Jacobs 105 series dual cab

Whether it's your first tourer or a hardcore playtruck, show us your vehicle or what you're building inside, and keep us up to date on your mods as they happen!
105DualCab
Getting to know the place

Jacobs 105 series dual cab

Unread post by 105DualCab » March 21st, 2016, 4:55 pm

Hey everyone. Thanks for having a read.

Well, I have been into 4wding for a couple of years now, mostly been into falcons and fairlanes previously, and have built some pretty nice custom cars on a budget and by doing all the work myself. Ive always been working in the mechanical trade, at wrecking yards, repco, glaziers etc, and I love working on my own cars and being able to do them up.

I went for a bush drive with a mate one day in his 75 series and got the 4wd bug. Straight away I went and bought myself a 80 series GXL with the 1FZFE, 2 inch lift and an awesome paint job.

But I read some more, and didnt like the GXL options and trusting a button to lock in my 4WD so I sold that one after a few months of fun and bought a NA HZJ105 standard, next issue was that I didnt like the sluggish 1HZ so found a FZJ105 standard version and had that (and the associated fuel bill) for the past 8 months untill I spotted a 105 dual cab at the local car yard.

I had a chat with the car yard owner and worked out a deal. I traded in the FZJ and another car I had that wasnt being used enough and now I finally have a beast Im happy with.

It is a 2001 HZJ105 standard, the conversion was done in QLD, a young bloke bought it with aspirations to do it up until the engineering in NSW became too much, in the mean time he had a fresh 1HZ in a 75 ute with a new head and injector pump and a denco turbo kit that he swapped into it, but engineering was too much for him so he sent it up to the territory to get it sold through a car yard who he knew the owner of.

The engine was fully rebuilt about 12 months ago, with a new head and injector pump.

It has a 2 inch lift with terrain tamer shocks, and the tray is pretty plain looking, I have a plan to find and fit a hilux tub in the future. When the car yard got it it had a set of split rims on, so they put on 4 new sunraysia rims and some average tyres to pass rego.

It has a decent looking bullbar, scrub bars and steps fitted, It seems to have had a whack and bent the bullbar though so Ill look into straightening that out at some stage too.
105 Dual Cab 1HZ w/Denco Turbo
Check it out Here

105DualCab

Re: Jacobs 105 series dual cab

Unread post by 105DualCab » April 23rd, 2016, 1:18 pm

First thing on the list was a set of tyres, I found a set of 265/75/16 ST Max's on Facebook for $450. 4 second hand and one brand new, and got them fitted.

Went out on a hunting trip that weekend and got 6 roos and a full load of firewood on the tray. would have never witted all that in the wagon!

I found an EGT, oil pressure and boost gauge at supercheap on sale and snatched them up. Used the PVC pipe mount idea I saw somwhere here and fitted the EGT and boost so far. They work well and its really handy actually seeing the engine working instantly.

Boost sat on 8psi full boar and at 110 in 5th cruising boost sits on 5 and egts dont go over 350 unless i boot it to overtake.

Fuel economy was awesome, in the 1FZ I was getting 150km from $50 fuel, with this I get about 300.

I also fitted the xray vision 42" light bar, and I plan on fitting a 20" over the tray for a work light/ reverse light. WIll have to see though it may not mount easily.

I also have a pair of 90w Xray Vision Spotlights to fit up at some stage too, but I dont have the need for them yet to make it urgent.

Next is to get the oil pressure gauge fitted. I want a more accurate reading for a start and the factory one is a little "average"

Need to do a service too, I got a list of oils off here, and plan on using the VMX-M in the gearbox, and I got some Gulf Western Top Dog 15w40 on special at repco.

Heres a couple of photos of the rig. I hope to put up as many as I can as I go.
IMG_4310_opt.jpg
IMG_4311_opt.jpg
IMG_4312.JPG
My biggest plan is going to be to remove the tray, strip out the interior and go over the wiring with a fine tooth comb and work out any and all issues. The rear loom was just stuffed into the chassis so im going to tidy it all up and there was quite a bit thats been worn and rubbed through, which is probably the reason my tail lights play up.

At first I just had no parkers, then when I taped up some loom I had a christmas tree on the back lighting up everything when I hit the indicators. After a drive down a dirt road only the reverse light joins in with the left indicator. So there must be somthing going on there earthing out because the parker fuse pops as soon as I turn them on.

Also the tray seems to have been slapped on as its pretty average looking, and it sits crooked. So im going to cut off and completely redo all the cross bars and brackets.

The angle used was welded to the outside of the chassis, and the angle pointed out towards the tyre, so there was about a finger width between the edge and the tyre, so pretty much any flex just rubbed the tyre and at one point while hunting it locked the tyre up completely.

I trimmed it back and braced the plate but its still sticking outwards at the top, so all new tray mounts are gonna be the go.

It will also give me a chance to check out the sender in the sub tank too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Check it out Here

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » April 23rd, 2016, 3:56 pm

The vehicle itself looks & sounds pretty decent, Jacob :thumb:

But you are right about that tray.... it does look (& from what you tell us, sounds) pretty average! :eek:

Ahh well, nothing that can't be overcome, hey? Good bones underneath, just needs a bit of buffing the rough spots out! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

105DualCab

Unread post by 105DualCab » June 5th, 2016, 7:35 pm

Got a set of 285/75 Wrangler MT/R's Next want is a set of 16x8 rims with a -25 offset to push them out a little more.
20160605_175805.jpg
Went out for some fun in the mud and got stuck in a 100 meter mud trench. Gave it a red hot go but failed 3 times, a bloke with 35's made it so I guess as we all say, I wish I had an extra 2 inches! :lol:.

This resulted in the car being flooded 3 inches deep with muddy water, so I stripped out the vinyl, washed out about 50kg of mud, and cleaned it all up.

I removed the tray, neatened up all the rear wiring loom, wrapped and taped it up nice, taped up all the unused plugs, re routed it neater and patched up all the problems.
20160605_175633.jpg
For some reason when the chop was done there were a few strange parts done that made it seem to me that the job was done quick and/or cheap.

First one being that the rear wall plate was not cut out to suit the inside of the wheel arches. it was cut straight across, and with the new tires I found I had major issues with clearance now.

Second the front tray mount bar was made with angle that was welded to the outside of the chassis and left sticking out towards the tire, with clearance of about 1.5 inches to the tire with the square edge able to jam into the tire and lock it up under flex.

third was that for some reason they decided to cut off the factory body mount points and make up a cross bar instead.

I cut out the arches and found there was minimum weld holding the rear plate on, almost like it was tacked on and then bogged. So I joined it properly, and gave it a good coat of underbody spray deadener.
20160605_175621 edit.jpg
I have welded in a cross brace between the 2 mount bars and a block underneath to the chassis to strengthen it all up, then cut off the front mounts to create clearance again for the tires.
20160605_175652.jpg
I am going to cut off the cross bars under the tray and redo the mounts, this should drop the tray about 50mm and still allow for the same height clearance when I trim out some other areas above the tires.
20160605_175835.jpg
Ill trim the bottom edge of the rear angle so its not just sticking out.

Found a small crack and welded it up above the spring tower.

It seems the chassis has already cracked in the usual area, not really surprised and it confirms that this probably was a mines rig, the chassis has been plated and repaired though and the job looks good.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Check it out Here

105DualCab

Unread post by 105DualCab » June 5th, 2016, 7:48 pm

This was how the front mount used to be, the clearance from that bottom edge was about 30-40mm max. It was really weird from a design standpoint and looked like a quick unthought of slap up job, with splittys and rags there would have been heaps of clearance but with the wider tires it would foul with a small bit of flex.
20160605_175656 edit.jpg
Extra snaps
20160605_175643.jpg
20160605_175621.jpg
20160605_175753.jpg
20160605_175825.jpg
Check it out Here

105DualCab

Unread post by 105DualCab » June 5th, 2016, 7:52 pm

PITA only 5 per post...
20160605_175656.jpg
20160605_175716.jpg
20160605_175735.jpg
20160605_175845.jpg
Check it out Here

105DualCab

Unread post by 105DualCab » June 5th, 2016, 8:36 pm

Plans are..

4 inch stainless snorkel.
Possibly a custom airbox.
-25 offset rims and next set of tires will be 35's.
2 more lightbars, on the top bar of the tray, one facing foward, and one smaller facing back over the tray.
1 inch body lift and a 3 or 4 inch lift kit.

Want to do the body lift just to give it a little more wheel clearance and then either a 3 or 4 inch lift kit, Im not too sure which yet.

Mechanically, it has a weep behind the head, which im not overly fussed about just yet.

has a lot of blow by, so I need to take off the rocker cover, make sure the vent tabs have been bent as recommended for turboing the 1HZ.
Need to get a better catch can and plumb it so it drains to the sump too.

It has spring a leak from around the balancer area that is leaking all over the belts and spraying the alternator and up to the air box. so this is high priority. It drips onto the drag link and will eleave a 6- drip mark where ever parked right after being switched off.

I am considering replacing the crossover pipe that is an un plumbed water to air intercooler with just a 2.5 inch pipe.

I want to mount the gauges somwhere more permanent, possibly a custom pod in the centre of the dash, but I am thinking about just gluing them together and to the dash where they are now.

I got a new media unit with cam input so I will mount a reverse camera too.

I rough sprayed the back wall black and it looks ok, I might take it into the local shop and get a better job done on it.

Also the rear window cracked removing it so Im getting a piece of plexiglass cut out and fitting that in replacment.

Under the rubber seal was some rust on the corners and the centre bottom where the seal join was, so ill treat it and re cover that too.

Will update when I have completed all the customisations with the tray.
Check it out Here

105DualCab

Unread post by 105DualCab » December 12th, 2016, 7:10 pm

Update..

The car sprang a leak at the front crank seal.

Took it into the mechanic for some TLC. Gave them a list of other stuff to do as well.

Welded up the cracked panhard rod mount.
Replaced the front arm bushes.
Fixed the rear head leak (rocker cover gasket)
Replaced belts
and did a full oil and filter refresh.

Engine armour
VMX-M
EPX 80w90
LSX90

It was there for 4 weeks, after I dropped it off and said "Take a couple of weeks to do it all" and they couldnt do the front seal because the bolt was done up too tight...

Took it to a second mechanic and they did the front crank seal in 5 hours. It was pretty tight and they had to heat it up to remove it.

Mods wise, I upgraded the wheels to 17x9 with a -26 offset.

Had a set of 285/70 Wrangler Duratracs on it and found a set of 305/70 Maxxis BIghorns, so I have those on it now.

I got a BA bonnet bulge and put it on. Planning to smooth it out and then cover the bonnet with the carbon fibre look alike wrap to stop glare.

Have a pair of roof bars now and will be fitting them with the modded alloy roof rack I got and fitting the 50" curved lightbar to that.

Fitted a smaller light bar facing back over the tray for a work/reverse light.

Fitted up my reverse camera just under it as well.

I have a 4" stainless snorkel on the way today.

I took it to the panel beaters and got the corners of the bullbar pulled back down and straightened.
20161212_181555.jpg
20161212_181538.jpg
Check it out Here

mickkk
Here and there

Unread post by mickkk » December 15th, 2016, 11:40 am

Looked at this about a year ago. Ended up going for a new Ranger.
But it looks like you will clean it up and turn it into a ripper truck. :thumb:

105DualCab

Unread post by 105DualCab » December 29th, 2016, 7:41 pm

The oil gauge would occasionaly have a fit, I think from getting a bad connection at the terminals, so I looked into it and found some info on relocating the sender to stop the vibration and heat of the engine getting to it.

Bought a 3ft line kit off ebay for $60 and fitted it up today.

Ran the line from where the sender used to be screwed into the T block on the engine and up to the fuel filter.

Used a bracket off one of the relays a piece of old radiator hose and a hose clamp to mount the sender to the fuel filter bracket, and ran the line tucked away nicely.
20161229_184731.jpg
20161229_184716.jpg
20161229_184702.jpg
The carbon fiber vinyl wrap has arrived so Ill get the bonnet finished soon.

The snorkel arrived too, so Ill be hunting down a guard to cut out and some 4 inch silicone hose and fitting that up as soon as I can.
20161229_190435.jpg
20161229_190502.jpg
Check it out Here

105DualCab

Unread post by 105DualCab » December 29th, 2016, 8:08 pm

Went for a trip out bush for christmas, went hunting and had some fun but it rained a storm all day boxing day and so we headed in the next day in case it got worse. It was pretty fun, the road had a good solid bed but had heaps of catchment areas where the road filled up full of waist deep water, a couple were over 300 meters long.

So it was a pretty fun trip back in to the highway at least.

These water crossings reminded me of when I got the truck stuck in some water and ended up with a chockers full diff with water and mud, so when I got back I checked all the oils and luckily there was none in the diffs this time. It reminded me to put diff breather extensions on the to do list though.

The ride also drove home the memory of how good air conditioning is!, Cruising at 100 with muddies howling and 2 windows down is LOUD!

Another thing added to the list..

I also fitted up the wind shields to the doors, they work a treat in the rain being able to have the windows all down a crack for some airflow, especially while the A/C is out of commission..

Fitted the roof bars and the roof rack, I have it mounted so it hangs further over the front at the moment, but on the trip I noticed all the things at the front were getting flicked over from the wind coming off the windscreen I guess so ill have to look into it and might have to turn the rack around and cut it shorter at the back instead.

Still yet to fit up the light bar because I need to find the final happy spot for the rack.

I want to mount a second water temp gauge, so I got one of the adapters that fit in the radiator hose, spent an hour or so trimming and getting it all lined up sweet and sealed. Hadnt finished off the gauge though and yesterday during the after trip check I noticed it has blown out, so I replaced the top hose with a new one and im going to get a second upper outlet and drill and tap out a hole to fit the sensor there instead.

So the list is

Fit up the snorkel.
Diff breather extensions
Water temp gauge
Air conditioning.

Go to wreckers and acquire
some inner wheel arch liners and fit them up properly.
a RH guard
and a drivers door body seal.

Gotta give it a good wash too.
Check it out Here

105DualCab

Unread post by 105DualCab » December 30th, 2016, 11:41 am

20161230_105108.jpg
20161230_105056.jpg
20161230_105033.jpg
20161230_105017.jpg
20161230_105005.jpg
Check it out Here

Return to “Members Rides, Buildups, and Projects”