Another 60 another project

Whether it's your first tourer or a hardcore playtruck, show us your vehicle or what you're building inside, and keep us up to date on your mods as they happen!
BigDutchy
Need to get out more

Re: Another 60 another project

Unread post by BigDutchy » May 3rd, 2016, 7:56 pm

You must be happy with that mate. It looks great

Neat 60
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Neat 60 » May 3rd, 2016, 8:03 pm

Cheers mate. Yeah very happy that its about to go back on the road - missed not being able to go bush - was having serious withdrawals.

Rego on Monday and High Country Thursday :thumb:

claytone
Been here a while

Unread post by claytone » May 6th, 2016, 11:57 pm

That's a seriously tidy 60 very envious mate! great job, can't wait to see it with a few mods!

Neat 60
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Neat 60 » May 10th, 2016, 6:49 am

Took Red for rego yesterday and was hoping that the inspector was going to ask for a flex test on the yellow flex ramp :twisted:
IMG_0582.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BigDutchy
Need to get out more

Unread post by BigDutchy » May 13th, 2016, 5:57 pm

That's the fastest flex ramp around mate...

Neat 60
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Neat 60 » May 18th, 2016, 3:25 pm

1st trip done and dusted
IMG_0664.JPG
IMG_0621.JPG
IMG_0669.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

volksrod
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by volksrod » May 18th, 2016, 6:28 pm

Great looking truck mate would love one just like it how did the auto go?

Neat 60
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Neat 60 » May 19th, 2016, 6:18 am

Thanks mate.

On the open road the auto is a dream! On the tracks it will take some getting used to though as it doesn't engine brake in low range as good as the manual. On the plus side however when it comes to climbing I don't need to maintain momentum to minimise gear changes like I used to with the stick.

A/T fluid temp light came on a couple of times under load in low range. Its got an after marker cooler on it but I didn't get around to changing the fluid and filter before I went so I'll give that a go before I get too worried about it.

stockhorse
Need to get out more

Unread post by stockhorse » May 19th, 2016, 10:33 am

So Neat,we know you have had the 3f,the 2h turbo and now the 12ht so give us a comparison.

ps a few clicks on the handbrake helps with downhill engine braking.

Neat 60
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Neat 60 » May 19th, 2016, 10:59 am

Chalk and cheese mate- comparisons below;

2F = fuel guzzling slug - very reliable donk though
2H (N/A) = slug but good on fuel and reliable.
2H (T) = good power, good fuel economy but constantly fighting high EGT and coolant temps - always felt like it was a ticking bomb.
12HT = HEAPS of power, fuel efficient and a great sounding diesel engine at idle and on power.

Neat 60
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Neat 60 » September 8th, 2016, 7:25 pm

So auto has gone bang :worry: :whyme:

AT temp light had come on a few times since I've had it on the road & tracks. I put a bigger cooler on it which didn't help. I teed another one into it which also didn't help. Towing the camper home from Walhalla the other week was the final straw - by the time I got home I had no drive and it smelt like a burnt out manual clutch (smoke included) - checked the fluid and it was blacker then the engine oil...

I've had a quote from Wholesale Automatics for a rebuild, extreme valve body and billet TC and fair to say all my lower teeth nearly broke when my jaw hit the ground :eek:

Done a fair bit of reading on IH8 Mud about it and there's a lot of interesting threads on the A440 - search "Rodney's Party Trick" for yourself :eek:

So I've done said party trick as well as a " Rodney Flush" and low and behold it has slowly started to come back from the dead. Hopefully I should get out of it without a full rebuild and just the extreme valve body and billet TC which I've been told will all but fix the overheating issues as well as improve engine braking and give TC lock up in 3rd as well as 4th.

If all that fails ill just convert it to manual :p

Neat 60
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Neat 60 » September 8th, 2016, 7:31 pm

Pic from Walhalla.
Aberfeldy River.jpg

stockhorse
Need to get out more

Unread post by stockhorse » September 9th, 2016, 2:45 pm

Neat ,I have the wholesale auto box in mine. I had the extreme valve body but got it swapped over to the "nomad" valve body as the extreme was to harsh on shifts both on and off road.If you are towing with extreme valve body it is very jerky on the trailer or van you are towing.
I can also tell you it 100% does NOT help with engine braking.
You do get TC lockup in 3rd and 4th and it happens at 70kph regardless of being in 3rd or 4th
My personal opinion is that the wholesale auto box is not worth the money.
My stock auto performed as well as the wholesale box (with the exception of 3rd gear lockup) never overheated or gave me any problems.Oil change (as per manual) every 25k.
That said, I did not do extreme off road towing a camper or trailer.

stockhorse
Need to get out more

Unread post by stockhorse » September 9th, 2016, 2:50 pm

Neat 60 wrote:Pic from Walhalla.
Aberfeldy River.jpg

Neat looking at this pic and your gearbox woes,have you extended the breather on the gearbox? Could your box have sucked in some water?

Neat 60
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Neat 60 » September 9th, 2016, 4:44 pm

All interesting info there Stock thanks for that. I certainly don't want harsh shift changes so if I do go this route I'll go the nomad. I'm hearing you with the whole not worth the money part - it's hard to justify $6k is good value for money on a 30 year old bus :crazy:

Nah the river crossing wouldn't have effected it as it had been overheating well before that. At one river crossing the light was on when I went in and on the way out it was off so if anything it helped :lol:

Return to “Members Rides, Buildups, and Projects”