Another 60 another project

Whether it's your first tourer or a hardcore playtruck, show us your vehicle or what you're building inside, and keep us up to date on your mods as they happen!
Neat 60
Part of the furniture

Another 60 another project

Unread post by Neat 60 » March 10th, 2016, 9:31 pm

Had an impulse buy the other week :waycool:
IMG_0207.JPG
HJ60 12HT Auto Sahara with the works! I was initially going to flip it but decided it was too good to let go. Sadly though that means I have to part ways with my white 2H turbo that I couldn't even begin to tally the amount of hours that I've put into her.
IMG_0323.JPG
She's been such an awesome rig having toured MANY parts of the High Country and a trip to Fraser late last year. It will be sad to see her go but I'm sure someone will get just as much fun as I've had in her! I'm going to swap a few things over to the new one but without robbing her blind!

So moving forward the build is on! . First things first was to remove the buggered decals. I wasn't sure how it was going to pan out but after a bit of work with the heat gun and a few passes with the buff on the rear door, needless to say I'm very happy with the result :D
IMG_0320.JPG
IMG_0329.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rogers Cruiser
Part of the furniture

Re: Another 60 another project

Unread post by Rogers Cruiser » March 10th, 2016, 9:43 pm

Those decals came of nicely.

do you prefur the hightop roof or the lower one?
'98-'06 - FJ-45 Ute fell over one day and didnt survive
'06-now - HJ-47 Troopy, restored and now daily driver.
'13-now - HJ-47 Ute, Farm fresh rust bucket, needs a restoration. viewtopic.php?f=22&t=152811

now - Off Road Box/Camper Trailer. viewtopic.php?f=134&t=153968&p=1792444#p1792444

Dont listen to me, Ive got an opinion on everything!

Neat 60
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Neat 60 » March 10th, 2016, 9:47 pm

I do prefer the lower roofline but with the 12HT and the auto I'm sure I can be converted. Once I get the extended brackets for the roof rack it should soften it a bit.

stockhorse
Need to get out more

Unread post by stockhorse » March 11th, 2016, 1:15 am

This will be fun to watch

BigDutchy
Need to get out more

Unread post by BigDutchy » March 11th, 2016, 2:52 pm

I'll join you stockhorse. Bring it on Neat!!

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » March 11th, 2016, 5:12 pm

I think there'll be more'n just a couple of verrry interrrested watchers on this thread! :thumb:

But I gotta ask Neat, how do you keep finding these relatively un-molested 60's out there??! Every one I find is either rusted to buggry or been subject to some pretty disappointing 'mods' or other nasty treatment by over-zealous previous owners!? :(
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Neat 60
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Neat 60 » March 11th, 2016, 6:18 pm

Cheers guys.

I'm always trawling the net for 60's and 80's to flip - this one was just too good to let go. I guess you could say it was a 'barn find' as it's been sitting around undercover on a farm for a few years. Gutters, pillars and all the usual places that these collect rust are all clear. Interior is in good nick which just needs a tidy up like the rest of it - its even got the rear dickey seats still in it.
IMG_0438.JPG
IMG_0437.JPG
IMG_0439.JPG
The business end :D

Today wasn't as successful as yesterday with the result of the rear door. Found a couple of dodgy repairs on the LHR 1/4 but easy enough to fix. When I pulled the flares off the inside of them were caked in mud which had started a small surface rust spot on the lower sill - put some rust convertor on it which should put a stop to it continuing any further. Ill paint below the recessed part in the panel and it should blend in nicely. Also trailed one of the MTZ's off the white one which looks much better!
IMG_0440.JPG
The decals on the left front door are proving to be a bitch to get off :irked: . I cant get a continuous run peeling it off like before so I've been at it with a heat gun, plastic razor blade and an eraser wheel in a drill and it slowly coming off with no damage to the paint.
IMG_0436.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BigDutchy
Need to get out more

Unread post by BigDutchy » March 11th, 2016, 8:46 pm

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Caramel-Whee ... By7I71INcQ

Try the above. I never have but I have heard that this is the way to go

Neat 60
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Neat 60 » March 11th, 2016, 8:57 pm

Cheers Dutchy. I have been using one of them but I know it as an eraser wheel :confused:

stockhorse
Need to get out more

Unread post by stockhorse » March 11th, 2016, 11:45 pm

prepsol on a rag, soak decal well and leave for 1/2 an hour. Then if it will not lift off use Caramel/eraser wheel and then prepsol for last reminents.

BigDutchy
Need to get out more

Unread post by BigDutchy » March 12th, 2016, 7:32 am

Caramel sounds tastier....can I have a large caramel wheel please.....fries with that?

Neat 60
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Neat 60 » March 12th, 2016, 3:30 pm

:lol:

Anyone out there experienced with bodywork that can give me a tip to get rid of this?
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I've tired all my tricks, heat, eraser wheel, prepsol, acetone and it doesn't budge. Tried 1500 and it just started taking paint off :eek:

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » March 12th, 2016, 3:59 pm

Can you see if it's actually crazed 'striping' on top of the paint without anything covering it; or has someone put a clear coat or 2 over the top of the dodgy old crazed striping?? :confused:

I had no end of trouble getting similar accent stripes off the sides of one of our Ferozas, cos before we owned it, someone painting after a repair or 2 back had just clear coated 3 or 4 coats of clear over the top of the dodgy stripes & all the paintwork!! I guess it meant the whole thing looked shiny & they didn't hafta pay to remove & replace the striping..... but it meant that to fix the dodgy stripes I had to take ALL the clear coat layers off before I got down far enough to bwe able to touch the striping. Still, once I got there, the caramel/eraser wheel took it off beeyoudifully!! :thumb:

If you can't get a flake of striping off at all by lifting carefully from inside one of the gaps/cracks, chances are the dodgy stripes have been covered as is with clear coat & you won't stand a chance of getting the stripes off until the clear has gone.... and that means either you strip the clear directly over the stripes & hope you don't slip into the paint work anywhere & that you can fix/patch the whole panel later; or you aim to take clear coat off all the roof until you get down to the striping - but if you cut/strip too deep anywhere on the roof, you are probably gonna hafta to strip & repaint the entire roof to fix it all so it looks any good!! :(

Good Luck!
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Neat 60
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Neat 60 » March 12th, 2016, 4:07 pm

Nah there's no clear coat over it, I can feel the different texture of the strip and the paint. It's almost like someone has peeled the decal off and left the glue behind to bake in the sun :irked:

stockhorse
Need to get out more

Unread post by stockhorse » March 15th, 2016, 3:29 am

Last resort time to prevent a respray. Dry ice directly on the sticker area for up to a minute then a plastic scraper with a slightly rouned edge .Or dry ice blasting if you want to spend the dollars.

Return to “Members Rides, Buildups, and Projects”