1989 Nissan Patrol y60 long

Whether it's your first tourer or a hardcore playtruck, show us your vehicle or what you're building inside, and keep us up to date on your mods as they happen!
Animal89
Here and there

1989 Nissan Patrol y60 long

Unread post by Animal89 » July 21st, 2018, 8:05 am

Hi all. I like to show U my green frog :) it's a 1989 nissan patrol y60 wagon ( or a GQ as i see it's called here) im the third owner of the car, first was a guy in belgium and the car then drove to PL and the guy that i bought it from. In PL car was towing a trailer with a horse, did some driving as a pilot car ( they convoyed combine harversters) and was also the third car in the family. Now its mine and i hope to have it for a long time. Frog is a cargo truck without back windows (and there were no back seats, but the previous owner put in seats from an audi or vw) "frog" has done almost 412,000 kms but the engine was replaced after a little explosion in the RD28T... the new engine has maybe half of the body's mileage... Timing belt, water pump, pulley, clutch, & iron man shocks were all installed new 20K km ago (as the previous owner said) i gave my frog new oil in the engine, gearbox, and the transfer case, new transfer case front and back seals, alternator and power steering belts, and i repaired a few electrical problems. Frog has got two set of wheels, 31" a/t's and 32 m/t's - the plan is to sell both sets and buy a new set of 33" a/t's
Now maybe some pics:
The First day, when i bought her
I was looking for something to do under the car :) funny thing is that when i cleaned everything under thecar, there was 97kg of dry mud.
Inside there are front patrol seats and a back seat from an audi or vw. Everything is done in woodland camo :)
Now the best part.... Suspension...
The Previous owner said that the suspension was too soft so he welded in some kind of support or something on axles and put in shorter springs.....
Now i'm collecting the parts to restore everything to the light side of the force .
I have front and rear axle tubes, iron man 2" springs, a few polybushes, and much more..
Now. The frame was cleaned, i cut some rust out, and welded in a new part. Whole frame was painted with epoxy primer and black rubber paint so i know that the frame is now in good condition ( i must clean her inside and put some paint in there too) i've changed the fuel hose from the tank to the fuel filter cause it had a little leak. Now i'm on vacation, so the frog is on the sea side with us
But when we get back, i have a few days to fight with the axles and coils. Next step will be an expedition roof trunk. Im happy that i'm doing everything by myself :) sorry for my poor english. :p

Animal89
Here and there

Re: 1989 Nissan Patrol y60 long

Unread post by Animal89 » July 24th, 2018, 3:20 am

i have found a few pics so i'll write a thing or two :D
as i wrote before the transfer case had a few leaks:
that was first that was repaired 'cause the previous owner was just using the car, so the oil from t/case was leaking and leaking and t/case was almost dry..
Second thing was the weak points on the frame. One was hidden in the mud:
this was the place when the mud was always wet... as it turned out, it was fuel. There was a hole in the fuel pipe and someone put in a rubber hose that was leaking, that's how it looked when i cleaned it up:
and the frame:
whole element was cut out and i welded in a new bit.
(i know my welding isnt perfect ;) ) next, whole frame was cleaned and i put on it rust stop liquid, and after 24 hours epoxy primer, and rubber conservation. Unfortunately i dont have a place to take the body off the frame so i must work piece by piece...

Animal89
Here and there

Unread post by Animal89 » July 24th, 2018, 3:21 am

Whole fuel pipe was changed:
As U can see the whole bottom of the car was covered in mud.. There was A LOT of mud :D when i cleaned it up and swept all the mud away from my under car, there was 97kg of dry muuuudddd :P
U can see on the picture that between fuel tank and its cover there was only muuudddd:
The tank and its cover was also cleaned up and painted.
Previous owner said that the diff lock isnt working 'cause he could not turn it off... so they disassembled everything:

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » July 24th, 2018, 4:14 am

Thanks for the pics & story so far Animal, looking good! (Btw, your English is pretty good too, better than some who were born to it!)

That rear suspension mod because it was too soft is something else, I'm glad you're fixing it properly, and with a 2" lift too! You certainly cleaned out a LOT of mud from underneath the car!! How deep was the pit with all that in it? I bet it was a lot deeper once you got it all shifted out! The repairs on the chassis (frame) look pretty good, but I hafta ask if the previous owner replaced the top spring perches, or if he didn't, have they been damaged too? Here in Aust we often find those top spring seats have started to tear out of the main chassis rail because the stresses of 4Wheeling can be just too much! There are lots of after-market braces & reinforcing kits available here, and quite a few different home handyman or back-yard mechanic fixes too! I hope your Frog's rear upper spring mounts aren't so bad they need fixing!

Anyhow, it's all looking like you've made a great start, AND you had a few days at the sea side too! Great stuff!
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Animal89
Here and there

Unread post by Animal89 » July 24th, 2018, 5:15 am

I think im doing it properly. I bought stronger coils cause there will be roof rack, massive front and rear bumper and few other heavy parts so i bought rear coils + 100kg and front +80kg. and there will be 2" lift on springs and 2" coil spacers. I think that my shockcs will survive this.. I must check what schocks do i have :P About top spring perches.. i know that he didnt replace it. He didnt use car off road too much so they're in place and in good condition. Me also didnt go off road too much 'cause suspension is too hard to flex . I will go off road more when i fix coils.. (cause front suspension also has got this "mod") About reinforcing kits.. in PL there are not much of this... workshops or 4wd shop's are welding such parts in order by customer... So why pay them when i can made it by mysefl if i want.

Animal89
Here and there

Unread post by Animal89 » July 28th, 2018, 10:34 pm

news ;)
After few day and nights, rear suspension is almost done... almost cause i welded diff lock actuator and it works for a while but i think that welding burned rubber inside and after i put everything together it doesnt work :( i bought used one but it arrive to me tuesday with front axle tube..
few pics:
i did not know that whole axle is so heavy...
...mentioned diff lock actuator...
and rear calipers repair kit, brake pads:
and finished calipers:
Now car is waiting for diff lock actuator and front axle tube...

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » July 29th, 2018, 9:15 am

Well it certainly looks like your Patrol needed the work done up the back end!! Were those calipers doing anything? I'm surprised you had brakes at all!! I do hope the front end is not that bad!!
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Animal89
Here and there

Unread post by Animal89 » July 29th, 2018, 6:07 pm

Previous owner said that they reapaird front brakes and car braking was good. They said that rear brakes must be done so i knew what may be inside :) i must clean brake force regulator also cause it looks like its welded :):) Tommorow i start with front suspension and brakes.. We will see whats inside...

Animal89
Here and there

Unread post by Animal89 » August 1st, 2018, 12:42 am

... still waiting for new diff lock actuator :( so i put new brake lines:
and little refreshed wheels:
...and still waiting for actuator :(

Animal89
Here and there

Unread post by Animal89 » August 2nd, 2018, 8:16 am

Finally, the actuator arrived today and it's on the car already. Tomorrow also the brake force regulator will be here and if everything works fine the back of the car will be done. Second thing to do will be the front.. The axle tube arrived and it's cleaned and painted now:
But before I put it on the car I must drive somewhere :)

Animal89
Here and there

Unread post by Animal89 » August 17th, 2018, 7:06 am

Some news :D
My holidays have ended so my time to work with the car also ended.. But!!
I have a few days to do something:
but when I disassembled whole axle, everything looks like this:
All seals are dead, water and rust everywhere... When I put car on jack the front wheels were shaking... OMG!!! I love this job...

cbd
Here and there

Unread post by cbd » August 17th, 2018, 8:18 pm

G'day Animal
Love ya work!

Animal89
Here and there

Unread post by Animal89 » August 18th, 2018, 6:55 am

yeah i love it too :D
Especially when i see this:
Mix of sand, oil, water nad grease...
Today i dissasemble rest of the axle, and put everything in place with new axle:
Now front arm's, shocks, steering damper and axle housing is cleaned and primered and tommorow will be painted and put in the car i hope :D

Animal89
Here and there

Unread post by Animal89 » August 22nd, 2018, 3:46 am

Finally !! My "frog" is working.. and its working fine. Difference between old suspension with dead seals and bearings and everything new with 2" coils and spacers is gigant... few pics from work:
Before:
After:

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » August 22nd, 2018, 9:39 am

Looks good! :thumb: It must feel a little more '4WD Capable' now, & should have a few less thumps & bangs coming from underneath when you take it off the blacktop! ;)

Return to “Members Rides, Buildups, and Projects”