4WD Mid engine 3.9 Rover V8 VW Kombi

Whether it's your first tourer or a hardcore playtruck, show us your vehicle or what you're building inside, and keep us up to date on your mods as they happen!
BigDutchy
Need to get out more

Re: 4WD Mid engine 3.9 Rover V8 VW Kombi

Unread post by BigDutchy » August 8th, 2016, 7:39 am

It's good that you know what you are doing....I am lost but love your engineering skills.

rovervkombi
Here and there

Unread post by rovervkombi » August 14th, 2016, 9:14 pm

Good evening all. been doing some mods on the kombi front suspension I redrilled the holes that mount the beam to the body to give it an extra 6cms of body lift. the VW uses flat spring plates as torsion bars in the front tubes these are weak from age * new ones don't help much to maintain the height I want. After some time researching 4wd front coilovers I came upon a set out of a late model Ford Ranger with a piece of 6mm thick plate I have been able to mount them to the front end. this will make the front a lot firmer. The existing bars will rotate free in the tubes & retain the control arms

This is the template to strengthen the top mount point

this is approx lift may have about another 3cm.

Last edited by rovervkombi on August 16th, 2016, 10:50 pm, edited 9 times in total.

rovervkombi
Here and there

Unread post by rovervkombi » August 16th, 2016, 9:36 pm

I spent today cutting the tailshaft down by 28cm & fitting a rear diff flange onto it to give me 2 bolt on flanges for diff & transfercase. I bent up a support for the centrebearing. the odd shape is to clear the gearbox.

rovervkombi
Here and there

Unread post by rovervkombi » August 25th, 2016, 9:00 pm

G'day all. A week of jacking up & letting down to set up the front end.
this is the front end sitting on original VW torsion spring plates

with the Ranger coilovers fitted

After posting pics of the coilovers sitting on the lower shock stud in the lower arm some of the VW blokes questioned the strength of the stud. After a lot of thinking & cutting out patterns I cam up with a part that will relocate the mount to the top of the stud & provide a sound base for it
This is the pattern formed to see how it would work.

these are the 4mm thick plates prior to assembly

Assembled unit it has a 25mm x 50mm tube inside that the stud fits into It also bolts up through the original swaybar hole & has a 25mm x 1.5 strip welded down 1 side for strength

This is how the coilover will sit on top of the arm.

rovervkombi
Here and there

Unread post by rovervkombi » July 9th, 2017, 6:45 pm

this is the FWD Finally sorted out inner CV's are modified Mitsubishi Magna the shafts are magna the outer CV's are standard rodeo same spline as magna. no cut & shut or custom axles $25.00 ea compared to quote of $800 $1000 to have some made the rack & pinion is Daewoo power the bevel box for the steering to come back from column & column are Mitsubishi L300.

The column has tilt to allow easier access to seat

rovervkombi
Here and there

Unread post by rovervkombi » July 12th, 2017, 3:27 pm

new bumpstops had to be made as the originals weren't close enough to the arms to work due to the beams being spread by 8CM's

rovervkombi
Here and there

Unread post by rovervkombi » October 31st, 2017, 2:30 pm

G'day all. after a lot of time trying to sort an intermediate shaft between the gearbox & transfercase this is the final unit. A Hilux double cardan joint with the gearbox input yoke welded to it. Also had the Nissan flange drilled & tapped to Hilux bolt pattern & a spacer ring machined to fit the 2 together

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » October 31st, 2017, 3:57 pm

I really hope you are carefully documenting what manufacturer's/model's/parts are going into making up each of these hybrid components, cos while it's looking more & more impressive every day, I can only shudder when I think of the potential minefield that could be waiting for you in keeping track of what's needed for ongoinging maintenance & repairs! :eek:

Still impressed with the build, & waiting to see this mid engined monsta Kombi hit the road with much anticipation; but I made the mistake of mixing & matching parts to get exactly what I wanted before, and then suffered the extreme trauma of trying to get the right bits together to sort a relatively minor repair issue around one of my hybrid concoctions.... only of course I no longer knew exactly what bits had gone into making it work in the first place! :crazy: So I really hope that you don't fall into the same trap! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

rovervkombi
Here and there

Unread post by rovervkombi » October 31st, 2017, 4:16 pm

Good afternoon Peter I have a very comprehensive list of the build on the build site forums etc plus plan in building back up parts such the above shaft & front drive shafts they are easy standard magna with rodeo outers & modified inner Magna's.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » October 31st, 2017, 4:21 pm

Bewdy! :thumb:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

rovervkombi
Here and there

Unread post by rovervkombi » October 31st, 2017, 4:25 pm

This is the rear diff centre VT v8 commodore LSD 3.08 ratio. the front diff is the same. I used the standard VW cv joints with an adaptor to mate up to the Commy cv's

Return to “Members Rides, Buildups, and Projects”