Can your vehicle be identified?

Whether it's your first tourer or a hardcore playtruck, show us your vehicle or what you're building inside, and keep us up to date on your mods as they happen!
oversite
Need to get out more

Re: Can your vehicle be identified?

Unread post by oversite » February 6th, 2013, 2:33 pm

I just had a quick thought and right or wrong Iam going to post it.

If you take a photo of your illegal car (not mine) and post on Facebook and a forum, even if you black out the number plates someone could find you!

Using the image posted on a forum you can search for the same inmage on the internet (google image search), and if the origional poster has also put in on there facebook page google will find them and then you can get there name!

So if your trying to hide dont post the same image anywhere else on the net.

evaredy
Been here a while

Unread post by evaredy » February 7th, 2013, 11:51 am

worthy wrote:evaredy
Also putting you home address in your GPS, thiefs know where to go, they know you are at the shops, thats where they pinched it from. I always put the "home" address as the centre of town, shops, pub etc. If you need the GPS from there you need shooting.

Ha Ha you are right, although with some people it wouldn't surprise me.

I just can't understand why people put so much information about themselves online. We like to cycle and use the GPS on the bike to log speed, distance etc, there are a lot of programs out now like Endomondo, Sports Tracker and others. People upload there logs to the internet with them showing exactly where they leave from there house, it is an open invitation to have someone call around and not only knock off your bike, which can be worth quite a few thousand, but also anything else that is valuable.

chris_stoffa
Need to get out more
Location: Wandering in the Wilderness of the Western Burbs of Melbourne., VIC

Unread post by chris_stoffa » February 7th, 2013, 12:51 pm

Or knock off your missus.............. either way that is :lol:

If your phone has the ability to locate you and you suspect the missus is not always were she should be , turn it off ;)

Or alternatively you might want to turn it on on hers for obvious reasons :lol: or she vice versa.

Friend of family found out that way where their partner was, or shouldn't have been :eek:

Checked the GPS logs in the car ........... date , time , place , how long .................. All over !!
03 Bravo 2.5TD DCab

evaredy
Been here a while

Unread post by evaredy » February 7th, 2013, 2:06 pm

^^^ Bugger finding that out, although at times I would be happy for someone to take over :lol: People really don't understand just how much can be found out. Google have an app (can't remember the name) on the android that tracks friends and family, I stumbled across it by accident, it was already installed on my phone when I got it.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » February 7th, 2013, 2:15 pm

So who ever dreamt that Big Brother wasn't already watching??

As for pics and posting, don't forget that once you've posted something up on the internet, it's pretty much there for eternity!! :eek: I wonder how many people are going to be haunted for the rest of their lives by something they posted years ago & had forgotten about, or thought had already gone forever?? :purplex:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

chris_stoffa
Need to get out more
Location: Wandering in the Wilderness of the Western Burbs of Melbourne., VIC

Unread post by chris_stoffa » February 7th, 2013, 2:17 pm

^^^^ oddly it was the GPS unit that the partner had insisted be installed in the vehicles for logging the vehicle use for Taxation purposes that unraveled it all. Plugged into the lighter socket . Quietly recording.

From start of the affair to the end of the relationship :eek:

They just simply forgot that it was in there :crazy:

So so, ever so easy :twisted: :lol:
03 Bravo 2.5TD DCab

DGREER62
Avid Poster

Unread post by DGREER62 » September 15th, 2015, 10:46 am

I know this topic is old but some of the rigs we all run here are probably safer and more roadworthy than factory original. I am all for keeping unsafe vehicles off the roads. I mean many of us place our families and grandkids in our cars, do these idiots out there really think we want to place them in harms way? I have plenty of respect for law enforcement but to troll around on boards just to catch out a couple of hard core four wheelers is a total waste of my tax dollars. And to those that like to DOB on us.........stop being so jealous and spend some hard earned money on your ride, then you don't have to hate on ours!

Presto77
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Presto77 » November 11th, 2015, 8:51 pm

I have a battle with the wife all the time about putting too much information on facebook about our movements, and have to agree that we shouldn't have to be worried about a-holes using social media against us - drives me mad!!!!

typhoeus
Need to get out more

Unread post by typhoeus » November 12th, 2015, 7:37 pm

Presto77

The A***holes you talk about are actually be the social media organisations!!! Google, Microsoft, Ebay, face book, Youtube and others all try to link your activities together to build a profile on you. That's why I dont link any of them together. I log in to each with a different name & password. It may be more tedious, but its more secure.

Return to “Members Rides, Buildups, and Projects”