Can your vehicle be identified?

Whether it's your first tourer or a hardcore playtruck, show us your vehicle or what you're building inside, and keep us up to date on your mods as they happen!
ERASER
Need to get out more

Re: Can your vehicle be identified?

Unread post by ERASER » April 7th, 2012, 11:08 pm

Can my car be identified, hell yeah. Im not covering up a plate that costs me money to have on there (good old nsw). As for the authorities i dont care, im 100% legal and engineered. As for the theives, well your welcome to try..........

my lux is only good for driving through puddles and i dont know anything.........
My Hilux

ranger2452
Need to get out more

Unread post by ranger2452 » April 8th, 2012, 9:32 am

Plus its something Wayne doesn't have lol
W.A .......whingers anonymous
Coffs harbour.....4wd capital of the WORLD
Ranger2452 aka rebadgedmazda2452

Robdeo
Avid Poster

Unread post by Robdeo » April 10th, 2012, 12:15 pm

IMHO, you're better off blanking your plates regardless of whether or not it's legal. I sure have and will continue to do so with mine. Not just forums, facebook, etc as well. Data on the internet is effectively no longer yours.

Particularly if you post where you live or are going away. Anyone who browses the site can see that, not just other owners.

It's horribly sad, but currently that's how it is.

The Missus
Avid Poster

Unread post by The Missus » April 10th, 2012, 2:34 pm

Yes it can. It's unique in many ways and we have both put our hearts and souls and hard earned into building it up to be the vehicle we want it to be. This car is our runaway machine - our kids are almost grown and ready to move out and we are looking forward to being a couple again.

So, in the interests of my peace of mind, and the safety of any would-be thieves or vandals, we don't post photos of the vehicle or give too much information about where we live. We do talk about where we play but then it's a big playground and we have lots and lots of playmates out there.

I can tell you now though that if anyone ever tries to take anything from it or deliberately damage it in any way I will not hesitate to hunt them down and deal with them myself. I'm pretty sure we still have a cattle prod in the garage somewhere and I still know how to use it.
Adventure before dementia!

Shaker4x4
Need to get out more

Unread post by Shaker4x4 » April 10th, 2012, 3:04 pm

Well, I'm still legal. It's not the scammers and dobbers that concerns me, it's the cops on the road where your chances of getting pinch for certain mods is far greater. Good reason not to tick anyone off in forums, they can get nasty, but if they attack you character and don't follow forum rules, certainly any forum is a place for all to feel comfortable and rather than being nasty, ask a mod or admin for assistance. If you run illegal mods, keep them to yourself. Certainly the road transport authorities read open public forums too. It may not even be a disgruntled member doing the dobbing. As for number plates being hidden, sure it reduces chances of people taking advantage, but somewhere down the line, you'll be on youtube or have a photo uploaded by someone else and there goes that idea. So, if you don't want to worry, keep it all in perspective and don't cross any lines. Some don't care and wait till their vehicle is called up and then fix things. If they get pinched on the spot, the fines and licence points are not a huge deterant and they are happy to lump them.

Shakes.

gqjay
Part of the furniture

Unread post by gqjay » April 16th, 2012, 12:06 pm

Shaker4x4 wrote: Good reason not to tick anyone off in forums, they can get nasty,
Shakes.
Its happened before where someone was reported to the authorities by another forum member. Its on every forum where as soon as someone gets behind a keyboard they seem to know everything about anything. I love reading it though, its a good giggle. Some can't just the fact there wrong or there is a 100 other opinions on here. And it leads to bands and life bands..

As mentioned posting your car here or driving the streets, you have the same risk. And i've been taking that risk many many years. Its my problem and not anyone else's. But unfortunately there are many people out there like this, that just cant mind there own business.

Brades
Been here a while

Unread post by Brades » November 19th, 2012, 3:46 pm

Makes me want to delete my build-up thread... I where I can remove the number plate, but that's just downright rude!

How legal do you think Roothy's 'Milo' would be? I doubt that would pass the pits!
Brades
--------------------------------------------------------------
2010 76 LandCruiser GXL Build-Up:
http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=187&t=136912
YouTube - 76 Series Videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/BradesR31
--------------------------------------------------------------

monkeybucket
Part of the furniture

Unread post by monkeybucket » November 19th, 2012, 4:10 pm

Geez you cant miss my car. :D
If you want to attack my character get in line. :p
I must have over 200 good friends that I have known for more that 20 years all over WA and the country that can back my good, honest nature. :drink: :drink:
If someone wants to steal something, locks are only to keep honest people out. :irked:

Protect yourself by getting to know everyone around you. A lot of people never know their neighbors. I almost know all the residents on my street yet I have only live in this particular street for 3 years. :thumb:
Cheers
Chris.

Off road when I'm good...in the shed when I'm naughty.

South West All Terrain ... www.swat4x4.com

Aaron Schubert
Need to get out more

Unread post by Aaron Schubert » November 19th, 2012, 7:47 pm

Blanking out your plates is a waste of time, in my opinion. All it takes is one person to make use of 'public photography' when you are four wheel driving, chuck it online and the hours you have spent covering your plates up is null and void.

Aaron
Looking for somewhere to go 4WDing in WA? Check out WA 4WD Tracks

My 80 Series Landcruiser

OIIIIIIIO
Been here a while

Unread post by OIIIIIIIO » November 27th, 2012, 4:47 am

another forum im a member of, has its own hidden section, where only an approved member of the forum can see it. its a tops idea. join site use all forums like normal, then one day, there is a hidden section there. people can only view and post in it when a mod, approves them to do so. works a treat for keeping tossers out of the good stuff.
[quote="Bonk"]

The shower fart is most potent because you don't hold back. You give it everything you've got.
It's a steamed air-poo, and it smells like the 3rd layer of hell.[/quote]

evaredy
Been here a while

Unread post by evaredy » February 5th, 2013, 10:13 am

I always block out the plates on my car if I post pics of it.

The problem is these days there is too much info readily available about people, take GPS for instance, people sometimes post GPS tracks but these tracks sometimes start from their house, so it makes it easy for anyone who wants some free stuff, they know what type of car you have with all the fruit and they know exactly where they can get it. Facebook is another, why people post there correct names etc etc is beyond me, If you ever want to find out things about others it really doesn't take much.

chris_stoffa
Need to get out more
Location: Wandering in the Wilderness of the Western Burbs of Melbourne., VIC

Unread post by chris_stoffa » February 5th, 2013, 10:27 am

^^^^
A qwik example of public info is the "stick family" - people willing identify how many live in a house, if they have a dog and sometimes how big it is. Some women are silly enough to indicate that there is no male in the house, that " the situation is vacant" by announcing it above the family and other silly stuff. If they had half a brain they would stick a "Dad" in there.
How hard is it to work out that there is no one home when the figures match the bodies in the car as it drives away.
Particularly those that indicate the kids sports - house is vacant on saturday morning for football or basketball, tennis, cricket ,horse riding - open invite for a B&E or worse

Worth a thought?

Better still, peel the damn things off.
03 Bravo 2.5TD DCab

Deans4by

Unread post by Deans4by » February 5th, 2013, 2:01 pm

I like this stick figure family got it on the back window of the ute. :D :thumb:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Who cares what 4wd you have just get out and use it.
MK Triton 2.8L TD a few mods goes alright.

Not_An_Abba_Fan
Been here a while

Unread post by Not_An_Abba_Fan » February 6th, 2013, 11:27 am

You can have all the photos and info about your car you like. It can be as illegal as you like, if there are no photos of it on a gazetted road, you are safe. Just because you car is licensed and very modified, unless you are caught driving on a gazetted road, it doesn't matter what you have done to it. We are into the burnout scene and there are quite a few burnout cars that are actually licensed but never see the road, these things are not even close to roadworthy.

But it still takes a pretty low member to report a fellow member. Having said that, my car tends to stand out a bit, it's not legal, and I have been given the look by a few coppers, but I suppose because I don't drive it everyday, I'm pretty much left alone. At the moment it's in the shed copping some GQ diffs, so it's not being driven at all.
Southwest Performance Exhaust

worthy
Part of the furniture

Unread post by worthy » February 6th, 2013, 11:41 am

evaredy
Also putting you home address in your GPS, thiefs know where to go, they know you are at the shops, thats where they pinched it from. I always put the "home" address as the centre of town, shops, pub etc. If you need the GPS from there you need shooting.
2000 Prado 3.0LTD Lifted and Locked
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=87167
Have IFS, Will Impress

Return to “Members Rides, Buildups, and Projects”