Bowel test and a Delica....

Whether it's your first tourer or a hardcore playtruck, show us your vehicle or what you're building inside, and keep us up to date on your mods as they happen!
BigDutchy
Need to get out more

Bowel test and a Delica....

Unread post by BigDutchy » December 1st, 2016, 9:08 pm

Hello all

So, the Jeep is gone. You might have read about it in another thread. I tried hard to like it but I never fell in love with it. I was glad it went.

I have always like the Delica but my wife hates them. She finds them butt ugly.
I have to admit its not a new 200 series in the looks department.....

Anyway, at the start of this year my wife got very sick and was diagnosed with bowel cancer. She had a few operations and is now in remission. Healing will take a long time as she lost about 60cm's of her lower intestines.
But because of that disgusting bowel check, that you old farts over 50 can do for free, she is still here and no further treatment is needed.
We are a long way from being back to full health but we are on the way.

With all this in mind we sold the rooftop tent and Landcruiser and bought a camper trailer and the Jeep. Well, as you now know the Jeep is gone and the trailer is up for sale. After 3 nights of use we both did not like it at all.
Great trailer, great tent, lots of room but the towing bit didn't cut it for us.
However my wife needs to have a rest at times and some privacy to look after herself.
The idea of a campervan became quite serious. We had a look at a few but my wife kept pointing out that we couldn't take it anywhere then only normal roads, no beach etc.
So, I showed her the inside of a converted Delica campervan on the intergoogle....
She loved the idea of a 4WD bed on wheels. When I showed her the outside she
told me that when you sit inside you can't see the outside.....
We started looking for a low KM Delica LWB TD auto with a high roof for not more than $10K
And here she is our 1997 LWB High roof Delica.
I really like it. It ticks so many boxes for us. I have started building a bed, drawers etc. It's really looking good.
Next week it will be serviced. I want my mechanic to go over the whole thing. It needs to be spot on!
More photo's to follow
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BigDutchy
Need to get out more

Re: Bowel test and a Delica....

Unread post by BigDutchy » December 1st, 2016, 9:30 pm

The bed is in. The drawers in place. Kitchen is in the right drawer clothing etc in left.
Tools and other gear I am not using much under the bed inside.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BigDutchy
Need to get out more

Unread post by BigDutchy » December 1st, 2016, 9:32 pm

I just bought a 180cm long roof rack and an 3x3m awning.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » December 2nd, 2016, 9:32 am

Hey Big D, that Delica's lookin' pretty smart there!! :thumb:

I used to run a few L300's (both 2 & 4WD) & they are bloody versatile vehicles, as well as being far more capable off-road than most think!! And the Delica's are really just the grown up version of the L300's with a few more creature comforts added & some 'smarter' & newer 4Wheeling gear bolted on!! It probably won't be all that long before it astounds you with how far it'll go in the rough stuff.... & how 'different' it can be to drive!! Going down really steep hills, yeah, that can be scary, but it's really eeeaaaasy once you reallise the rear wheels will follow, even if they aren't on the ground!! Just so long as you don't brake too hard going down a steep hill while the rear wheels are a couple of feet in the air!! Don't ask me how I learnt that one!! :o

And with that relatively blunt nose - even tho it's not quite as short as the L300's, you can get soooo much closer to the scenery or that drop off/cliff face that is forcing you to turn in a really tight spot than you do with most other vehicles!! Getting up that close & personal can initially feel a bit uncomfortable if not downright scary at times, at least until you get used to how much closer to the extremities of the vehicle you, your front seat passenger, and all 4 tyres themselves are!! The tyres being right out near the corners & ends of the vehicle makes for pretty good stability & driving characteristics, at least until you hit steep side slopes, cos they make for phenomenal approach & departure angles - & they only get even better with a bit of a lift! But please do keep any lifting &/or roof loads small, the CoG can get really high pdq! Fitting slightly taller tyres & if necessary, changing the gearing to suit can be smarter/better than going for big suspension &/or body lifts, but pretty much whatever you do, the CoG & the ramp over due to that LWB will always be your limiting features & are probably going to mean you need to modify your driving line & style to suit just a little - even lots of experience driving a Pajero won't mean you don't need to re-learn how best to use the Delica's strengths rather than driving 'normally' & being caught short by it's restrictions (altho they certainly aren't 'weaknesses'!)

Oh, I hafta ask, which motor is in your Delica?? They came out with a few different versions, none of them real dogs, but some motors are fair bit better for off-roading than others, especially with the auto box there to make them that much better in the tough stuff!! And there are a lot of suitable parts, mods, etc that might not be strictly for Delica's that can be found amongst the gear that suits Pajero's, Tritons, & Challengers!! Things like LR fuel tanks, suspension lifts & up-grade shocks, even full length rock sliders (if you don't mind the 'different' look!) can be found to fit if you look hard enough, as well as lotsa other engine, driveline, running gear, & chassis mounted accessories, mods, & bits! So don't despair if something you particularly want can't be found specifically for a Delica, just check those other vehicle's parts & accessories listings - chances are, it'll be in there somewhere! ;)

Cheers, & I hope the Missus is OK now, stays well, & even keeps on getting better! Pass on our kind thoughts & best wishes too, that nasty little cancer really isn't kind to anyone, but we all wish her well!
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

BigDutchy
Need to get out more

Unread post by BigDutchy » December 2nd, 2016, 8:16 pm

My wife is doing well Peter. She is a tough cookie that girl.
Thank you for your well wishes!!

It's a 2800 Turbo Inter cooled? diesel smoking power house.

jimbo1969
Here and there

Unread post by jimbo1969 » December 3rd, 2016, 3:15 pm

after owning a Disco and currently an 80 cruiser, we bought a 98 delica to cart the kids around in. 6 years later its been great. There were a couple of learnings with weird and wonderful problems but we love it

typhoeus
Need to get out more

Unread post by typhoeus » December 6th, 2016, 8:42 pm

That thread title had me worried for a moment Dutchy . . . !
but I heard that lots of Mitsubishi stuff is interchangeable, so like Peter said, improving it shouldn't be too hard, and you'll get used to it.
Glad to hear the missus is good to go again, and that she is keen to get back into adventures again!!

Return to “Members Rides, Buildups, and Projects”