Does a steel bullbar need a winch cradle?

Whether it's your first tourer or a hardcore playtruck, show us your vehicle or what you're building inside, and keep us up to date on your mods as they happen!
shauny_raff
I'm new, be nice!

Does a steel bullbar need a winch cradle?

Unread post by shauny_raff » August 24th, 2018, 2:29 pm

I know this is a very amateur question, but I have just bought a second-hand steel winch bar for my 98 gu. To mount a winch to it, do I need a winch cradle or does the winch bolt directly onto the bar? If I need a cradle are there any suggestions to reliable yet affordable options, or if I bolt it directly, what exactly do I need to do? Sorry, I am only new to the 4x4 world

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: Does a steel bullbar need a winch cradle?

Unread post by Peter Aawen » August 24th, 2018, 4:52 pm

Hi shauny, the short answer is that if it's not a Winch Bar originally, then you'll need a winch cradle or need to modify the bar to carry the winch & winching loads! Since you are telling us that the 2nd hand bar you've acquired is a Winch Bar, you just might be lucky! :thumb:

Do you know that for sure that it was designed & manufactured as a Winch Bar? What features make you think that's the case? Got any pics of the bar & more importantly, the inside of the front middle panel where a fairlead would go? You should be able to clearly see the heavier metal &/or bracing in there; the cut-outs & supports for a fairlead; the re-inforcing &/or plates for the winch mounting bolts & the holes or slots the bolts will need to go thru; and the full height single piece heavy metal vertical spars on each side of the winch that will allow the bar mounts to be braced back into & supported by load bearing plates or collars where they bolt onto the chassis rails. Without all that or a suitably strong alternative, your bar probably won't be up to carrying the extra weight of the winch itself, let alone the potential loads that winching could place upon it.... and I can tell you that there is very little to match the leaden sinking feeling in your gut when you are sitting in the drivers seat of a vehicle hanging off a winch cable and the supposed 'winch bar' suddenly parts company with the vehicle & starts winching itself off up the hill away from you! :eek: :o
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Return to “Members Rides, Buildups, and Projects”