing 4IN Lift Kit > 30mm Body Lift
Mickey Thompson 33x12.5xR15 MTZ'S + Micky Thompson Dick Cepec 15x8 Rims

No Fn Idea
Need to get out more

Unread post by No Fn Idea » May 16th, 2013, 7:46 pm

Holy Guacamole!!!! - that is soooo cool!

mickkk
Here and there

Unread post by mickkk » May 16th, 2013, 10:36 pm

Seriously, don't know why this build it taking so long.... how hard can it be haha

The whole build is crazy. I reckon you could post up what jobs are getting in the way of you getting more done on this truck and you will have 1/2 of the forum putting up fences and mowing lawns around your place.

monkeybucket
Part of the furniture

Unread post by monkeybucket » May 16th, 2013, 11:10 pm

Stone the crows Martha!! This blokes the deal... Nice work Loving the updates. :thumb: Just print this thread out and you have yourself a novel to sell once your done. :D
Cheers
Chris.

Off road when I'm good...in the shed when I'm naughty.

South West All Terrain ... www.swat4x4.com

Return to “Members Rides, Buildups, and Projects”