Setting Up a Lift Off Canopy - Getting 12V Vehicle Power In

Whether it's your first tourer or a hardcore playtruck, show us your vehicle or what you're building inside, and keep us up to date on your mods as they happen!
oznevil
I'm new, be nice!

Setting Up a Lift Off Canopy - Getting 12V Vehicle Power In

Unread post by oznevil » April 7th, 2017, 1:27 pm

G'day Everyone,

I purchased a lift off canopy last year and picked it up in December, I've since been working on the insides, getting it setup for camping.

The plan is to have it ready to go, so that on a moments notice, the Mrs and I can throw it on the back of the Ute and head off with little preparation. I have MS so it's important to make life as easy as possible.

So far I have most of the shelving work done, MSA fridge slide installed (got the DS60 so I can upgrade to a 60L or 80L Engel later, currently my 42L fits in there ok).

Also installed is a 240V system as I am yet to install the 12V system and am heading off to a powered campsite for the Easter Weekend and need my fridge.

I eventually plan to install a 12V system with 2 x Deep Cycle Batteries (min 100ah), 240w Roof Mounted Solar Panel and this REDARC Manager 30 system.

My Question:
What I would like to know is how people have connected their canopy to the 12V vehicle power, how did you get the power into your canopy (e.g.: Anderson Plug system)? Remembering this is a lift off canopy so it can't be hard wired.

Would also love to see your pics.

oznevil
I'm new, be nice!

Re: Setting Up a Lift Off Canopy - Getting 12V Vehicle Power

Unread post by oznevil » April 7th, 2017, 1:50 pm

Here's a few more pics of the build so far:

Sliding Drawer for the gas stove and for other uses I'm sure I will find.
Plastic Boxes from Bunnings, have small sidewall space to optimise storage and lids to keep things inside.
Top shelf needs a barrier to keep everything on the shelf in transit.
Canopy door looks in the plastic boxes and the stove.

The alloy drawer (900mm wide x 1m deep) was originally fitted where the kitchen is, but I relocated it as it was a better use of space. The space on top will be for things like groceries and light weight gear to keep the weight over the rear axle down.

On the other side will be general storage, eventually there will be 2 modular water tanks installed to give me 84L of water storage and a 12V pump system plumbed to the kitchen area and possibly to a gas hot water system (to keep the Mrs happy when we are away for a few days).

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » April 7th, 2017, 3:19 pm

I've seen a lot of the lift-off camper backs connected via Anderson plugs; quite a few of them running 2 plugs, one to connect to the car battery/s & the other to connect vehicle power to the onboard charging system - not that you couldn't really do that with just one plug, but it does mean that if you decide to go anywhere with only the naked tray you can still plug in your fridge etc when you don't have the 'house batteries' in the camper on the back as well to run things off... The combinations & options are innumerable, just think carefully about what you want to do with th vehicle &/or camper & design something to suit.... :thumb:

Ps: it's all lookin good so far!! Got any pics of it on the vehicle?
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

hoyks
Avid Poster

Unread post by hoyks » April 7th, 2017, 8:50 pm

This is what I did.
Cable run from the battery to a circuit breaker, battery isolator, then under the floor to an anderson plug that is screwed to the head board of the tray.

Anderson plug from the second battery in the camper to a fuse, through a gland in the canopy to seal it and it plugs into the headboard.

Only thing I would consider changing is to turn the anderson plug 90 degrees. That way if you forget to unplug it when taking the canopy off, it will disconnect its self.

oznevil
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by oznevil » April 11th, 2017, 11:06 am

Thanks Peter and Hoyks,

Will have some more pics of it on the ute after this (Easter) weekend that I will post.

Hoyks, I am thinking of installing a Trailer Vision 50Amp Panel mount housing like this to the headboard of my canopy, that will give me the 90 degree angle you talk about, I would possibly remove the flap/door to reduce the amount sticking out as the plug sits inside the housing and doesn't protrude into the door.

Also I am thinking about adding a panel mount 7 pin round trailer plug, that will give me 7 wires into the canopy so I can add lights (stop, turn & reverse) to the back of the canopy and also run an ignition/acc wire for the Manager 30 system. Maybe even a reverse camera system one day.

oznevil
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by oznevil » June 29th, 2017, 12:28 pm

G'day guys,

So here is the method I used to get 12V from the alternator/main battery to the canopy and it works great as tested on our last trip up to Grafton to do the Old Grafton - Glen Innes Road.
Canopy_Build_09.JPG
Canopy_Build_10.JPG
Canopy_Build_11.JPG
This was done using a Trailer Vision Anderson Plug Flush Mount Housing:
Check them out here!

This is one of our camp setups on our round trip from Maitland NSW to Grafton, across the old Grafton to Glen Innes Road and back via Dangars Falls near Armidale.
Camp_Setup_01.jpg
A trip I would highly recommend people do.
Grafton Loop.png
-Todd
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Members Rides, Buildups, and Projects”