4WD Mid engine 3.9 Rover V8 VW Kombi

Whether it's your first tourer or a hardcore playtruck, show us your vehicle or what you're building inside, and keep us up to date on your mods as they happen!
rovervkombi
Here and there

4WD Mid engine 3.9 Rover V8 VW Kombi

Unread post by rovervkombi » February 28th, 2016, 7:40 pm

Good Evening all. My project is a 1976 Kombi with a 3.9 Litre v8 Toyota Hi Ace diesel alloy 5speed & a Nissan 720 divorced transfercase.The front & rear diffs re v8 IRS commodore 3.08 ratio LSD in the rear. I'm contemplating a LSD up front as well. The rear suspension is standard Kombi 1/2 shafts with adaptor rigs to bolt the VW CV joints to the Holden diff flanges. The front is modified VW beam torsion bar set up spread by 8cm to allow modified Holden rodeo spindles fit in between the ball joints. the front shafts are spigotted welded Holden & Rodeo. If there's enough interest I will post pics up from day 1 of the build. this will give you an idea of the front drive assembly .I will post a better 1 soon. I have been building this I consultation with a respected Engineer. He has sighted the front suspension mods & give the go ahead on using it in the build. Now it's the matter of bolting all the custom it's together.
Day 1 in the shed at my daughters next hers.

After lunch o the 1st day

This the front diff crossmember 5cm x 5cm tube simple set up I have fit bushes to the tube yet to mount to the chassis brackets

this is the modified spindle in front & standard rodeo in the back note the holes that needed to be changed & location. the process was to machine the VW holes out of their spindles the bore the same size holes to tolerance fit in the rodeo spindles. The VW has a camber concentric fitting that the balljoint sits in this had to be put in the bottom hole due to it's size

Last edited by rovervkombi on March 1st, 2016, 7:58 am, edited 5 times in total.

typhoeus
Need to get out more

Re: Mid engine V8 4WD VW Kombi

Unread post by typhoeus » February 28th, 2016, 8:16 pm

welcome to the forum mate, I must say, this will generate a bit of interest, as major engineering like this is notoriously hard to get registered, so seeing how you overcome these issues will be keenly followed. Good luck with it!!

BigDutchy
Need to get out more

Unread post by BigDutchy » February 28th, 2016, 8:19 pm

Hi mate,
Welcome to this forum. I like your project mate

rovervkombi
Here and there

Unread post by rovervkombi » February 28th, 2016, 8:31 pm

thanks for the welcome. Now that QLD is under NCOP the engineer has been very helpful right from the 1st phone call. When I 1st approached him QLD hadn't joined it. I was supposed to put an application to modify. He said if it was knocked back he would help appeal the decision. but before I did the form the change to NCOP came in. Now he can pass it on his own paper work.

setting up the Powersteering rack & pinion Audi a3 I think.

the start to modifying the spread on the front beam. This is with the standard end plates cut & sitting in a jig for the 8cm needed for the spindles

The ply template for the setting up of the beam
The watercut 12mm thick endplates welded to the tubes

The extractors I have to build from bends to fit the confined space between the engine & the support cradle.

rovervkombi
Here and there

Unread post by rovervkombi » February 28th, 2016, 9:34 pm

The rear brakes are Pajero. this conversion was so easy. I had the machine shop skim the VW hub carrier down approx. .5 mm & the inside the Pajero by about the same amount.

This is the VW carrier during the work

The caliper bracket. This fits over the hub

The parts needed to do the conversion

partial assembled

rovervkombi
Here and there

Unread post by rovervkombi » February 28th, 2016, 10:30 pm

With cutting the floor I decided to strengthen it with slide I supports for the engine cradle. They are made up from 3cm x 3m thick wall tube welded to 5cm x 5cm angle iron. This is the inserted into the floor supports & the angle sits on the chassis crossmembers.

this is with the support put in

All the way in

Engine transmission cradle. With this set up I will be able to remove the complete drive train out through the sliding door as a complete assembly.

feet in 2 camps
Been here a while

Unread post by feet in 2 camps » February 29th, 2016, 6:48 am

This is going to be a fascinating project to follow!

rovervkombi
Here and there

Unread post by rovervkombi » February 29th, 2016, 6:59 am

The engine transmission combination.
This is initial setup of the 2 transmissions.
the 1st intermediate shaft was made up using a group of parts from Toyota VW Nissan I have been looking at this & I may need to change it

this the maximum gap between the 2 trans.

The parts to make the intermediate shaft Toyota gearbox yoke VW cv joint VW bus drive flange Nissan tailshaft flange

partially assembled

complete

sitting position yet to be aligned on the mounts

rovervkombi
Here and there

Unread post by rovervkombi » February 29th, 2016, 7:20 am

1st mock up of the front drive. commodore IRS diff centre is now located to the left side to allow the tailshaft to clear the sump. the axles look bent because they are heater hose.

This is the start of building front mount crossmember for the rear diff if you see what I mean. some sort of Nissan bar bracket

Diff support using 2 Hi Ace gearbox mounts they are designed to hang the box off 1 on top of the box. So more than capable for what I'm using them for.

The rear tailshaft needed plunge this is what I'm using. A Datsun 180b halfshaft shortened to fit between the diff & transfercase it bolt to the commodore flange using a spacer ring inside of the flange as a locator

As it will sit in the chassis I cut a set of rails out of an old body to set up on

The CV joint adaptor I had made to bolt standard kombi CV to commodore diff flange

on the diff to test fit

nice fit

Last edited by rovervkombi on February 29th, 2016, 8:18 am, edited 9 times in total.

NZ LUX
Avid Poster

Unread post by NZ LUX » February 29th, 2016, 7:30 am

Don't know how far you'll be able to drive on heater hose axles! :lol: :lol:

Awesome build, this is really something different!

rovervkombi
Here and there

Unread post by rovervkombi » February 29th, 2016, 8:25 am

The engine side of the build
3.9 discovery engine with a couple of mods to make room
Electric waterpump full Davis Craig kit
remote rear mounted alternator shaft driven from the front.
Jeff Dellow bellhousing
McLeod concentric clutch cylinder I had to have an adaptor made to tolerance fit to use this on the diahatsu delta 10 &1/2 inch pressure plate the clutch plate is the same spline as Hi Ace box

thrust race mod to give it the proper face for the pressure plate

rear view

fitting sleeve up

rovervkombi
Here and there

Unread post by rovervkombi » February 29th, 2016, 8:35 am

Modifying the speedo drives to use the Toyota electric drive in the Nissan transfercase. To get these parts to combine into 1 unit the Nissan shaft had to be turned down & the slot enlarged. Then a sleeve made up to fit between the Toyota control unit & the hole for the drive.
the bits to put together

modified ready to assemble

As a unit. I have to have a relay type thing made to change from Toyota pulse to discovery to give the computer VSS signal

rovervkombi
Here and there

Unread post by rovervkombi » February 29th, 2016, 8:47 am

Engine room
The gearbox crossmember has to be cut & bent down with 2 cuts to sit on top of rover mounts there will be 4 0n the engine box combo & 3 on the transfercase

very simple engine mount brackets utilizing new disco rubbers

Waterpump blanking plate & thermostat housing

Bad pic but gives an idea of where the alternator will sit on the right rear head. 25mm aluminium rod for drive shaft. It will use a rubber steering coupling between the shaft & alternator to allow for slight misalignment. I still have to make the mounting bt=rackets for the bearings to run in. 1 will mount of the timing case the other of the inlet manifold bolts

4wd Hobbit
Been here a while

Unread post by 4wd Hobbit » February 29th, 2016, 10:06 am

Why didn't you just use a landrover, clutch, gearbox and transfer case - would have saved a lot of mucking around.

rovervkombi
Here and there

Unread post by rovervkombi » February 29th, 2016, 11:38 am

2 reasons not to use the landrover trans
1 no room
2 no good because of the need for Morse cable shifter linkages.

shifters are made up Tarago for gearbox Mitsubishi L300 for transfercase & Hi ace handbrake lever.

I had a quote to have a console box made after getting up I decided there must be something cheaper the tool box was more then 1/2 the price cheaper. A couple of cuts & in it went

Return to “Members Rides, Buildups, and Projects”