Doing GQ Patrol RB30 swap - what g/box is needed?

Whether it's your first tourer or a hardcore playtruck, show us your vehicle or what you're building inside, and keep us up to date on your mods as they happen!
Universal_GQ
I'm new, be nice!

Doing GQ Patrol RB30 swap - what g/box is needed?

Unread post by Universal_GQ » March 5th, 2016, 7:18 am

Hey guys, knew to the forum and loving it!!

I just brought a 1993 GQ patrol wagon had the tb42 engine and auto box in but I want to put RB30 turbo in and a Manuel box. If anyone can help with what gearbox I need and anything else that's involved in the conversion would be much appreciated. It's my first 4x4 project so open to other swaps as well that are fairly cheap. Thanks fellas
GQBRAHH

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: Doing GQ Patrol RB30 swap - what g/box is needed?

Unread post by Peter Aawen » March 8th, 2016, 1:46 pm

The gearbox that goes behind the RB30 in the Patrol is pretty much unique - it has basically the same internals as the box behind that motor in the Skylines etc, but I believe the casing front & rear & the selector mechanism are all just a little different to suit the Patrol. So that means that if you are transplanting an RB30 into a Patrol, you pretty much need to get the matching RB30/Patrol gearbox (or at least the casing) to make sure you get a box that will mate up to the engine when it's in the Patrol & to the transfer case....

The final drive ratio in the diffs is also different for the RB30 to what it is for Patrols with other motors, altho if you are changing wheel/tyre sizes to significantly increase the rolling dia, you may want to vary the diff ratio to suit the different sizes anyway - but it is another 'something' to consider.

Still, it shouldn't be a major issue, & it's probably one of the 'easier' engine swaps you could do as a first 4x4 Project. ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Return to “Members Rides, Buildups, and Projects”