4WD Mid engine 3.9 Rover V8 VW Kombi

Whether it's your first tourer or a hardcore playtruck, show us your vehicle or what you're building inside, and keep us up to date on your mods as they happen!
BigDutchy
Need to get out more

Re: Mid engine V8 4WD VW Kombi

Unread post by BigDutchy » February 29th, 2016, 1:44 pm

Is that a gear box I see..... :redface: :lol:

rovervkombi
Here and there

Unread post by rovervkombi » February 29th, 2016, 2:22 pm

g'day Dutchy what gearbox?.

BigDutchy
Need to get out more

Unread post by BigDutchy » February 29th, 2016, 4:58 pm

The tool box.....sorry just being a smarta$$

rovervkombi
Here and there

Unread post by rovervkombi » February 29th, 2016, 5:09 pm

No worries. I thought I missed something. with the amount of different brands in the build I have named IT ECLECTIC.

typhoeus
Need to get out more

Unread post by typhoeus » February 29th, 2016, 5:21 pm

Hope your writing a repair manual as you go. . . If you ever sell it, you will need one to give to the new owner!!!

rovervkombi
Here and there

Unread post by rovervkombi » February 29th, 2016, 7:14 pm

Good evening Typhoeus. I have a partial list. on computer plus my head plus photobucket. so once its finished I will do a full list.

typhoeus
Need to get out more

Unread post by typhoeus » February 29th, 2016, 8:35 pm

After the amount of work you have put in to matching stuff up and working out what works etc, I don't expect you will forget, or need the manual, but the next guy will, or he will be bringing it back to you to fix forever. . . :urgh: :urgh:

rovervkombi
Here and there

Unread post by rovervkombi » March 1st, 2016, 7:53 am

Good morning all. After having this in the planning stage for 40 years & turning 67 this year I don't think it will be sold in my life time. It then goes to a new owner. To say this sounds cruel but, good luck!

OFF TOPIC THIS IS MY OTHER PROJECT ROVERV8 MID ENGINE TRIKE USING ALFA ROMEO AUTO TRANSAXLE & Di Dion REAR SUSPENSION. Portion of the frame is of a 650 Suzuki

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » March 1st, 2016, 8:44 am

:eek: Looks like you've got a busy time ahead of you in the shed!! A Mid engined 4WD Kombi, a mid engined trike (I dunno why you are doing it backwards, REAL trikes have the pair of wheels up front! Far better steering control. ;) Check out Can-Am Spyders! :D ) What else do you have going on in there?
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

rovervkombi
Here and there

Unread post by rovervkombi » March 1st, 2016, 12:16 pm

G'day Peter. hard to build a v8 reversed. diff wise. tell me bout ex services DVA I never expected to be treated like nobody by the Government of the country I served as a 16 1/2 year old in a war zone in the 60's

rovervkombi
Here and there

Unread post by rovervkombi » May 9th, 2016, 2:36 pm

Sorry for the double up I forgot I had posted the story earlier.
Last edited by rovervkombi on May 11th, 2016, 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Deans4by

Re: 4WD mid engine 3.9 rover v8 VW KOMBI

Unread post by Deans4by » May 10th, 2016, 6:52 pm

Hell yes, I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of the build up can't wait. :thumb:
Who cares what 4wd you have just get out and use it.
MK Triton 2.8L TD a few mods goes alright.

rovervkombi
Here and there

Re: 4WD Mid engine 3.9 Rover V8 VW Kombi

Unread post by rovervkombi » May 11th, 2016, 6:01 pm

Good evening all. bit of an update. After trying to get some aluminium plate folded I had to resort to trying it myself. starting with 2 bits of 4x4 I jacked the subi up & let it down onto the sheet to start the curve. then put it on a off road tyre & rim then pulled it in with tiedown strap & rubber mallet this worked enough to fold the edges down with 9cm to 7cm taper. I then had to form another piece to weld to this to cover the floor opening. Then I had to roll & fold a cover for the front of the engine box to go around the front of the engine box to cover the balancer distributor etc. It all came out pretty well given the tools at hand
The start of the curve
the required curve to clear the gearbox & transfercase
Putting the folds on
& it fits
the tech screws have been removed & welded after the rest was welded up
This is the front cover being rolled & folded it has 3 sets of folding rolling to get the shape in wanted
location for the engine cover this is temp as it will bolt to the front of the engine box
from the front seats got the fold in the middle right to follow the wall angle
these are the street tyres & rims. The rims cost $2.00 each then I swap a rat look roof rack & some seat tracks to have the blasted zinc & powder coated the tyres are the dearest things so far in the build
this is the box for the ECU & fuse boards. it was a 240v fusebox
this is the air intake box it will house the AFM & pod filter. air is fed in through the side via a hornet bonnet scoop
This is the current job sorting & shortening the harness the engine harness is almost a standalone unit so there will be 3 separate harnesses engine lighting & Ignition instruments
Fueltank is a long range Range Rover cut to allow it to slide into the position where the original tank sat this gives me room in the former engine bay for a VT V8 commodore radiator & fan assembly. I'm having a cover made to allow the fitting of a new outlet pipe with a filter on the bottom of it along with a swirl pot then it can be welded shut
I have changed direction so to speak. I'm now using an Audi. It is smaller & easier to fit & uses centre steer. The bracket will weld to the beam tubes along with angle bracket that bolts to original mounting holes on rack

rovervkombi
Here and there

Unread post by rovervkombi » July 5th, 2016, 8:01 am

G'day all. A small update, I have modified the Range Rover long range fuel tank to fit inside the kombi tank space to give more room for the radiator & retain the battery position. The person who built the tank must have been a roughy as the fuel pipe finished 5cms from the bottom of the tank & no swirlpot & no pipe filter fitted at the bottom of it. I had a new inlet flange made to bolt in. it will hold the return & pickup pipes.

rovervkombi
Here and there

Unread post by rovervkombi » August 7th, 2016, 7:33 pm

Good evening all. a bit of a catch up I have decided to ditch the kombi front torsion bars in favour of Coil over struts out of a current Ford Ranger.

I have used the original Nissan chassis to transfercase mounting brackets to finalise the position of case.

this will give an idea of the intermediate shaft size. I have to get a sedan unijoint yoke out of a corona or the like to get a smaller diameter tube to match the Nissan end

Return to “Members Rides, Buildups, and Projects”